Archinect
anchor

portable data storage solutions?

formanaught

hi

i'm looking for something for moving data around the place, school - home - office.

i know about usb thumb drives but need something a bit bigger. something in the range 20GB-80GB

i've been looking at external hard-drives but they're pretty bulky. a friend said there were portable hard drives that were quite small physically and were pretty fast across usb2. without knowing of any brand names my google searches haven't uncovered anything to my liking.

does anyone here know of any pretty styling looking portable hard drives?

i am particularly attracted to small metallic objects...

Jul 18, 04 4:51 am
oregon

Sony giga vault is everything you're looking for and shiny

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/...

Jul 18, 04 6:55 am  · 
 · 

Here's one you can check out.

http://www.smartdisk.com/Products/Storage%20Products/...

Jul 18, 04 10:52 am  · 
 · 

I USE THE SAN DISK MICRO CRUZER . IT IS ONLY 256 BUT IT ALSO CONNECTS TO A SANDISK MP3 COMPANION , SO YOU GET THE SOTRAGE PORTABILITY PLUS A MP3 PLAYER . ALL IN THE PALM OF YOU HAND .

Jul 19, 04 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

These LaCie drives are pretty nice...

La Cie drives

Jul 19, 04 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
jmac

just use an ipod. 40 gigs and pretty small.

Jul 19, 04 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

maybe this fits. lighter.smaller. more portable.
if your budget allows an ipod, i say go for it.

http://lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10063

Jul 19, 04 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I agree with Pencrush above, the fire wire drives are great to go from office to home and back, with a ton of info, fast and cheap, sure beats CDs of old data.

Jul 19, 04 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

If you have a good extra internal hard drive, you can get a an aluminum USB2/Firewire hard drive case for cheap that will convert your internal drive that into an external...

I've seen them selling for as cheap as about 20 to 30 dollars Canadian (less than 20 dollars US)... I put a200GB Western Digital drive in a USB2 case that I got for about 20 dollars, and its pretty good moving between on my laptop, the computers at school, and my home desktop...

Here's one site, in Canadian dollars with some pretty good prices on hard drive cases: logic computer house

Jul 20, 04 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Has anyone used one of these La Cie drives? I'm was thinking about getting a DVD burner to back up my work, but the USB drives seem to be a better option. Ipod is too expensive and not big enough for my needs. I've got the Cruzer, and its great but obviously way to small.

Jul 20, 04 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
formanaught

thanks for the info people. some nice ones there.

bRink. i'll think about that. buying the case and big assed HD separately. works out pretty cheap huh!

Jul 21, 04 3:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: