Archinect
anchor

small lot update

pescador

Many of you have inquired about the status of Los Angeles' Small Lot subdivision Ordinance. The following is an update on the application of the ordinance:

- Ordinance # 176354 (Detatched Townhome Development Ordinance) passed by L.A. City Council in December 2004.
- Issues and inconsistencies identified in multiple meetings w/ Building & Safety and Planning as far back as April 2005
- An Ad-Hoc Interdepartmental Committee formed to work out issues over a year ago. Irregular meetings have resulted in little resolutions thus far.
- Up to 30 “ready-to-permit” projects are currently being held up by the non-resolution of outstanding issues.

Two big issues are on the table:

ISSUE # 1:
B & S will not issue building permits citing that they have no mechanism to issue permits prior to a legal subdivision of land. The subdivision process through B.O.E. is currently taking between 6 and 9 months.
Several architects have been working aggressively with the following City officials thus far without success:
a. Deputy Advisory Agency-
b. City Planning-
c. Building & Safety/Zoning-
d. Fire Department-
e. Mayor's office-

Three suggestions/solutions have been put forth to help provide B & S with a mechanism and be more comfortable with issuing construction permits in advance of the final map recording but no response to date. Planning has been trying to follow up without success.

ISSUE #2:
B & S is troubled by design solutions that involve driving underneath Single Family Dwelling units and across property lines in order to reach two-car garages on individual lots. Note: This type of path of travel occurs all day long in condominiums that have the identical situation with a Tract Map in place.

The City Planning department has issued a public document called “Small Lot Design Guidelines” encouraging Small Lot developments. This document includes diagrams and design strategies that B & S is refusing to permit!

Applicants have been incredibly patient and tried to suggest many “positive” solutions but communication has been exceedingly poor.

AIA has sent a “letter of concern” to City officials cautioning that their members are not able to serve their clients because of instabilities at City staff level. (A reprint of the letter will follow this post as a reply)

The Mayor's Office is now interested and involved. There was supposedly a big meeting wednesday (July 26) between Andrew Adelman (Building & Safety Director) and Gail Goldberg (Planning Director). Rumors of some “agreement” floating without specifics available.

Architects and developers are strongly encouraged to call or send emails to City contacts they may have (in Mayor's office, Council offices, etc.) expressing support for the ordinance and its goals for workforce housing, better living environments, fee simple transactions, etc. but frustration over the City's inability to solve processing issues.

Jul 28, 06 3:43 pm
pescador

following is a copy of the 'letter of concern' sent to City officials by the AIA political outreach group:

AIA/ Los Angeles Chapter
3780 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 800
Los Angeles, CA 90010

May 15, 2006

Re: Implementation of the Small Lot Subdivision Ordinance

In December of 2004 the L.A. City Council passed Ordinance No. 176354 (The Detatched Townhome Development Ordinance) to encourage a greater diversity of housing with fee simple home ownership opportunities. Small Lot projects implement innovative planning and broader home ownership options for an economically diverse City. The Mayor’s Office, City Council and Department of City Planning have provided clear leadership in enacting this Ordinance and encouraging developers to consider creative solutions to meet the growing housing needs for the City.

One might expect that with any new ordinance, there will be rough edges and some growing pains in working out the particulars related to implementation. However, it has become apparent that some City Departments have not fully embraced this Ordinance and are not implementing the direction set out by the City’s leaders. Projects, ready to permit, have been sitting for several months waiting to begin construction. Building & Safety has indicated they have no ability to issue building permits. Our member architects have been attempting to work with City Staff for the past year to find an acceptable solution. Yet little progress has been made. There is tremendous frustration among our membership not only with Staff’s difficulties in implementing necessary changes but also with the continuing introduction of more regulations and procedural impediments which ensure that the new Ordinance cannot be easily implemented.

The members of the Los Angeles Chapter of the American Institute of Architects are particularly concerned that they cannot properly advise or represent their clients because of the uncertainty surrounding this Ordinance. Pioneering architects and developers who were buoyed by the enthusiasm surrounding this novel subdivision concept are now suffering tremendous economic hardships. The City Planning Department has attempted to intervene but clearly the lines of communication are closed with other Departments who must grant approvals.

AIA/LA would like to be part of a solution. And we are anxious to work with the City to move the Small Lot projects that are being held up in the plan check process forward into construction as soon as possible. I look forward to hearing your ideas and your assistance in realizing the hopes of this Ordinance.

Sincerely,

William Fain, FAIA

Jul 28, 06 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
e909

i guess it's been hanging for 9? months because no big $ contractors care about this.

this caugh my eye
B & S is troubled by design solutions that involve driving underneath Single Family Dwelling units and across property lines in order to reach two-car garages on individual lots. Note: This type of path of travel occurs all day long in condominiums that have the identical situation with a Tract Map in place.

i rarely see condos or apartment buildings like this. i've seen more of them outside of CA (excluding the "driving underneath" feature, which i've never seen). It has always appeared that the small home preceded the newish apartment or condo complex. the small old home had been built far from the road, when that area was still the boonies.

but often a separate driveway has been routed for each property. so neither residents are forced to use the same entrance. this seems inefficient.

i wonder if anyone has tried incorporating the old house into the new condo's legal structure (hoa, etc). i'd expect trouble, because i've read that condo ownership is already a mess.

Jul 28, 06 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
w

Great post pescador.
I work in a small design build office in Los Angeles. We were developing two adjacent parcel maps as small lot subdivisions with three parcels on each existing property for a total of six parcels/ units. The maps had a shared access with easements to use the driveway. It's a straightforward design that is very common with condos. I spoke numerous times with some of the higher ups at the planning department and they said the plan looked good and to proceed. Then at the public hearing a couple weeks ago I was told that they didn't know how to proceed with the easements and that I needed to re-file as a tract map! I applied for the maps last December, it cleared engineering, b + s, D.O.T., fire, etc... with only minimal conditions and then planning drops the bomb AT THE HEARING that I need to re-apply and lose almost a year in the process. Lack of communication at the city is really destroying this ordinance and screwing architects in the process.

Jul 31, 06 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
asgreinc

I can sympathize with the issues we are all facing. I have a project that has been submitted for tentative tract map. The project is currently in an R2 zone adjacent to a commercial zone.

I have recently been told by building and safety that Planning will not even consider projects in R2 zones, even though the zones are clearly included in the ordinance.

Has anyone else run into this problem??

Jul 31, 06 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
agglutinations

I'm going to be in LA for about a week and am looking for things to do. Any recommendations? I want to see museums & galleries, new buildings, etc. Any ideas which cafes I should go to? Events going on this weekend?

The reason I don't post this on a new thread is because for some reason the forum page won't let me...

Aug 3, 06 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
pescador

okay, so new news:

we've heard thru a short grapevine that the problem of issuing permits prior to the recordation of maps has been solved...

B&S will prepare a covenant for any projects filed for tracts and parcel maps before august 11, 2006 to sign, stating that no C of O will be issued for any bldgs unless the map records or variances are secured. Projects filed after this will include variances for yards, passageways, and separation between buildings, along with any other appropriate entitlements.

now, on to the openings issue...

Aug 16, 06 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

any problems with the CRA messing around with your projectd????

We were dragged infront of the San Pedro Design Review Board by the CRA today- there seems to be a battle going on between the CAC and the CRA and we were stuck in the middle.

Oh and what about the planchecker's strike?

Agg -there are lots of threads on that topic- please do your homework first by searching the past posts before asking such questions. trans america roadtrip has good lists, and then there is a thread on food in LA.

Aug 16, 06 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I LOVE LADBS

Aug 17, 06 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I LOVE LADBS

Aug 17, 06 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
rothko67

It's been few months since this topic was raised, and I'm very curious if there has been any progress at LADBS? What's the latest?

Dec 7, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Jeremy

I might be working with this ordinance soon, am just starting some research now. I am wondering if anyone out there knows how they are coming with implementation, and if there are any more stories about architects trying to work with it. Has anyone gotten approval yet for either subdivision or even a building permitted?

Thanks for the informative posts so far.

Dec 12, 06 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

my boss would like to do some projects based on this ordinance. i read the design guidelines issued by the planning department and it's exciting...as mentioned in the other threads on this ordinance, this new type (between the condo and the typ. single fam.) is perfect for l.a.

like jeremy, i'd like to know if anyone has gotten a permit or maybe even begun const...

Sep 18, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

Oddly I was in the planning office RIGHT after this passed. I was showing the planner a piece of property I wanted to develop and was discussing getting a varience to do two units on it (it was an R2, but was sub stadard size but was cut in 1917 so was sort of exempt but it wasn't real clear). They showed me the new Small Lot deal thinking my project was a good candidate, I was sooo excited. Fortunately for me the project never got off the ground. I can't tell you how demoralized I'd be if I was still trying to get approval for two tiny units nearly 3 years later.

Sep 20, 07 7:15 am  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

Any updates on this? Anybody get anything through yet?

Sep 2, 08 3:40 am  · 
 · 
trojanarch

These guys at Modative have a couple of small lot projects through the city. They seem to know how the process works. I heard they are breaking ground on a small lot subdivision located on Venice Blvd. near Helms bakery and the new Father's Office.

Here's a link to their info on Small Lot Subdivision

Jan 7, 09 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: