Archinect
anchor

Tulane SOA

Chili Davis

Any students or alumni of Tulane's School of Architecture? I will be applying to grad schools soon and I just wanted an insiders opinion on the M.Arch I program there.

Jul 28, 06 11:07 am
mean prank riverbank

I didn't do the MArch I program there (although I now have one ~ raised from a BArch '99) so I can't really comment on that, but I'm sure, as others will tell you, you can't go wrong with the city, the lifestyle, the design, the place or the people...and I'm sure with Katrina and all, many new people you want to have stop by, will.

Krollof may be the new face, and I'm sure is great, but don't overlook Ila Berman as the center of it all. Stick close to her and you'll find yourself with an outstanding education.

Also, you won't be so dissapointed and say 'but this is Harvard!' when the plotter breaks down for the weekend or the copy machine won't take your card, you'll just go get a drink, catch a show or hang out at the levy. I wish I was still there.

Jul 29, 06 1:49 am  · 
 · 

i'm sure there are more. try search.

good luck!

Jul 29, 06 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Thanks Steven. Your links and comments were helpful.

Jul 31, 06 9:46 am  · 
 · 
long_div

has anyone been accepted to begin this year (2007)??

Apr 5, 07 11:32 am  · 
 · 

my response for another tulane thread this a.m.:

at tulane you'll come out with an m.arch instead of a b.arch, you'll be exposed to both the lovely and unlovely aspects of post-katrina new orleans, and you'll be involved with a very energized group of people - both from tulane and those coming in from other schools for rebuilding studios.

it's an expensive school at face value, but they give incredible financial aid packages that often offset their higher costs.

unless they've changed their admissions policies significantly, it's fairly easy to get in. entry classes are large and they count on the fact that attrition happens in the first couple of years (which are appropriately tough).

the campus is lovely and wasn't much affected by the storms. new student center by vincent james associates is cool, as are the willow dorms by scogin elam.

i don't know about the other schools, but i'd recommend tulane to anyone, no reservations.

Apr 5, 07 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Bob Canvas

Does Mark Vaughn still teach there?

Apr 5, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

wow, that name's a blast from the past. he was there when i finished in '91.

Apr 5, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
tidalwave1

he was there some during my time as well. I think that he split his time between Tulane and Mississippi State. I finished in '96.

Apr 5, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
long_div

thanks! what was the other tulane thread? cant find it...can u post a link?

Apr 5, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

I've met some people from Tulane while down there recently as my institute is a member of the CityBuild consortium of schools. From what I've seen I think the school is making the best out of the situation in NOLA. I know an adjunct professor that is really involved with things that I might be able to put you in contact with if you're interested in the rebuilding side of things.

Apr 5, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: