Archinect
anchor

TERROR TERROR TERROR in the UK

JohnProlly
WonderK

Woo hoo! I'm flying to London on Sunday! I can't wait to stand in the security queue for an hour!

Aug 10, 06 9:38 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Just make sure you cover your body in waterbottles and scream as you run through security.

Aug 10, 06 9:39 am  · 
 · 
4arch

I don't get why security needs to be beefed up so much AFTER the plot was thwarted and the suspects are all in jail!

Aug 10, 06 10:03 am  · 
 · 
babs

i think they do that so, in the event they didn't catch everybody and something bad does happens, they can't be accused of failing to act responsibly.

it's a pain - but, i suppose it has to be done.

Aug 10, 06 10:10 am  · 
 · 
doberman

Thank you very much Tony Blair for your wonderful and intelligent foreign policy whose aim was to protect us in the UK from terrorists attacks and which resulted in home grown terrorists bombing trains and buses and plotting mass attacks on international flights.

Aug 10, 06 10:16 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

... on US bound flights

Aug 10, 06 10:37 am  · 
 · 
PeteyPablo

word is they beef up security because not all of the suspects are in jail.

Aug 10, 06 10:45 am  · 
 · 

One thing I was thinking about this morning when I heard all this ruckus was that the United States is flying weapons to Israel through England. And than I thought why isn't the news media asking any questions about this connection. Is Everything always Al-Qaeda...?

Aug 10, 06 11:20 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

al quida don't like the hezbollah, i believe they consider them infidels also.

Aug 10, 06 11:40 am  · 
 · 

I agree with all these comments. But it has to be said: it's a refreshing change to read of a terrorist attack being thwarted, with everyone left still alive, and the guys / gals in power actually telling us about the threat, rather than a mixture of 'need to know' silence and the news reporting some other horrific disaster.
So congratulations are due to whoever unmasked the plot.
And no congratulations to our UK PM, who's exacrebating all the resentment in the first place.

Aug 10, 06 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

I find this nice chart from Slate helpful to understanding the world these days.

Aug 10, 06 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
babs

rationalist ... that a nice chart ... thanks ... very useful

Aug 10, 06 12:34 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, I find myself having to check it every couple of days now, to try and understand what the f*** is going on.

Aug 10, 06 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Make sure you pack your toothpaste into your checked bags. Just got the email from my TA-

Aug 10, 06 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
hyperbody

hmmm, i'm don't think you can even bring toothpaste anymore either. I'm just watching the news right now and it says that in the UK, you are no longer allowed on an airplane or beyond security check points in airports with any form of liquid or gel-like substance because they resemble the suspected form of explosive such as nitrocellulose which is a liquid explosive.

Aug 10, 06 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
hyperbody

yup, let me confirm that. As of August 10, 2006: No toothpaste allowed on carry on luggage and beyond security check points in airports. Source: CNN Headline News

Aug 10, 06 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Yeah, you have to check any gels or liquid, no carry-on... I would recommend just checking everything to save the time.

Aug 10, 06 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

ha.

Exceptions to the 'no liquids' rule: medicine and baby formula. Want to start a pool on how long it takes someone to turn a cough medicine or Gerbers bottle into a bomb? Kids will become the new terrorist accesory...

Aug 10, 06 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Barrett

...if iPods don't first

Aug 10, 06 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
postal

JohnProlly, I shouldn't have laughed, but I did! I will try to strap more waterbottles to my body the next time I fly!

Aug 10, 06 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
hyperbody

just make sure those waterbottles are empty, no liquids allowed

Aug 10, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

before logging on, i was wondering what sort of title would this thread have. 'TERROR TERROR TERROR in the UK'. Its not like one TERROR is enough...same thrill factor that got movie goers to see horror flicks in the eighties. so I either assume the author still lives in the eighties and has a streak for thrill ads minus any post-eighties irony, or is relieved by the thwarted bypassing of TERROR TERROR TERROR and hence has the luxury of parody.

Aug 10, 06 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

this is just fucking great, next thing you know there will be mandatory strip searches with probing. why does everything have to be so complicated, i'm tempted to cancel my flight to nyc now.

Aug 10, 06 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

is urine a potential threat to national security? i mean, can it react with something and go boom? in which case...umm....

Aug 10, 06 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

ok so they want people to check in their electronics, so those dells and apples with exploding batteries won't be a problem at all? i'd rather have them as onboard luggage where they can be extinguished.

Aug 10, 06 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

looks like a terror mission accomplished without killing anybody.

i also entertain in my wondering mind, how strong the governments' case is against the alleged terror suspects? i am a little suspicious of over the top public engagement in the 'ruckus'.
seems like, there is a slightly questionable absence of facts/evidence on the arrests. cosidering the usual secrecy and blanketing on these type of operations in the past, this sounds like a fully featured macabre movie.
remember the usual terror alert upgrades before the elections?
could it be stealing the show from lebanon? a destraction perhaps?
without using simplified charts and reduxes, what if, these questions have legitimate sceptisism based on past events?
do you recall satellite 'wmd' pics secretary powell was showing to united nations, in order to create a concensus that eventually sent public opinion to war?

just asking some questions, away from the deafening jet engines, thats all.

Aug 10, 06 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

WonderK - very optimistic with the one hour wait me thinks.

Worth remembering that laptops, ipods etc need to be stored in the hold where temperatures fall below zero. Dead batteries all round then. Apparently business people were fighting for their laptops as if it was their children going in the hold. Many said sod it and went home causing vast grid lock around the airports.

More tomorrow

Aug 10, 06 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

This by the end of the week!

Open wide Sir / Madam

Aug 10, 06 4:04 pm  · 
 · 

and of course a strategic picture of the airport @ yahoo had to feature an iran air 747 foreground.

covering islam. edward said.

Aug 10, 06 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

no, these aren't terrorists. apparently they are just freedom fighters who are resisting the oppression of the imperialistic zionists.

Aug 10, 06 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
hyperbody

Thom Mayne was asked in a lecture at SFMOMA concerning his position on confronting the issue of security specifically for the new Federal Building in San Francisco and he essentially noted that security is not an interest that drove the design of the building. Instead, Mayne said security is something that you have to accommodate.

Do you think this is still a viable strategy?
As architects/designers, should security be designed into airports and other "target" buildings purposefully/opaquely?

Aug 10, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

Maybe we'll start seeing architecture course options entitled 'how to make cool use of sandbags' and the like.
Someone in the office today was suggesting a combination of in-flight drinks and a pill or two might produce the 'desired' explosive effect.
Although that depends on what you mean by explosive effect.

Aug 10, 06 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the only fear is fear itself...and brown people

Aug 10, 06 6:38 pm  · 
 · 

cellardoor whore- don't even need to use urine. They GIVE OUT free beverages on the planes! Or has someone been bright enough to shut that idea down, and let the people flying internationally die of dehydration before they reach their destination?

Aug 10, 06 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Someone should invent a suicide "bomb" that is actually a pill that makes the suicide bomber pass out and dream the he has blown himself up and the plane with him. You could sell it by saying it reacts with the body to make a big boom.

They would stay passed out long enough for the plane to land and they can be thrown in a looney bin which is decked out to look like some sort of heaven afterlife. And the looney bombers can tell one another tales of their bombing.

Everyone wins.

Aug 10, 06 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

yeah, and they can get 34 virgin blow-up dolls that we will tell them are women

Aug 10, 06 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ha ha ha yes! Details details...

Aug 10, 06 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

'hmmm, i'm don't think you can even bring toothpaste anymore either.'

Pretty sure that's why I said CHECKED baggage......

Aug 10, 06 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i will not post the dude and his caucasian, man.

Aug 10, 06 11:07 pm  · 
 · 

OldFogey- just fly Air Jamaica. They'll give you champagne or Red Stripe. = )

Aug 11, 06 12:35 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Those sons a bitches better not F with my right to rock Nintendo DS on my 13 hour flight back to the US. They already screwed me out of enjoying a frosty Calpis.

Aug 11, 06 1:26 am  · 
 · 

all I can say Patrick is that I wonder what we will all say in twenty years about what is going on. will we be considering this like we are vietnam now? that our actions were better served other more constructive ways? I know your going to hate this, but if you haven t read this (PDF), give it a go and if you still feel the same way then fine. Get back to doing your good deeds.

Aug 11, 06 1:56 am  · 
 · 
ET

i just loved how Bush said "Islamic fascists"
hes really into the role.. i mean first being compared to Hitler in the iraqi war... and now islamic fascists..
OH ... wait !
does that mean that they're allies ???

:p

Aug 11, 06 2:58 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

flying out of Heathrow in a few hours...should be tons of fun!

Aug 11, 06 4:10 am  · 
 · 
TED

i smell another john/patrick fist fight in the making - ok - back to your corners lads.......breath deep.....

Aug 11, 06 4:29 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

the list of the acceptable

...a single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag, only the following items. Nothing may be carried in pockets:

Pocket-size wallets and pocket-size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (not handbags)

Travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets)

Prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg, diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic

Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases

Contact lens holders, without bottles of solution

For those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags)

Female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes)

Tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs

Keys (but no electrical key fobs). All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be X-ray screened.

2 to 40 weight percent of formamide, 2 to 40 weight percent of alcohol, 3 to 70 weight percent of nitroparaffin and 10 to 80 weight percent of a metal salt of perchloric acid and to a gelled explosive composition comprising the above components, 2 to 20 weight percent of an organic thickening agent and/or 1 to 15 weight percent of an aerating agent.

Ok I made that last one up, leave those ingredients at home.

Aug 11, 06 9:20 am  · 
 · 

you should listen to the swedish girls... I'm sure they have interesting opinions as isolationist exhibitionists and with their countries role as peace arbitrars should demostrate that they have a an alternative to our machismo sharp elbowed foriegn policy...

Aug 11, 06 9:40 am  · 
 · 
A

With each layer of additional "security" airtravel becomes more and more miserable. I hope this brings us closer to a decent USA passenger rail system.

That's a big wish, but listening to everyone whine about not having their precious water on a plane makes me think the wish is getting closer.

Aug 11, 06 10:51 am  · 
 · 

patrick, I imagine that your background and mine aren't too much different with the exception that I'm much poorer than you are.

Aug 11, 06 11:11 am  · 
 · 

and that when you played war GI Joe always won...

Aug 11, 06 11:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: