Archinect
anchor

how to judge different construction details?

cmrhm

Hi, all,

I found an interesting book regarding dutch architectural details.  It covered some well-known dutch architects' work in construction detail area like OMA, Mecanoo, or Wiel Arets etc.  After going through several chapters, I found some style are easily identified, but most of them I still can't.  My limited experience in the detailing area prevented me from judging what is a good detail, or which one is a bad.

I will post several questions to seek you guys' opinions. my first question is how to judge if these details are good one? 

Mar 25, 12 3:29 am
Gjalt

A construction detail is "good" is it covers the building from the elements. So it has to be water and wind proof. It should show the construction. 

But since most of the buildings covered in your book probably still stand they are all "good".

The discussion that follows then is more about aesthetics then it is about construction. As you already said: They all have a very distinctive style and that makes every detail look different.

I found an image somewhere on the internet (can't find it right now) that was about the railings on stairs by different architects. And even something that looked about the same was designed completly different!

Mar 25, 12 6:03 am  · 
 · 

1. Structural integrity (weather, seismic, etc.).

2. Human factors (individual and social).

3. Efficiency (materials, maintenance and life cycle, cost, etc.).

4. Aesthetics.

Mar 25, 12 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Thank you guys for your input. By far, I almost finished a DD for a highrise.  Based on this experience, I felt the most and first thing is structure integrity. If the details make a building or parts of building stand, this detail achieves its goal at least 60% already.

I guess I will seperate this big topic into several smaller categories to discuss, like detail for cornice/eave, or window sill area. 

Mar 28, 12 3:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: