Archinect
anchor

Finally, we can buy Cuban cigars!

SuperBeatledud

Rumor has it, he went in for buttex surgery. but maybe his brother will open up trade negotiations with the US and we can get some of those smooth cigars finally.

Aug 1, 06 9:03 am
chupacabra

just leave the country (USA) and shop duty free.

Aug 1, 06 9:04 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud
Aug 1, 06 9:09 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

maybe some of you are missing the point

Aug 1, 06 9:26 am  · 
 · 

when this was covered on the news on npr this morning, the reporter said something along the lines of “…as long as fidel is decapacitated…” oops.

Aug 1, 06 9:30 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

This is good news, however, it is not enough. Fidel's 75 year old brother, Raul, remaind in power and in charge of the military and the communist party. This in now way means freedom for Cuba, but it is perhaps a step closer.

Aug 1, 06 9:42 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I see your point, SuperBeatledud, but honestly the news I'm more interested in this morning is about the morning-after pill and FDA's politicized approval process.

Will the religious right trump science and public interest? Probably, but at least the topic is in the news again.

Sorry for the threadjacking.

Aug 1, 06 9:52 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I could go on for pages about that story, liberty bell, especially after a summer course in ethics, however, I will spare all of you, as the debate is too complicated and emotional.

Aug 1, 06 9:54 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yep, thanks for your restraint, Chili. I'm not up for that conversation either - we'll see how the confirmation hearings go today.

Aug 1, 06 9:57 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

If Fidel dies and there is a struggle for power during the Bush administration, I wonder how much better it will be down there. Nation building and surpressing insurgencies doesn't seem to be our forte. My advice for all the Cuba Libra folks is to wish Fidel good health at least until 2008. The country is so poor that any transition from the current government is going to be very ugly, especially with the Florida expatriate crowd waiting to surge back into the country.

Aug 1, 06 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

If Fidel passes, I think there would be less of a chance of a new government. His brother is more radical and more stubborn. I don't expect this to make any change in our relations with Cuba.

Aug 1, 06 11:06 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the third world is just around the corner...

Aug 1, 06 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

Cuban Flag

Puerto Rican Flag

Catalan Nationalists Flag (one version)

Coincidence? Both the Puerto Rican and the Catalan Nationalist are based on the Cuban flag, all conincidentally adopted or first used around the turn of the last century After the 10 Years War, towards when Cuba was handed over to a Cuban government. But what is nationalism anyways? Still, it would be a super groovy place no?

Aug 1, 06 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

actually i prefer dominicans to cubans. cigars that is...

Aug 1, 06 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

i prefer dominicans to cubans too....oh, but not for cigars...

Aug 1, 06 7:07 pm  · 
 · 

History lesson, traditonally tobacco seeds from Cuba are where what was used in the plantations in Panama, Jamaica and Santo Domingo. Albeit that was about 40 years ago, and the countries have developed their own unique flavour but much of those cigars still retain the robust aroma and taste

Jun 9, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

The Catalan flag is not based on the Cuban flag. Gold and red stripes have been the symbol of Catalunya for centuries:

"... an heiress of Aragón married the Count of Barcelona, and the gold shield of the latter was adopted by the kingdom. After a battle, however, Ramón Berenguer, Count of Barcelona, wiped his bloody fingers down the shield and thereafter it became "or with five pales gules" — gold with five red stripes."

From here: link

Jun 9, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

I don't care where the cigar comes from, as long as it was rolled on the thighs of a virgin...

Jun 9, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i like how a small number of cubans in our country preferred to watch their friends and relatives struggle for almost half a century.

Jun 9, 07 8:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: