Archinect
anchor

Despite Ivy League acceptances, still unsure if M.Arch is worth it?

Eagle_Dept

I am aware that there have been threads like this before, but hopefully this one won't be derailed by a couple users and can help others also debating the M.Arch degree and commitment to architecture.

but here's my story: I feel like I'm at a crossroads. I'm 24, have a PRE-professional B.Arch and 2 years at a small firm which so far has been satisfactory. Will likely go to Yale, MIT, or possibly Berkeley (2 years instead of 3), but can't help but feel like I'm going mostly for the experience and new connections. I am hesitant about such an intensive and expensive education to be making 40k when I graduate (if I can find a job). Luckily through scholarships + my parents savings I won't leave with more than 10k debt.

Can anybody chime in if their M.Arch degree (especially from a "top tier" school) was worth it? Would you go back and do it again if you could? Did you enjoy your experience? Interested in hearing from everybody, but especially the few people age 28+ around here

BTW If I decide not to go, I took engineering classes in college so would only have 1 year of bost-bacc before entering a Masters in engineering, also considering ComSci or an area with more opportunity, even at the sacrifice of initial social contribution. I used to look down on corporate jobs and technical fields, but with age those paths look less and less ugly.

Maybe going to the upcoming open houses will get me more excited! Once again any thoughts from people with more experience would be much appreciated!

Mar 28, 12 4:44 pm
Token AE

The notion that architecture is somehow superior in terms of social contribution to other fields is laughable. Different is more apt.

As you get further out into your career, you will see that people are able to improve the community around them in ways other than (many of them better) sound architectural design. Sometimes it's hard to see other options with the blinders of academia on.

I consider the fact that your viewpoint is at least somewhat flexible a statement of growing maturity. If you really want to help people, don't be afraid to look into other avenues. Medicine, nursing, sustainable food production, nonprofits, etc.

Personally, I straddled the line between engineering and architecture, made 6 figures after 3 years, and currently donate a portion of that towards community development projects that I volunteer on.

Mar 28, 12 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

IF you can do engineering, then it is probably a much, much better career path.  I actually spent a few years in engineering school myself before switching to architecture because the mathematics involved in engineering was just vomit inducing for me and it felt like I was always on the verge of flunking out.

On the other hand, $10k of debt is very reasonable by architecture's standards these days especially for top schools.  Then again, your parents might appreciate it if you don't spend down their savings.  Just a hunch, yo!

Mar 28, 12 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
Lian Chikako Chang

Current GSD student/old lady here. I'm very happy that I chose to do an M.Arch.I, but I have to say, if you're trying to justify the choice to yourself as being "worth it," then it sounds like there is significant doubt in your mind. $10k debt is not toooo bad but, as the previous commenter mentioned, it's not really "just" 10k if you consider whatever amount of your parents' savings you are drawing down.

Mar 28, 12 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Take your parents money and invest it.   Where, I have no idea. 

If your parents are fairly affluent, I'd look at MBA/MSRED/March (what I would do, if I were you), then you can get out, design what you want, how you want, make money (eventually).  You would/could also make money for your parents, or at the very least, you would have connections that allowed you to do what you enjoy.

Money makes architecture, so depending on how easily you can access it (via family, their friends, investors) you can create a great and enjoyable career.

Architecture, as a profession, is wonderful if you have access to money.  If this is your parent's life's savings, then you might think about making sure you have a good return on their investment (doesn't matter if you give it back, or not, but I'd guess if they gave you $50-100k and you bitched about how little you made, how few opportunities, how the world doesn't care about quality architecture, they'd be a little annoyed). 

Mar 29, 12 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: