Archinect
anchor

Going to School 'Out of the Box'

psteiner

Hello all....
I love and follow Archinect's 'Working Out of the Box' articles - it's me!  Undergrad in Interior Architecture, worked in residential architecture, worked in corporate - still in corporate but no longer architecture.  Going to grad school for a Design MBA....So glad I waiting the 6 or so years after undergrad before going to grad school - I would have made the wrong choice!

QUESTION

With the prevalence of 'working out of the Box' - what's the story on 'Going to School Out of the Box' ?  I'm (fingers crossed on Financial Aid) attending California College of the Arts MBA in Design Strategy Program in the Fall this year (new school blog for me?!) & am looking at outside scholarships and financial aid.  So many awards are narrowly defined: pursuing an accredited architecture degree, pursuing a specific MBA degree...anything that's somewhat related to design and business have very specific and siloed eligibility requirements for the program you can be enrolling in.

So I know I am going to have to do alot of work on finding award money, and signing off on loans...but when do we think the 'catch-up' will start?  When will funding for higher education reflect a changing, flexible, non-specific singular degree seeker? 

In my opinion the design world includes architecture, graphics, interiors, industrial design, visual studies...of course all the usuals, but without a doubt and without a choice we now need to understand and work with doctors, teachers, technicians, politicians, scientists, social workers, and list goes on and on and on.
Thoughts? Anyone else wondering about this / asking these same questions?

thanks

-pamela

Mar 23, 12 2:31 pm
PerCorell

Don't be to clever they will hate you for it. If you share a good idea in particulat this place, be sure they will see it as their job to bring it down, see -- they rather see one of their own gods use it. He even make a bridge with the basic idea and they will be proud of their shit throwing.

Mar 23, 12 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Don't. I did Iwere allowed into the acadamy and used it for 4 years becaurse I was good at it -- even I were not registrated as student.  I had a positiv aproach to all that architecture As you can hear from the frase "Hi all you fancy graphics lovers",. Could that be anything but a naive guy sharing a good idea ?  After that I were invited to the states workshops for art, I made the compurters work as newer seen before, -- that was before I met you guy's, soon I hope the chinese will make the jobs 3dh offered back then, and my hate to you, come only from you stealing the bread from my mouth.

Mar 23, 12 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Ya..da sur ..Per Corell...ua from  Tarry Town New York....thinking it is near where The Rockerfeller has a kick ass Estate.

Mar 23, 12 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

So If I follow Per, he spent four years there without earning a degree, although it is unclear if it took the institution four years to fail him out. If that is the case, I'd be worried that students are being taken advantage of.

But frankly, there are several other reasons to look at this degree program with quite a lot of suspicion. Here are a few, in no particular order.

Accreditation: it is not accredited by the AACSB, nor is it a future candidate. While it may be the case that you don't need an accredited MBA to practice business, it also isn't that hard to get an MBA accredited, so the real question is what criteria don't they meet?

Economics and Business Science: This program requires a semester each of Finance, Econ, Accounting, and Operations Science, and has no electives in any of these four areas. The typical MBA asks for a full year of each, plus two semesters of Marketing & Behavioral Science (CCA has no classes at all in this category). In short, it might be generous to call it half of an MBA.

Faculty Qualifications: There are only three full-time faculty members, none of whom have any credential beyond a bachelors degree. The majority of the remaining Faculty appear to not have credentials in any specialization, none of them publish, have grants, or things that they are interested in. Only one of them has an MBA.

Design Credibility:  It seems that the meat of this program is a series of design projects that students collaborate on over an extended period of time. That sounds great -- it sounds just like Archeworks. The thing is, at Archeworks you get to pick Stanley Tigerman's brain, Hang out with Eva Maddox, get to know Ben Nicholson, Victor Margolin, Martin Feldsen, and Sarah Dunn -- all of whom have some degree of credibility as leading thinkers or practitioners in design, and some of whom are in a position to employ graduates or help them get a place in highly competitive and specialized graduate programs. 

Graduates: Anyone ever met a graduate of this program?

Mar 27, 12 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
psteiner

ouch Karl!

I've spent alot of time researching this school (and several other programs) - I was lucky to be accepted to the schools I applied to, and have the option to pick my top choice.

I believe 90% of any program you go into is what you make of it.  Even if you go to the  best (by your definition) business program in the country it won't be worth crap if you don't make an effort.  I feel I can safely say we learned that lesson in both Archeworks and The Art Institute (doesn't matter what big star-chitect names are in residence - you don't create great design solutions simply by being in the same room).

I picked a program that has the foundation, principles, approaches and interests that match my own.  On the interviews I've had there it was heartening to hear that alot of their students aren't going there with the end result of starting their own business once they graduate - many want to learn and work within business - from a design perspective, but I know I have no intention of starting a business.  I want the skillset but I plan on doing something else entirely with it - just like this program is doing.

Specifically am looking to go into a program that isn't going about education and practice the way it's always been done....and then to expect different results.  I want to do things differently.

And if you do a quick search you'll find out lots on past and current students. 

Adam Dole is doing alot in  innovation and development (currently at Mayo Clinic).

Mar 29, 12 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

I'm not sure anyone at any of these schools qualifies as a star-chitect. But you are right, just being in the room with a star doesn't mean much at all. I also agree that going about education and practice in the way that every other institution hass been and expecting different results is a poor idea. On the other hand, I'll disagree that 90% of attending school is what you choose to make of it. My experience at every other institution I have attended is that you not only have to make an effort, but have to demonstrate considerable skill at what you are trying to do if you don't want to be flunked out. And while the buyer-beware theory of education seems to produce just as low a completion rate, in my experience there is better pride of place and stronger student participation at institutions that are agressive at separating the wheat from the chaff.

Mar 29, 12 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Hi, I agrea with "mespellrong", of those studying while I was using the acadamy very few ended up in an architect firms, they like me found more rewarding things to do. But most are glad they build on a good foundation.  Btw mespellrong, I were offered to use the place it was never the idea to finish an architect education -- I could havd done so If I wanted as there were professors enough to who would allow me, but I kind of never liked the tone, the attitude and realy there was no visions. Only a lot of Hovski-Snovski. and very little fire. Realy the best way to progress back then, was to bully your way, -- never liked that attitude.

Jun 12, 12 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: