Archinect
anchor

Auto CAD cerfication to get in M.Arch program?

choijw2

Just a quick question,

i'm a senior studying in urban and regional study, and want to study architect after.

but my GPA is horrible, and Im working on my portfolio but im not good at drawing, 

only art I do is music, photography, and sometime making small furniture etc

and i found this civil engineering and architectural technology program, which focus on architeral drafting and Auto CAD.

i was wondering if taking this program will help me getting a job at an architect firm, and if i can im going to use this work experiences to help me getting in to M.Arch program. 

or is there any other certifications or skills that can help me getting a job at  architect firms? ( i really want to work at big architect firm, and being an architect is my dream)

also are all Auto CADs are same? like... if  you know how to use Engineer Auto CAD, will you be able to use Architectural Auto CAD too?

thank you

Mar 16, 12 12:01 am
jpugarte1

I know the differences between architectural, engineering, electrical, etc... are not too big. But it really doesn't matter, since you should learn to use REVIT, Archicad, or other BIM software instead of Autocad (It would also be nice if you could complement REVIT with a more complex 3d model software, like 3dsMax or Maya).

That's my advice: REVIT, not Autocad (any way, by knowing REVIT you will know learn autocad in a few days if you want to)

Mar 16, 12 9:42 am  · 
 · 

ive never worked for an office that used Revit. I have used Autocad, Vectorworks, Microstation, Rhino and ArchiCAD in professional settings though. Dont worry about learning a particular software. Just know how to learn software easily so you can adapt. 

as part of my undergraduate application portfolio for architecture, i included music that i had written. I had no previous courses in architecture or drawing. architects and architecture schools can find interest in anything creative. dont think you need to find an architecture position to get into architecture school. most people cant find work after architecture school :)

Mar 16, 12 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Dani Zoe

I agree with james, architectural drafting is not an indicator of potential to a school, in fact that you make furniture on your own is a strong indicator for success. Definitely do not underplay that and your photography skills. 

Also, depending on the schools you are applying to, Revit won't be the most beneficial program to know. Some schools are more conceptual and prefer programs like Rhino, Maya, or 3DS. Definitely consider what type of school fits your sensibilities.

Mar 16, 12 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
jpugarte1

I think what choijw2 asked (regarding architectural software) was:

"i was wondering if taking this program will help me getting a job at an architect firm, and if i can im going to use this work experiences to help me getting in to M.Arch program."

And regarding that, I'm pretty sure REVIT (or other BIM software like Archicad) are much more appreciated as a skill in architects than autocad, because actually I think autocad is a must in most architecture firms, rather than an plus (and, I insist, learning REVIT will make you know how to use autocad, but it doesn't work in the other way).

So I would recommend you to learn a BIM sotware like Revit or archicad if you want a software that will help you getting a job at an architect firm. Of course, the more software you are proficient on, the higher the chances of being hired. And if you fell like learning a lot of software, I think the most popular software in architectural design right now are:

BIM: Revit / Archichad

2d Drawing: Autocad

3d modelling (drafts): Sketchup

Advanced 3d modelling: Rhino / 3ds Max / Maya

Parametric: Grasshopper (rhino plugin) / Digital Project 

Mar 16, 12 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

My experience tells me that you must be proficient (read: have three or more years of professional experience, i.e. working in an architectural office) with Revit, Autocad, Adobe CS 5+, SketchUp, Maya, Rhino, and any other software you can afford.  Plus, an MArch degree.  Then, you may have a chance of getting a job. 

Good Luck to you!

Mar 17, 12 11:00 am  · 
 · 
Paradox

I'd concentrate on learning Revit, Rhino, Sketchup (hella easy!) and the Adobe package. AutoCAD is must but since you can pick it up in a month just worry about the other programs. Sketchup + Vray is my favorite combo. Your skill in 3D and graphics programs can give you an advantage in civil engineering firms but as other people mentioned find out what programs are used in school and check out job descriptions to see which programs are desired more.

By the way, I have a 4 year architectural technology degree and I got screwed really bad because it is a non-professional degree but if you combine it with engineering maybe you can do better. If you don't have a portfolio that includes some good design work and visuals you get pigeonholed into construction field. At least that's what happened to me.

Mar 17, 12 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

Autocad is the floppy disk of our generation.

Mar 17, 12 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
choijw2

most of architectural tech programs only teaches architectural draft and AutoCAD

one of my family friend is famous civil engineer and his firm needs many drafting technicians.

but the firm uses Microstation but i cant find place to learn programs like REVIT or microstation ..... 

should i just enroll for architectural tech program and get AutoCAD certification?

and this is kinda of FYI . I talked to the head of the program and he recommended me to get GIS certification instead...... 

Mar 17, 12 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
Tony Marcou

Design and shape the world around you with the powerful, flexible features in AutoCAD® 2013 software, one of the world’s leading 2D and 3D CAD design tools. Maximize productivity by using powerful tools for design aggregation and documentation, connecting and streamlining your design and documentation workflows.

Best Regards,
Tony

Sep 4, 12 9:16 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

gis certification may be helpful in getting a civil engineer or site design drafting job, but its not something that architects use.  (that i know of)  i think revit certification would be helpful, but its pretty tough to find a job right now in architecture, you're competing with recent graduates and current students.  

perhaps work in a furniture, construction, or cabinetry might be helpful?

Sep 5, 12 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
Tony Marcou

The Proficiency Certificate in AutoCAD provides architects, designers and illustrators with a working knowledge of AutoCAD for the development of computer-aided design, drafting, modeling and visualization projects.

Thanks in advance,
Tony

Oct 3, 12 10:22 am  · 
 · 
snail

A CAD certificate of any kind, or for that matter spending any time learning any drafting software, will be a complete waste of time and money if you want to use it to apply to an MArch program. It also won't help you apply for a job, since you will be competing against people who have degrees in architecture. So what you need to do, as some others have said, is make a portfolio out of your furniture design and photography, basically playing to your strengths / what you are good at and ignoring what you are not good at yet, and use that to apply to an architecture degree program. Some of the summer architecture programs at architecture schools, like Harvard's GSD Career Discovery program or the programs at GSAPP, UCLA, etc. would also help you build your porfolio and decide if architecture is right for you.

Oct 3, 12 4:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: