Archinect
anchor

batch repath of XREFs. HELP

taospan

OK. i am moving several thousand dwg files from a server in my current office to an office across the country, thus all xrefs will need to be repathed.
The file structure will remain the same, so the only change to the reference location will be the drive name.

Someone please tell me there is a way to change all the paths at once as opposed to doing it for each one...

thanks!

Aug 14, 06 8:19 am
3dGraffiti

Wouldn't it be easier to create a drive at the new location that corresponds to the existing paths?

Aug 14, 06 8:21 am  · 
 · 
taospan

it's an existing drive (F:) vesus the old (T:)... I tried to change the new drive to (T:), but had no luck.

Aug 14, 06 8:23 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Did you use full paths or relative paths for your xrefs???

Aug 14, 06 8:26 am  · 
 · 
taospan

full...all full. (not my choice..)

Aug 14, 06 8:32 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

That sucks. I can offer you only my condolences.

Aug 14, 06 9:36 am  · 
 · 
mespellrong

there are about six million freeware applications to do a global find and replace on a set of documents. try google.

Aug 14, 06 10:00 am  · 
 · 
taospan

right, but you can't replace to a new drive that doesnt exist...
there has to be a way in CAD to redirect the path of the reference...

Aug 14, 06 11:06 am  · 
 · 
3dGraffiti

Through the start menu, go to your autodesk folder and open "reference manager". From there you can change the path of groups of xref from multiple drawings. It won't do it for you, but it will help the process. This only works with 2004 and up.

Aug 14, 06 11:44 am  · 
 · 

my old office went through a move and also bought a new server machine.

i can't tell you how it was done, but it is possible. our office did not use relative path either.

keep researching.

Aug 14, 06 11:52 am  · 
 · 
StuntPilot

Google the 'Net Use' command for batch files. You can map any drive or folder to any name... I use it to mimic the office drive/folder structure on my machine at home. If you need a more permanant solution, create a login batch file with a 'net use' script to name all the server drives as you want them.

The reference manager will take quite some time and it you will probably have to open each file to verify that it actually worked = not fun.

Aug 14, 06 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
taospan

thanks ARCHIDORK, very helpful.
so do you know how exactly i would make a batch file to repath files from folder A to folder B?? something like...

repath.bat
net use /s FOLDER A > FOLDER B

if you had a sample i could look at that would be terrific

Aug 14, 06 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
StuntPilot

I haven't written a batch script in awhile... I'll post mine when I get home tonight.

Aug 14, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
StuntPilot

I messed that up. 'net use' will work in some conditions, but I had more luck with the 'subst' routine.

subst (desired drive letter): (actual drive letter or server path):\folder

examples:
subst J: K:\jobs (this will take the jobs folder on my local k: drive and define it as a drive 'j')

subst J: \\server\projects (this should define the 'projects' folder on the server (where 'server' is the name of the server) and define it as a drive "J")

Hope this helps.

Aug 14, 06 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

all i can think is somebody didn't use the ../..'s ouch hey i hope you are hourly.. ;)

May 24, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I've been having that message pop up on occasion as well, and I have no explanation for it. It seems to happen sporadically and with no logic. I'm stumped.

May 24, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

I love to be the harbinger of good news
make the switch...

Rhinoceros, we have

May 24, 07 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Yeah, show me a set of construction documents created with Rhino.

May 24, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

no problem anything possible in autocad plus more is in Rhino

May 24, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

yes for one of the largest firms in the country none the less

May 24, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'll believe that when I see it.

May 25, 07 8:32 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

its free just try and it prove it to yourself

but i have no problem to prove it to you.

autocad is a dog not to mention the CEO is on the Bush 'science' team

May 25, 07 10:24 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

the most interoperable program on earth :D

http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/CustomerStoriesArchitecture.html

not to mention with beyond cool licensing

take a class and its 199 full commercial

even the intellicads being free shows what silliness buying autocad is but that is just a clone , rhino far surpasses acad in work flow advanced creation in every way. there is a reason they didn't renew their reselling ability

even back in 96 accumodel did things acad still hasn't been able to even mimic. aesthetically forced predatory upgrade policies are just straight up wack. free yourself

May 25, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

there is so much more so say but i want you to be courageous and try it for yourself i feel it played the biggest part in me helping this top corporations division i am in have the most profitable 1/2 year ever, since i worked there it has ever had. Things are only getting / gunna get better.

May 25, 07 10:34 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

bump

May 26, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
resincake

is mcneel paying you for the spam?

May 26, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I smell a bullshit artist.

May 26, 07 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: