Archinect
anchor

the agony of choice

J.I - M Ark

Accepted at  Pratt and IIT for M.arch  Fall2012

Waiting to hear from UIC@C and UCL London , although i'm pretty sure i'll go with one of those first two. I already visited Chicago and the IIT Campus, which I liked a lot. Never been to NYC. Everybody keeps telling me, that I cannot ,even remotely, compare NYC to Chicago. I have a feeling that Pratt  have the "bigger" name , but i read some pretty bad things about the administration and the location. ( not being very safe and such things).  I know both have very good Arch Programs and I don't want my feelings for both cities decide for me.

In German you say : ein Teufelskreis  (doom loop)

As you can see: I don't even have a specific question.....  :-) 

Mar 21, 12 12:18 pm
sfer

Then you can't have a specific answer! ;)

Actually, I can't help you, but I empathize with the weight of the decision.

Mar 21, 12 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

This is what we call  a quality problem.  Enjoy the luxury of choosing between desirable, competing alternatives.

Mar 21, 12 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

As will all decisions, first determine the criteria by which you will make the decisions.  For selecting an architecture program, what is most important - i.e., location, cost, facilities, faculty, reputation, cost, study abroad.  Once you determine the criteria and rate each program against the criteria, a decision will be evident.

Do NOT compare program A against program B.

Best

Dr. Architecture.

Mar 22, 12 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Go with the one that offers you more money or better TA/RA position. Seriously, if you're in a position to make them compete for you, you'd be a fool not to do so.

Having said that, also think about how you want to spend your time. If you like grids and basswood, go with IIT. If you like shapes and plastics, go with UIC. I don't know what the dominant modes at the other ones are, but chose what you like most, not just what you know best. Failing that, pick for faculty, but keep in mind that faculty changes all the time, and that they are typically allotted specific groups of students through 'lotteries' meaning there's a chance you may actually never get to study under that one prof you really like.

Mar 22, 12 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Starkitect

@ J.I - M.Ark: Congrats. m in IIT  too for Fall 2012 AP. Being an intl applicant, dint get a chance to visit the campus yet. I have a College Senior studying there so basically got some really helpful information -  had read similar stuff as to IIT being in some 'shady area' of town and all.. As for your dilema, all i can say is that if cost isnt an issue, consider NY seriously. Have my former undergrad classmate in Columbia and a senior in pratt and they seem to be pretty satisfied with the courses. 

@Dr. Architecture: Being a lil more specific in for my case, I am facing a situation to decide between IIT and UIUC for M.Arch.  Cost of education would be almost the same being an Int'l student. However, I am really interested if you could shed some light on how to best decide between the two. (cost of living/ exposure/ placements & internships/ core program). I am more inclined towards design and if I get a chance would also like to get involved in research work.

Mar 22, 12 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Are you deciding between UIC (University of Illinois at Chicago) and IIT or UIUC (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) and IIT?

Your first email suggested UIC, but your more recent one references UIUC.

As I stated before - what is MOST important to you? design, cost, others that you listed?

Mar 22, 12 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Starkitect

Hello Dr. Architecture! Its my friend here  J.I M.Ark who's admitted University of Illinois at Chicago. I apologize for the confusion.

I am Starkitect, trying to decide between University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign and IIT, Chicago. I am considering the following factors mainly for comparison - Design Focus/ core program/ exposure/ placements & internships and  cost of living. I will not be able to make campus visit to the schools, to get a feel of the place and interact with teachers and faculty.

My main focus as I said earlier too, is to get into a comprehensive program, with emphasis on architectural design. Also, in between semester breaks I would like to intern at a firm. In that case would Chicago be a better option. Also, I have heard that UIUC has better final placements and an overall program.

Considering the programs are equally good, based on exposure i will get and internships which one would be a better choice for an int'l applicant like me?

Mar 23, 12 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Starkitect - Both IIT and UIUC have excellent architecture programs; to best determine if both meet your desires as listed above, I suggest you be in touch directly with the schools.  Contact the program administration to have a discussion about their program; ask for connections to current students or recent alums to learn details of the program.

In making your selection, do not rely on the opinion of a single person, but connect with those that can provide you with insight for your decision.

Best.

Mar 24, 12 7:24 am  · 
 · 
Starkitect

@Dr. Architecture: Thank you! Will be gettting in touch with administrative coordinators,student committees, etc. at both places to get more insights and make a more informed decision.

Mar 30, 12 3:32 am  · 
 · 
shad0w

mark mark

Mar 28, 13 2:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: