3) San Diego

4) Houston

5) Dallas

6) Austin

7) Denver

8) Phoenix

9) Atlanta

10) Orlando

I selected Los Angeles as the First one because this is big city, and it should have more architecture. It doesn't have too much architecture to see. Of course, it has really great buildings to see in the city. But I think the city should have more architecture that you can appreciate 

Mar 25, 12 11:19 pm
Dani Zoe

definitely philadelphia!

Mar 26, 12 12:38 am  · 
 · 
FederallyFunded

what do you mean when you say  more architecture?  When we think about architecture we mostly consider making or building something, adding something that wasn't there....have you ever consider a non-building?

just throwing questions out there...

on the other hand....Baltimore seriously needs some people to clean some sh....t up...such a craphole.. 

Mar 26, 12 5:09 am  · 
 · 
FederallyFunded

i meant " a non-building approach" *

Mar 26, 12 5:10 am  · 
 · 

Houston only number 4???? I think it should at least be considered number 2. Especially when you consider the population and lack of building code. 

Mar 26, 12 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
piero1910

Well, what I mean is cities that need more architectural development. Cities that should have better and more architecture due to its population and economy, such as Los Angeles which is a city that has some good architecture but it is lacking of it. Los Angeles has great buildings, such as Getty Center, Disney Concert Hall, High School Number 9, Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, case studies houses, Caltrans District 7 Headquarters and Crystal Cathedral. But this is not enough for the size of the city. Of course, those are good architecture projects, and the city has other ones. But what I am trying to say is that you compare this city to Chicago or New York, and this city lacks of architecture. The downtown are is a problem because it has too many parking lots that could be used to build buildings. Currently, it is that peopel are trying to see that in LA. Revitalizing the Downtown. Even though, there are projects which are stuck as the Grand Avenue Project by Frank Gehry. That project would bring benefits for downtown LA and would improve the area too. So that is my opinion for that city. 

Mar 26, 12 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

James:

Hrm... Houston uses an amended IBC... It has a building code.

What it doesn't have is a zoning resolution/code.

Mar 26, 12 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

oops. yes i meant houston has no zoning. 

Mar 26, 12 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

San Diego #3? I studied architecture there - They do have Salk and Neuro Sciences - then again SD has a lot of MacMansion and stucco wastelands - San Diego deletes it's history as it goes along - I now work in San Francisco where it is all about it's history and how to embrace w/o being detrimental - working in a museum so to speak

Mar 26, 12 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
Thomas Washington

Looks like Los Angeles is at least making an effort... this project took silver in last years regional Holcim Awards... http://www.holcimfoundation.org/T1381/A11NAsiUS.htm

Mar 26, 12 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

It always cracks me up when by "architecture" someone really means "buildings considered avant garde and completed in the last decade or two."

Keep looking, Piero, and don't limit yourself.  LA has lots of good architecture, from every era.

Mar 26, 12 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
piero1910

I am not saying that LA does not have good architecture. It really has impressive buildings. The buildings that this city has are unique. But I think that the city needs more development of architecture because you compare this city to cities of the same size or smaller, and some of them have more architecture. I do not know if I can say that those cities have better architecture. 

Mar 26, 12 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

LA has more architecture than all of the other cities combined...see citizens post

Mar 27, 12 12:25 am  · 
 · 
piero1910

OK. I understand your points. But that was not my impression in the downtown area. Downtown area does not have sufficient architecture. Of course, LA has architecture but it is spread out. 

Mar 27, 12 5:17 am  · 
 · 

this is a goofy conversation.

reminds me of a time in new orleans while i was on the streetcar when the guy behind me pointed out the window and said to his wife: "look at the architecture on that building." 

Mar 27, 12 8:37 am  · 
 · 
citizen

In or near Downtown Los Angeles (a partial list):

• LA City Hall
• Union Station
• LA Central Library
• Bradbury Building
• Biltmore Hotel
• Pershing Square
• MOCA
• Temporary MOCA
• Southern California Edison Building
• Music Center
• Title Guarantee & Trust Building
• Oviatt Building
• Ninth and Broadway Building
• Eastern Columbia Building
• Gas Company Tower
• US Bank Tower
• Standard Hotel
• City National Bank Plaza
• Bonaventure Hotel
• Pacific Mutual Building
• Subway Terminal Building
• Broadway Department Store
• Angels Flight
• Grand Central Market
• Fine Arts Building
• Department of Water and Power
• Farmers & Merchants Building
• Historic Plaza Church
• One Bunker Hill
• Million Dollar Theater
• Mayan Theater
• Tower Theater
• Bullocks Wilshire
• St. Vibiana’s Cathedral
• 1st, 4th, and 7th Street Bridges
• Pico House
• Staples Center
• Memorial Coliseum
• Mudd Hall of Philosophy (USC)
• Doheny Library (USC)
• Automobile Club of Southern California
• St. John’s Episcopal Church
• St. Vincent’s Catholic Church

I'd write more, but my hands are getting tired...

Mar 27, 12 11:53 am  · 
 · 

Los Angeles has a downtown?

Yo?

Mar 27, 12 11:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: