Archinect
anchor

Best and Worst Architecture Schools

treekiller

Yipee - comet farming!

I'm going to arrange a few astroids for a zen spacescape...

astroculture or is it astroscaping?

Aug 2, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

Chli- who knows? They may get some craaaazy earthquakes up there or something!

Aug 2, 06 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
cf

I hear there is a new program being developed:

Sustainable Design for the Outer Spaced

Historic Preservation for the Outer Spaced soon to follow

Aug 2, 06 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

imagine the hideousness monstrosities of space mcmansions

*shudder*

Aug 2, 06 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I dunno, they might not be so bad if they are floating in space instead of squatting on a fake knoll in a cleared greenfield devoid of trees and plantings and hovering over their neighbors' shoulders. At least in space they can drift infinitely free of contextual anachronisms!

Aug 2, 06 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

what would you call a mcmansion development in space? there are no foxes or glens or quail or creeks that will be replaced/erased by such developments so nothing to name them after...

Aug 2, 06 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

quoting someone from some other astro-nect thread, several light-years ago.. > "you yanks crack me up!" ..

this is the funniest thread I've read this summer..

Aug 2, 06 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

stardust lane!

Aug 2, 06 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Meteor Gardens

Moon Place

Milky-Way Way

Aug 2, 06 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

"Moon River!"

"Crater Ridge!"

"Come buy your beautiful new home at Gravity's Rainbow!"

Aug 2, 06 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Septic Field

Aug 2, 06 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

there is no real estate in space.

Aug 2, 06 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
orEqual

Space McMansions could always be hurtled into a black hole, and no one could prove anything.

GET IT?!

Aug 2, 06 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Cosmic Circle!

hahaha, Gravity's Rainbow...

Sunburst Apocalypse!

Aug 2, 06 4:45 pm  · 
 · 

puddles. someone will find a way to sell real estate in space.

Aug 2, 06 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

space sprawling

Aug 2, 06 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

6 cubic acres, moon adjacent, gorgeous views of earth and jupiter, sundeck and pool. new tile! does not include gravity. $140,000 obo. email for details.

Aug 2, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

maybe an aerogel pool? 'cause water wouldn't work.

Aug 2, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke
Aug 2, 06 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference
Aug 2, 06 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Hate to burst everyone's bubble but...

U of h also has a program for Space Lawyers.

Aug 2, 06 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
dia
Aug 2, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

this thread is awesome

Aug 2, 06 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

bossman- are you mooning us??????

I want an astroturf yard!

Aug 2, 06 6:43 pm  · 
 · 

Steven- I've always wanted a Jell-O pool. I bet that would work!

The best part of it all is, there would be absolutely NO call for revival styles on the moon. They would be completely out of place, and we could just refuse to design in them!

Aug 2, 06 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

steven, i don't think it is a question of "selling" real estate in space. a good sales person can sell space itself just as readily as real estate/land. the more interesting current of thought here is the creation of real estate. for example, think of the death star, that artificial planet from those damnable star wars fantasies...a developers wet dream as it's literally the leveraging of something from nothing, capital reinvested (and often borrowed) to create massive streams of income. how very nice. the proposition of space architecture is potentially as lucrative as the highrise tower (again leveraging a small footprint)...if only it were possible to get the idea of the ground (literally & figuratively in this case). trouble is that old mantra of the real estate industry: location, location, location. ironically, the greatest potential for space architecture might be dependent on how close you can get it to earth...go figure.

at any rate, you might want to start buying air rights now, today even...and if you don't know where to find them i've got plenty that i'm willing to cut a deal on ;)

Aug 2, 06 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

vegas baby vegas

Aug 2, 06 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
e909
bathrooms will be the hardest design

pott-e-vac®

Aug 2, 06 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
e909

space-crapper®?

Aug 2, 06 9:00 pm  · 
 · 

nasa's got that one figured.

the other necessity of american life, space mcdonald's, however, might be harder to manage. judging from what i've learned about the space station and various trips to it, excessive consumption and unnecessary waste don't work well in space. everything counts.

Aug 2, 06 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

i like how this thread has completely veered off the original topic haha

Aug 2, 06 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
AP
heretoforth

, justin, aka raw fish delight, will be Captain Obvious of the B&W Architecture Schools Space Station.
Keep rockin' in the free space!

Aug 2, 06 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
AP

but we can change it to Captain uncluttered innocence...
...if you prefer...

so which galaxy will you call school this fall, Mr. shimi?

Aug 2, 06 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
e909
would wheel chairs even work in space

apparently it was a beautiful experience, in which the urine went outside the spacecraft, where it crystallized into, quoth the astronaut, "a million shooting stars".

thus the need for that window

Mcspacemodules
At least in space they can drift infinitely free of contextual anachronisms "can't you block the view of those glowing balls out there?"

"and fix that traffic noise."

Aug 2, 06 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
e909

naturalistic landscape

Aug 2, 06 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
e909
6 cubic acres, moon adjacent, gorgeous views of earth and jupiter, sundeck and pool. new tile! does not include gravity. $140,000 obo. email for details.

friendly neighborhood

Aug 2, 06 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

hmm...that's true. modernism is definitely the only architectural language that will ever work in space. perhaps that is why it never really caught on with the general public, because it was so ahead of its time and space.

Aug 3, 06 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I think this is more Minimalism than Modernism:

Either way it's very beaustiful.

Aug 3, 06 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Make that very bee-use-ta-full.

Beautiful + useful.

(oops)

Aug 3, 06 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I bet you could make some kick ass water features in space.

Aug 3, 06 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
cf

libby:
Here comes the wet blanket.
I like that station as the twin towers replacement better than the proposed replacement. There, I said it.

Aug 3, 06 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

south carolina is the best architecture school

Aug 3, 06 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

you must mean the other USC. fight on!

Aug 3, 06 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Let's build Werner Sobek's Space Modulator

Aug 3, 06 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

i claim the sun, and i'm charging everyone for solar power... and if anyone tries to break up my monopoly, you can go and get your own star.

Aug 3, 06 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

I got to UH, but I am not in the Space Architecture program-just regular MArch stuff. In all honesty, people joke about the space architecture program-even professors make fun of it-as though is is a joke degree. However, I have nothing to base it on. I just walk through their space every once in a while on the third floor. Their work is never displayed throughout the rest of the school and none of the work is ever critiqued like the rest of the undergrad and graduate work.
From the looks of it, the majority of their models are built of coke cans and butane/carosene tanks you would buy at your favorite army surplus store before you go camping.
I guess we don't ever understand the program because the only job you can get it with NASA...and, if you try to get a job with a regular architetcure firm, it seems as though you would have nothing that proves you know what you are doing. I mean heck, you spent your whole time designing stuff for space.
Anyhow, anytime we're stuck on the third floor, we always kind of look at each other in curiousity and skepticism about the validity of the program.

Aug 3, 06 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

momentum's got dibs on the earth's solar power. I have dibs on the M92 Globular Cluster, which has a mass of up to 330,000 suns. Now talk about a solar power monopoly…

Aug 4, 06 1:15 am  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

MJH

I was an anomaly since I hung out with the other March people at Valhalla’s. The bar at Rice.

I did display in the year end review and did a lot of politicking to show that what we did was in fact architecture. Since I had a BARCH from USC, and the faculty at the time went to school with a number of my under grad professors, I got to sit in and jury and debate theory with the rest of them.

But was it relevant?

Sure, how better to design for sustainability then working with the requirement that every thing you need to sustain you, you must bring with you in the first place, including air, food, water.

How you protect yourself from radiation. How do you manage waste. (they don't let you pee out the window anymore)

How much area do you need to grow plants, how you design to keep people from going crazy in a cylinder that is 13’ dia and 30 long (coke can) for 18 months. Interesting questions all.

Lastly, when I was there SICSA had a emphasis in extreme environments. Read: Under water, remote locations, and deployable structures such as instant hospitals out the back of a C-35.

After graduation for my MARCH I went to Belize to work on a research boat / eco tourist island, 35 miles off of the mainland.

After that I worked for International Space Enterprises developing a concept plans to develop a spaceport on the General Dynamics rocket facility in San Diego. Very similar to the ones currently going up in New Mexico. Which all have buildings, needed someone who understood space systems. For me it didn’t pan out but it was fun!

But I understand the problem. My under grad thesis was an underwater city – I about got kicked out because they only saw the project as sci-fi not as a study in isolated live work communities.

When I showed them the PA article (1992) about SICSA they let me graduate.

Aug 4, 06 7:44 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
incorrectdave
Aug 4, 06 8:57 am  · 
 · 
AP
Aug 4, 06 9:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: