Archinect
anchor

Did anyone see the indian low budget movie "WATER" ?

ET

Any thoughts ?

Aug 20, 06 4:16 am
sameolddoctor

it was not exactly 'low budget'. Everything from the shooting techniques to the locales to the actors was pretty high budget.

Now that that's sorted out, i have to say I liked the movie very much, especially since it breaks out of the mould of traditional indian movies produced by bollywood every year. I had like both 'Fire' and 'Earth' and this is a befitting end to the trilogy.

Be interesting to hear if others here watched it and what they think...

Aug 20, 06 4:42 am  · 
 · 
ET

>I loved the whole movie in general - one of the real good ones i saw this year - reminds me of Memoirs of a Geisha (actually thats y i said low budget , since compared to that this proved to be much better without all the superstar directors and designers)

>1 question - who thought at the ending when Didi stayed and just gave "Tchuya" to go with Gandhi that it was a little dramatic more than it should have been - y couldnt she have taken the train 2 and spare us the guilt ?
(i thought maybe she didnt have the money but hell the guy was there he could have taken her as well and ended happily)
one suicide was dramatic enough no?

Aug 20, 06 5:42 am  · 
 · 
athenaeum

concur with sameolddoctor: not exactly low budget. be careful when you use that term to describe a film.

sorry ET - this film is not in the same category as memoirs of a geisha - a movie that quite inaccurately portrayed many of the subleties of geisha culture.

i went to the screening party for 'water' at the vancouver international film festival last year. deepa mehta spoke [the director] - what a marvelous women with a fantastic eye for film. the film was met with massive controversy because of the fracas that arose in india during filming, although i believe it was actually shot in pakistan.

Aug 20, 06 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Sotthi

Didn't see the movie, but read a synopsis.

An Indian family I know are literally excommunicated for inauspicion by their friends and relatives, a barrage of questions, because their daughter's marriage broke in a year. So nevermind widowhood.

Whatever reasons or whatever made earlier hindu scriptures to bar widows from certain activities, I think it took an irrational and callous manifestation in the social realm. Nothing to do with the thoughts or the reasoning behind the original scriptures. These kinds of exploitation still happen, despite the ending of the superstitious age, the shadows still live on. And in India atleast, this sad fact is not exclusive to Hinduism.

Aug 24, 06 10:23 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Definately a good movie. Being completely ignorant of the Hindu religion/philosophy/culture, it was very interesting to watch this. The colors were very rich and saturated which made for a great visual experience. Even without the great visuals, I think the plot could've stood on its own. The plot was deep, intricate, subtle and at moments quite profound.

After the movie I did find out that this movie is part of a trilogy as SameOldDoctor has pointed out. From my understanding though, they aren't related? I am looking forward to watching those eventually and any of her new films.

I did find that she is going to be directing a movie called The Julia Project. Apparently it is going to be based on a true story of an American interior designer that married the last crown King of Korea who happened to be an architect.

Aug 24, 06 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: