Archinect
anchor

IDP with a B.A. Arch

saradeegs

Just wondering whether and/or how much not having a B.Arch would limit the amount of IDP i can potentially get through at work.

Thanks!

Aug 14, 06 7:25 pm
some person

Are you currently working on a B.Arch?

Check www.ncarb.org for the requirements. If I recall correctly, once you've finished your third year of an undergraduate program, you can enroll in the program. I took advantage of this opportunity and started to earn IDP hours while still in school. This allowed me to complete a substantial amount before I finished my M.Arch. I hope that you can do the same.

Aug 14, 06 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

NCARB does allow you to start counting after completion of your 3rd year (provided you have accumulated a certain number of credits.)

Experience only counts if it is continous for at least 35 hours per week for 8 consecutive weeks, or if part-time then it must be no less than 20 hours per week for 6 consecutive months.

You should be aware that some state boards - New York is one - have restrictions that affect students. New York does not allow any internship credit for work completed while concurrently enrolled as a student attending school half-time or more. In addition to ordering an IDP packet from NCARB you should visit your state board's website to check for state-specific regulations.

Aug 15, 06 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
saradeegs

I'm not in school, I already graduated (with a BA Arch) and I'm working full time at a firm. To clarify, I was wondering if there was a limit to the amount of credits I can earn due to the fact that I have a pre-professional degree.

Aug 15, 06 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Hmm. The website is definitely mute on this one... seems to suggest there is no cap. There's a dude on here by the name of LivingInGin whom I believe holds a B.A. Arch and has completed his IDP--I'm not sure though. You might email him.

Aug 15, 06 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

There's no limit as far as NCARB is concerned.

I don't think there's any limit for any state board either.
In fact, with a pre-professional architecture major and a longer internship (anywhere from 5 to 13 years) it is still possible to get licensed in about 15 states.
Not that I'd recommend that. It makes getting reciprocity difficult in other states later.

Aug 15, 06 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

One thing though: your pre-professional architecture major has to pass muster as a pre-professional architecture curriculum. Basically if it was a "4" component of your school's "4+2" program, or if it has been evaluated before by NAAB as a "4" component, or if people from your school have been able to get advanced standing in at least some first-professional M.Arch programs then it counts. If none of the above then NCARB may or may not give you a hassle about it (and if they were to rule that it didn't count then no work experience would count toward IDP until you finished the 1st year of an M.Arch program.)

Aug 15, 06 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

You rang?

Actually, I'm still working on my BA with a focus in architecture at DePaul University, not an officially-sanctioned pre-professional degree. (But I'm trying to structure it as close to one as possible -- DePaul's program gives me a lot of flexibility in that regard.)

Also, while I have about 10 years worth of work experience at various firms, none of it counts for IDP as far as I know.

Aug 16, 06 12:45 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I found this old thread and decided to bump it cause I am curious to know how long it took most people to complete there IDP credits. Its pretty easy to complete the SD, DD and CD requirements but there are a few others that seem to be much more difficult to complete such as building cost analysis, bidding & contract negotiation, etc.

I have worked at the same firm for almost 3 years and I didn't sign up for IDP until about 1.5 years ago. Right now I think I am a little over half way through it all. So how long did it/will it take you?

Apr 29, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

I reported all of my experience retroactively - in other words I didn't start my council record until I was done with all my units. But then I had to pay the extra $400 "rush fee" that they charge if you start your record in the same year that you want to start testing.
NCARB is trying to introduce a rule now that would make this impossible - they're trying to make it so that you must submit your employment reports at least once every 6 months or else lose those units. A couple states already have rules like that.

When I finally submitted my forms I had about 6 years of experience and more than twice as many units total as I needed, though only just above the minimum in a few categories - like bidding and contracts.

There was an article in "Residential Architecture" a year or two ago in which an NCARB rep stated that the average length of time before graduation and completing the exam is 7.5 years.

Apr 29, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
n_

If NCARB passes the new biannual credit submission , it will not be implemented until 2009. I view that as two more years in which I can procrastinate.

Apr 29, 07 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
postal

it might take me less time to complete my idp hours than NCARB to approve them...

graduated BArch spring '06... just under 90 tu's to go... (kept my hours at 25 throughout school)

and j, i have the same motivation...

Apr 30, 07 9:31 am  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

my suggestion is this: if you don't have a professional, accredited degree in architecture, you have to see if your state board will even allow you to take the ARE. that means experience alone might not cut it. in oregon, i know that you have to graduate with an accedited professional degree at a minimum, then fulfill the NCARB IDP. if your state doesn't allow registration without a professional degree, then it's a moot point anyway. even if you find a state that allows experience for registration, most likely you would have to move to that state and work under the supervision of a licensed architect in that state (which could be a major hassle as previous experience might not be allowed). and as previously pointed out, reciprocity would be a bitch.

Apr 30, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

postal: that's great! But I hope you're not in New York state or planning to apply for reciprocity there anytime soon. New York doesn't count experience earned while enrolled as a student.

Devil Dog: in most cases the states don't require that the experience be earned in that state - or even that the person applying for licensing there live or work in that state. A lot of people pick the states through which they first register based on the state's rules. For instance lots of people register first through Texas because it allows testing before completion of IDP, or through Vermont because it allows licensing with just a highschool diploma. Most of those people don't live there, work there, or even take the test there - they just pay the fees there!

But of course there's still the reciprocity issue. There's also the problem that some states (like Oregon and Pennsylvania) don't like to license people who did things out of their prescribed order - for instance take the test before completion of IDP.

Apr 30, 07 7:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: