Archinect
anchor

IIT v/s UIUC for M.Arch.

Starkitect

Hi all. please help out.......I wanted to know how would the M.Arch. two year programs compare at IIT with UIUC. Anyone who is currently studying in any of these schools or associated with them,,,please feel free yo enlighten us as to the present scenarios of the architecture dept. Also, any pros and cons one should keep in mind while deciding to confirm admission in one of these two  universities.

Mar 19, 12 10:20 am
Tee002

Location location location. I think IIT has huge plus on that. Being in Chicago will allow you to connect with people who're in industry. I'm not saying UIUC is not a god program. If both UIUC and IIT were in Chicago, I would pick UIUC. Although it is true that UIUC is not that far from Chicago, it is still far from there. If you're rally interested in Structure Engineering aspect of the Building process., UIUC is a great choice. If I'm not wrong, I think you could be licensed engineer in Illinois with M.S from UIUC. Someone from UIUC can correct me, if I'm wrong. For IIT, the name say it all. Mies....hahah just kidding.

I don't know about your financial situation. If you're Illinois resident UIUC will save you lots of money. If you're out of state there won't be big difference. Also UIUC is Big Ten School. If you want to do research, most of Big Ten school are excellent.

Facility, I think IIT probably might be a bit better. As I went to a school where we have excellent woodshop, I felt that wood-shop at UIUC is somehow underwhelming to me.

You know what... Instead of asking other ppl opinion why don't you just hop on train or car to check out both schools. They are not like ten thousands miles apart. Go there and get a vipe. Your intuitive mind will tell you what is good for you.

Just be objective!

Mar 20, 12 2:10 am  · 
 · 
Starkitect

@Tee002:

Thanks for your advice. Really appreciate the pointers you have stated above. Actually i am an int'l applicant. so its not that easy for me to check out the campuses :(. Mainly cuz of the travel and visa requirements as i am not aware if i can come on visit visa now and then come back and apply for F-1. 

Nonetheless, like u said being out of state, fees is almost same for me in both places. now i have three factors that i am looking for...one ofcourse location. Secondly, its the actual department and faculty + options for internships and placements. third is again like u mentioned the name : 'UIUC or IIT. i do have an inclination towards a specific research area in arch. design....but thats subject to approval right now. 

So m still deciding for now...thanks for the input...do put in any further comments you have.,,

Mar 20, 12 3:29 am  · 
 · 
rjm1990

I'm currently an undergraduate student at IIT. Though I am not extremely familiar with UIUC's program, if you are looking for faculty and location this is a great place. Many of the faculty are national and international celebrities (Ron Krueck, Dr. Werner Sobek, Will Bruder, John Ronan, Ross Wimer from SOM....the list goes on and on). Jeanne Gang, Stanley Tigerman, and Adrian Smith are also regular faces around here as well for mid-terms and final reviews. 

Mar 20, 12 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

If you're an I'ntel applicant, IIT might be better choice just for transportation alone. It is true that you'll be spending a lot of time in studio, but it is always hard to trade the stratification of seeing amazing works done by great architects in city like Chicago. If you're in Chicago, you can even go to interesting suburbs like Oak Park where you can see FLW house. It is something you cannot do with UIUC. You can take a bus ride or train, but not that convenient. I always thought IIT architecture is kind of  stolid. But it is purely my opinion which should not be factored in. In-terms of faculty, Technological aspect of architectural process, and the curriculum at UIUC is few of the most comprehensive I can ever find. Just plethora of classes there. Outside of architecture, UI is a brand name school itself.

Mar 20, 12 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Starkitect

thanks for the info guys! been travelling the last two days for work hence the late reply.

@ rjm: Hows the scope for placements after graduation? 

@Tee002: How far would Chicago be from UIUC? i mean time to travel. Being an int'l student...good exposure and comprehensive knowledge of architecture is my primary aim, apart from being able to further some research work if I get a chance. 

Mar 22, 12 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

@Starkitect

It is all depends on what you want to do.

Are you interested in Structural Engineering side of things. You can take advantage at the UIUC.

Do want to get connections and job exposure? IIT is better one for that. You may also get , as rjm, said renowned faculty at IIT more so than UIUC.

Will you be working in U.S or your home country? If you're planning to be here just for school, being in UIUC won't be a big disadvantage.

I think you could take 2 hour Amtrak train ride from downtown Chicago to UIUC. I'm not so sure about time. A lot of student from UIUC go to Chicago in weekends. I think they also have shuttle to Chicago.

What about weather factor? I live in colder metropolis so Illinois winter doesn't bother me that much. Will you? I don't know.

Mar 22, 12 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Starkitect

I would like to do internship during breaks as anyways being an architecture student you are very busy with design and other coursework. If i do get an opportunity then would definitely contribute to the place where i graduate from, gain experience and then return to my home country.

Weather is definitely an important factor for me. I live in a city where it drops down to zero in the winters and above 40 degrees Celsius in the summer. But its nothing compared to the winters in Illinois I guess. The snow and extreme winter will be new for me. but having with the choices I have weather is going to be cold in both Chicago and Urbana - Champaign as well

Mar 23, 12 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

So what is your final verdict?

Mar 23, 12 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
Starkitect

Still to decide. waiting for a clearer picture on the scholarship/TA from both UIUC and IIT, which is around mid - march. Will update here asa i do get. Frankly its a close call. Need some time to decide. 

If you dont mind me asking...what about you? are u studying in one of these colleges or working as an architect in US?

Mar 23, 12 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

When I applied grad schools, I did look at these two schools, visited and applied as well. Actually applied one of them, and got into one of them. But ending up going somewhere else. I used to live in illinois too. Currently I'm not working in architecture industry. I'm having fun with my life by working as a researcher. lol. I have to say it is wise to count in finical factor. If anyone of them give you substantially more, just go for it! I'm financially very conservative. So, cost is the decisive factor for me. It always serve me well.

Isn't that architecture is stressful job already? If you add up your finical concern over that, how can you do your work happily. I don't want to be grumpy employee, and don't want to work with other grumpy, Debby Downers either.  So, yes like I said before, if one of these two give you better aid, just go for it man.

Mar 23, 12 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
shad0w

This discussion is really useful to me since I had a hard time to choose betwenn IIT and KU.

by the way, did you consider the safety in chicago as a factor?

Mar 28, 13 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: