Archinect
anchor

raimund abraham

Does anyone know of a website for Raimund Abraham's studio?

Aug 19, 06 3:21 am
montu

cooperunion.edu

Aug 19, 06 7:51 am  · 
 · 
c

sorry , meant his practice r a ateliers...

Aug 19, 06 11:08 am  · 
 · 
yep

He doesn't have one

Aug 19, 06 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
c

- does he have an email do you think? he can't be too old skool , especially as he has projects going on - any thoughts on where to look ?

Aug 19, 06 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
c

or yep, do you happen to know that for a fact....?

Aug 19, 06 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
yep

I know he doesn't have a web-site - you might want to track him down through SCIArc or Cooper Union (even though he doesn't teach there anymore) - Do you know if that China project is still happenning?

Aug 19, 06 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
c

haven't heard that the china proj. is off, so i assume it's on - given the time he seems to take with other projects, it'll crop up in 5 years..

http://www.barlieb.com/ has done work w. him on that project before, i don't know how involved they still are .

He's alive and kicking for a little while more, and i'd like to learn from him while that's still the case .The only exposure i've had to him is through work -buildings, plans , writting etc. it's all v. frustrating.

has anyone here had him as a proff either @ cooper or sciarc?

Aug 20, 06 12:36 am  · 
 · 
curo

i studied with him at cooper just before hejduk passed away. there is nothing good to be said about him either as a teacher or as a human being. he is a bad man; almost evil. misoginist, anti-semite, racist, narcissist. nor a particulary insightful critic, despite being ascerbic, cruel, petty and prone to ad-hominim(sp?) attacks. i would be interested (and suprised) to learn if any cooper grads felt differently.

Aug 21, 06 12:11 am  · 
 · 
pourstone

I had the impression that those graduates from cooper union during the pre-Hejduk days were true architects in the every sense of the word, judging from the works that were created within the Hejdukian pedigogical environment. I suppose there must be a few stubborn niavetes whom almost resist the humanity of architectural creation. Though harsh in his words of criticism, he is the most truthful, if not enlightening professor and critic I've ever encountered. He is filled with wisdom, and of course the sarcasm and humor to come with it.
.......And this is coming from a SCI_Arc environment.

He is a very humble man; with only a few projects that he would, as an architect, to ever be glamourized. And the China project is underway.

He DOES have email... just not a website.

Aug 21, 06 12:42 am  · 
 · 
pourstone

this is what happens when I don't preview my post..

I said ... "to ever be glamorized", I meant "to never be glamorized"..

Aug 21, 06 12:45 am  · 
 · 
alexan

curo,

out of curiousity, did you also study under joan walthemath? judging by her demeanor, she does not seem like one to put up with misogony, but i may be wrong.
and wasn't he a first year professor for a greater part of his time at cooper? were you one of the lucky ones asked to get a glass of water while your model was ignited?

Aug 22, 06 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
c

heard of the glass of water treatment , that ranks with the worst!

Aug 22, 06 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
curo

I did not study with Joan; nor were any of my projects burnt nor savaged (though, of course, i was witness to many a savaging). I liked, and thrived in the harsh, confrontational reviews we sometimes had there. If one had done good work and was willing to stand up and defend it articulately and listen to opposing views and accept valid criticism, no problem. (other than with Ray, who took every question as a personal affront) I had good relations with most of the faculty, and especially with John Hejduk. So Ray would usually just up and walk out during my crits. Like most bullies, he would slink away when stood up to, only to try and backstab later. He kissed John's ass every chance he got, and picked on those he could get away with it. Really despicable behavior. Likewise, strong confident women were not the targets of his misogyny, but the sensitive and vulnerable he preyed on like a jackal; too sly to be overt. He hurt many people; and not in a good way.

As for "poor stoned" views, well ... maybe his/her username explains it (not that there's anything wrong with it ...), or maybe the abrahamonian "pedigogical(sic) environment" is just what s/he needs, or maybe s/he is a fool. If s/he wasn't at Cooper with us, then maybe I know a little more about what it was like there. But I do not believe I speak from a position of "stubborn niavete(sic)" s/he may disagree with me about Ray A.. Fine. I may be angry, I may even be wrong; but naive? No. "resisting the humanity of architectural creation"? you must be kidding. i can only hope. And by "pre-Hejdukian", I assume s/he doesn't really mean before Hejduk's time, but before his passing, i.e. pre-Henderson/pre-Vidler.

Any other Cooper grads want to share Ray A. stories?

Aug 23, 06 1:57 am  · 
 · 
alexan
here

is an interesting arcticle which is quite relevant (at least the first half) to this conversation and the evolution of our education system in the past 30 or so years

Aug 23, 06 11:38 pm  · 
 · 

fun article, xietao. thanks.

Aug 24, 06 7:40 am  · 
 · 
c

nice article- i'm a sap for nostalgic good'ol days stories - stupid really, but it makes the incumbant kings of arch - paper or otherwise , seem more human , illustrates their frustrations and mistakes which go unmentioned once they're siting on top.

Aug 24, 06 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: