Archinect
anchor

The Inevitable Project Runway Thread

Heather Ring

Assistant Director of a British private school at an art camp in Paris (??!?)

Aug 1, 06 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i think she meant 'prostitute'
and the judges said the top and bottom were 'well constructed'
is that a similar compliment to 'she's nice' in the fashion
industry. i felt bad for the other girl, since she seemed to
be more down to earth and went with her more plausible story.
i think she may have not been chosen for that final group either way if
she'd finished her jacket and they'd have had no excuse to
keep angela on any longer.

thanks for that torrent link btw marlin...got a chance to
watch the whole show last night.

Aug 1, 06 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

My favorite part was when Heidi goes, "It looks cheap, no?"

Aug 2, 06 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Speaking of looking cheap, what the hell was Heidi herself wearing tonight?!? Those bubble shorts? Jeez.

Aug 2, 06 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

They seriously need to show some more Michael Knight. His outfit for the puppy challenge was AWESOME. I loved the neckline.

Aug 2, 06 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yeah he's getting the shaft. Also I hold the following opinions:

Aside from the whole "rule-breaking thing", which was a just decision, I think they made another poor choice for who went home tonight. I think the loser should have been the other loser, and the winner should have been the other winner (mainly out of spite as I really loathe the person that won). The only reason she won is that she had a great support group. If left to her own design, she would have lost for sure.

Speaking of, screw this team shite. That really screws things up.

Aug 2, 06 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Yes, Angela's group saved her. here's how I bet it went down, from countless similar group work situations:

Laura's maturity and experience helped her pull the good bits out of Angela's idea and massage it into something better, while manipulating Angela so Angela felt like she was being the leader, when really it was Laura leading; (hello, client management in architecture!!!)

and Michael's sense of style and structure put the outfilt together (with Laura's classy toning.)

Laura and Michael would make a very good team. In fact, they do.

Aug 2, 06 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

baby seals love this thread!

Aug 3, 06 12:00 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Bonnie was boring and her design BLEW MASSIVE CHUNKS. The other dude was better overall even though his design sucked this week.

Aug 3, 06 12:02 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Robert's design, sorry, was HORRIBLE. It was composed of elements that I could go out and buy right now and put together if I wanted to look like ass: a trip to NY & Company and a trip to REI and voila, there you have it. I'm sure it was good on paper but the execution was completely unoriginal.

As for Bonnie's design, it looked exactly like her sketch so if the guy thought it was bad then he shouldn't have picked it to begin with.

I think my problem is that it seems like the stronger designers are going home before the obvious gimps of the bunch. Speaking of, it's only a matter of time before Bradley hangs himself with his lack of time management skills. We all like to procrastinate but come on.....

Aug 3, 06 8:43 am  · 
 · 
myriam

THere aren't really any obvious standouts this year like there have been in the last two years.

Aug 3, 06 9:01 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

newsflash: there are enough clothing designers there are enough architects there are enough interior designers there are not enough nurses. become a nurse save a life wear cool scrubs.

Aug 3, 06 11:45 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

'Cool scrubs'?!?! The 80s are indeed back in style!!!! When do you start nursing school, vado?

Agree about Robert's design, DubK. And with myriam's overall assessment of how the team dynamic played out.

Aug 3, 06 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

michael knight, gettin' hott (pants) just in time for the second half o' the sho' !!

oh yeah !!

perhaps 'twas because michael kors was back on the scene .. michael x2 woo hoo ~ (bad designer/good critic) "it's fashion, lighten up"

Aug 12, 06 2:47 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yeah I really like Michael Knight. I am also going to go out on a limb and call favorites now....Alison, Uli, Jeffrey, Michael, Laura, Kayne....although I think Laura needs to shed her specific genre design aesthetic if she wants to win.

And although I didn't mind Angela's dress this week, I still don't really like her.

PS. Just out of curiosity, do you think Michael and Jeffrey are gay? I can't tell.

Aug 12, 06 11:22 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Michael and Jeffery aren't gay.

I like Michael and Kayne's designs best most consistently; I like Laura but I agree, all her stuff is the same genre and needs to break free badly; Uli is good; and i have a feeling Alison is good but I haven't seen anything amazing from her yet to prove that. I don't like Jeffrey. Probably partly because he's that jackass in studio who always buts into other people's shit. Argh. Plus he hasn't wowed me once yet.

Aug 12, 06 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

michael and jeffrey are gay. in fact, anyone who watches this show is gay. in fact, me even visiting this thread may mean that i am gay. now, for all you travellers, get through those tedious security checks with not only your see through bag for your carry on items, get yerself a see through outfit. you'll never have to wait on queue again.

Aug 12, 06 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Jeffrey finally did something I liked. Laura's suffocating gestalt is beginning to irritate me. And Michael? I love Michael. I think I'm embarking on a serious crush of Michael. He conceptualizes everything!

Aug 17, 06 1:14 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

laura is such a bitch....boring and stupid too

Aug 17, 06 1:20 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

[capslock]OMG ALISON OUT WTF[/capslock]

and vincent loves everything he does .. creepy 'i was turned on' huh?

michael k. x2 + 2 wins ina row go go !!

Aug 17, 06 2:13 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

actually, alison's early design was looking very pretty, i thought. too bad she changed her mind .. c'est la vie ~

i thought the color and repetition would be fantastique though 'twas a bit boxy but c'mon, she was a good one !! (they seemed to bypass kayne for his past performance ..)

Aug 17, 06 2:46 am  · 
 · 
myriam

I liked the "paper brioche" on her dresser's dummy! But it looked horrid on her model. I would have much rather seen that dull dude whose name escapes me get kicked off--his "cocktail dress!" was bad and they didn't even say anything about it. I didn't like Angela's either.

Aug 17, 06 6:03 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

rockstar supernova has much better costumes (and cosmetics)!

Aug 17, 06 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Go luke!

Aug 18, 06 12:01 am  · 
 · 
Katze

treekiller, congrats on 300...way to go!

Aug 18, 06 12:02 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i liked allison's piece, but i swore they were going to call it Gehry-esque....

Aug 18, 06 7:27 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

WHY THE HELL IS VINCENT STILL ON?

Aug 18, 06 9:36 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

stephanie

i think it's because he has 'personality'...allison was too nice
and did add anything to the story line. and that factors into
who gets eliminated...it even says so at the end of the show.

but i thought he was the weakest of the bunch this week.

Aug 18, 06 9:43 am  · 
 · 
Stides

I hate that they kept Vincent just because he adds conflict. Alison actually won a challenge and they axed her, when Vincent hasn't won shit.

Jeffrey is a complete tool, but his design was my favorite this week.

Aug 18, 06 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

why the hell does that architect woman (Laura) think she is super righteous and always correct? That 'only for nuts' dress was so bad. As an architect she could have played with surfaces, geometries etc...the possibilities were endless. I hope she gets capped soon.

Aug 18, 06 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I totally agree, she's a bitch and her designs are all totally 2-dimensional. Classy, but 2-dimensional.

Aug 18, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

I DON'T buy the "personality" business in keeping people on...if this were true malan would not be gone nor would keith.

laura it totally a bith and totally BORING!

Aug 18, 06 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

malan is gone because he snubbed project runway for season 2. the producers looked for the slightest bit of weakness from him, then told the judges to 'out' him. it didn't help that miss america fell for kayne's unwalkable evening gown (sad sad, so sad.)

malan :'(

Aug 18, 06 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Malan is gone because he sucked. Victor is still in because a) he works hard and stands up for his stuff and b) Allison's design made her model look fat, the unforgiveable in fashion design. The end.

Aug 18, 06 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I am 4000 miles away from home and this is the only thread I wanted to check!

I can't believe Alison got kicked off! Granted I didn't see it but I will reiterate my earlier statement that they seem to have kicked off stronger designers eariler in favor of the weaker ones. It seems to me that the great injustice is that Vincent, Robert and especially Angela are still there. I'm sorry but their designs are weak and honestly, can you imagine a final 3 with the three of them? No, that would be pathetic. I don't even think Laura should be in the final 3 and I do like her stuff.

I will now propose a theory for the purpose of causing an argument: do you think that there is ANY chance that they favor gay men over women on this show? Almost a reverse discrimination? Discuss.

Aug 19, 06 6:18 am  · 
 · 
myriam

whoops, Vincent* , not Victor.

I actually thought Robert should have gotten kicked off this week. His design was absolutely my least favorite. I definitely see their argument with Allison's, but his blew, and they let him go with the middling batch!

Aug 19, 06 7:16 am  · 
 · 
myriam

I don't buy the argument that they keep people on for personal drama, because a) Vincent is hardly dramatic, b) They've barely shown Angela "off-runway" for the last two weeks (like, you don't even see her making her dresses anymore) and c) Allison is *beautiful*. Her looks are absolutely made for TV!

Aug 19, 06 7:27 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

allison was kinda humdrum though..

the guy that got knocked off could've been knocked off weeks
ago. i guess he didn't really have a personality either though..
but he also never had a design that was interesting.

i think in general talent wins...but there is always a lot of drama...
so i think that does play into how things go.

for instance...angela is back at it because of this mother challenge..
and what's up with her saying 'it's embarrassing' to the judges..
it's one thing to critique someone elses work..it's another thing
to throw someone under the bus. she was trying to get her mother
to get in on it too. very unprofessional imo.

Aug 24, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

and vincent has been involved in his share of drama...but he's
also a freak which keeps things intersting. and he actually won
this week...so who knows he may actually have talent.

Aug 24, 06 11:55 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

you malan sucks??? i just ordered my entire fall wardrobe from malan. you are way off base myriam!

Aug 24, 06 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

As glad as I am that crazy lady finally got sacked tonight - let's face it, that crap was the last straw - I think it was very wasteful of them to fly her all the way to Paris to kick her off. Flaunting and irresponsible, especially in a time where we need to be more conscious of energy and fuel consumption, not more extravagant. Hella good advertising for Delta though, who's likely to face lots and lots of litigation after this past weekend's crash. Skymiles tickets, here I come....

Aug 31, 06 12:34 am  · 
 · 
myriam

I love Michael more and more every week. He just keeps getting better and better--really coming into himself as a designer. I say it's Michael, Uli, and... Laura(?) in the final three. It'll be tough between Laura and Jeffrey for the 3rd spot. Maybe Kayne can get back on track... that shirt wouldn't have been so Elvisy had he not specifically chosen to go with a) the belt and b) the flared-leg pant as accoutrements! Ack.

Aug 31, 06 12:42 am  · 
 · 
kissy_face

kanye should feel lucky that angela was just a *little* more tacky than him. What was she thinking with those flowers on her butt? She looked like she got her outfit off a clearance rack at Ross's.

I want it to come down to Michael, jeffrey (even though I hate him), and and Laura. I think Uli showed that she doesn't have much range tonight.

Aug 31, 06 8:08 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Angela has always been more tacky than Kayne. At least he designs stuff. She just makes a garment and then stickes rosettes all over it. It's just sad that it took a French woman to send her home!

I feel like this season, it's less about people designing things and more about a personal style that's being replicated and iterated. It's disappointing.

Aug 31, 06 8:49 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Yeah it's a disappointing season. For the most part they all just keep doing their thang. Laura's dress this time around though was a very elegant surprise. I loved the way one of the wrapped pieces went over one boob and into the other.

Aug 31, 06 8:51 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

after missing watching 3 or 4 weeks of the show live last night's episode totally restored my love for project runway.

how great was it hearing in a french accent "you look like a bad pop star"

kayne annoys me, but i think his tackiness is hilarious, and i am thankful that angela is gone, because she was just hands down annoying.

i'm excited to see what happens next. paris design challenge and trot around town and back to the states for elimination?

Aug 31, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

T-35 minutes to showtime ~

go michael + jeffrey + lauruli (can't decide on the third)

Sep 7, 06 12:25 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

vincent gets himself off for the last time .. au revoir !!

and laura's startin' to show (that her big fur collar stylee won't cut the mussed turd) architects should do couture best but we haven't seen much form this season what gives? where's the issey miyake or alexander mcqueen? bah! maybe jeffrey was the mcqueenest tonight ..

Sep 7, 06 3:32 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the passion went outta fashion!

Sep 7, 06 7:10 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

WTF with laura?! i wonder how long it takes to film this show, because it doesn't seem long ago that she found out she was pregnant, and all of the sudden she's definately showing.

i thought she was outsky this week, but there was a harmonious sigh of relief when it was vincent.

i didn't like the way jeffrey's american model looked in the dress. i liked it on the french lady though.

and i loved the back of kayne's dress. even though i think he is mostly tacky, i liked his showing last night.

Sep 7, 06 10:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: