Archinect
anchor

The Inevitable Project Runway Thread

larslarson

flop

they put them all up there so that you're not sure who the finalists
are...otherwise if only three of them had showed you'd have known
who didn't make it...the same thing happened last year.

Oct 9, 08 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
T D

Really, Steven Ward? Really? That's really what you came in here to say? This is a thread about a cable TV show; what exactly were you expecting to find? What compelled you to add that golden nugget of condesending wisdom to this discussion? I guess that's how you rack up 8,300 posts.

Oct 9, 08 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
flop

larslarson- what you say makes sense. But then why do they show the collections at all before the finale has been aired?? I might not know who the winner is, but now i know what everyone's collections look like. ah well, guess it was my choice to look.

Oct 9, 08 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

so who's it gonna be tonight?

[and if anyone says he or she is watching the debate instead, shame on you. where are your priorities?]

Oct 15, 08 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

all three have good collections .. leanne's may be the most cohesive but i don't like her work. i think it's a toss up between korto and kenley and although i've liked korto all season i think kenley may take this one.

and i'm on the west coast so i get to see the debate and the project runway final oh boy lucky me!

Oct 15, 08 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
T D

I have to respectfully disagree, FRC. My money's on Leanne.
Although I wasn't quite as smitten with her wedding dress as the judges, all that "architectural" waviness she displayed is quite impressive.

Oct 15, 08 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

ha. i think it's gonna be korto. leanne's work has great form, but i thought the colors were just horrible with that eighties looking turquoise and white. i'm rooting for kenley, but i think she's too much of a one trick pony with her whole 50s vibe. korto while not always stunning seems the most now. she also has the polish and craft to be the winner which i think is often the most critical factor.

Oct 15, 08 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

T D wins ze cash!

i really didn't think leanne would win .. it just seemed like one idea done over and over. i agree it was the most 'architectural' though and worked with shape more than korto and kenley.

kenley's use of rope didn't work for me; and that she wasn't aware of balenciaga or mcqueen's previous work is a bummer. if she learns her history i think she can take that and push things a lot further.

after seeing the runway show i thought korto might win - good collection and kind of reminded me of chloe's work a few seasons ago. hey she got fan favorite which was well deserved.

what station is this thing moving to for next season?

Oct 16, 08 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

It's going to Lifetime, I think, FRaC.

Well I think I understand why Leanne won, although after seeing her collection, I thought Korto had a great chance. Leanne's was impeccable; so well crafted and so much work went into it, obviously. I would compare her use of color and theme to Christian's last season, but his was more artistic and had a broader vision. I think Leanne is as OCD as I am so I can relate to her using pattern to explore the collection but like you all, I was like....come on already. Give me something BEYOND the petals. I love the petals, but expand on the petals. Also I was sad because I thought hers was missing that one fantastic WOW piece. Like Christian's feather dress last year. I still think that was amazing.

And bravo to Korto. I love her stuff and I love that I could wear most of it. I think opportunities will open up to her because of this. Good for her.

AS for Kenley ... bleh. Half of her stuff was a waste of my time. I like the idea of painting the fabric but if it looks like hell when it's done, what does that help? And did she actually send a plain black dress down the runway? None of her stuff was original, and nothing was particularly visionary. All in all, I'm pleased with the results.

Oct 16, 08 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

project runway season 6 starts august 20th !!

i'm pickin' johnny from west hollywood (favorite designer: alexander mcqueen hey! just like me we have soooo much in common!)

let's do it for johnny, man ... DO IT FOR JOHNNY!

Jul 31, 09 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

not Bob Marley?

Jul 31, 09 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
simples

i have to find out which channel lifetime comes in at home...hopefully the fact that the show will on another network, and in LA, won't ruin it...

Jul 31, 09 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Much of season six was shot in a space that I worked on. My wife watches the show religiously but this is going to be the first time the show gets my undivided attention - what will Tim think of my mechanical coordination?

Jul 31, 09 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
simples

the new season premiere is tonight...just came home from the bar, and am watching the "all-star" pre-premiere with the mrs...

we are shocked uli got eliminated so early...we thought her collection was by far the best one...

anyone else watching?

Aug 20, 09 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The hen has flown the coop....

I mean I'm all for having concepts behind a design project, but that wrap honestly looked exactly like the woman had already given birth and was carrying the infant in a sling. It was hiding the bulge, not celebrating it!

Aug 27, 09 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

yeah it doesn't matter what the concept is (or what your process is) .. in the end it's gotta look good!

malvin lists his favorite designer as himself which is great he has that confidence .. but if you're 24 and you're not a design genius (he's not) you are setting yourself up for failure.

and right after being eliminated he says something like 'america's just not ready for conceptual design' oh get over yourself already! project runway isn't ready to reward bad design which is what you produced. ugh!

Aug 28, 09 2:30 am  · 
 · 
treebeard

i was a bit surprised that they eliminated two "avant-garde" designers right in a row. in the past they seem to keep a couple of the crazies just to keep it interesting. the fact that they've kept the baggy shorts/sheer dress guy baffles me, but that's project runway for you. making decisions i usually don't agree with...

nobody has stood out too much yet, in terms of talent. also, i'm hoping they don't make too many of the challenges centered around celebrities.

Aug 28, 09 3:32 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Treebeard - I think it's b/c the designs of both desginers weren't very well presented. That sling was terrible. It really did look like the baby had already been born and was just hiding in the pouch. Concepts are great, but in the end no one wears it or buys it than ultimately the idea failed. I really did like the winner's design (I haven't learned their names yet). So many women out there feel huge and ugly during pregnancy and the dress and jacket she designed was not only elegantly constructed but very flattering and would probably make the mom-to-be feel beautiful and comfortable.

Aug 28, 09 9:03 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

funny...it seems the men on this thread liked malvin and the women didn't. it was a bad design, but i think good things could come from him. he's definitely not boring, and unfortunately, i think there are a number of designers this season that are. naked model/baggy shorts guy is a complete tool and needs to go and fast. i just don't see this season's santino/jeffrey emerging yet; too many chloes.

Aug 28, 09 10:05 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I actually like Malvin, as a personality (and I love how Tim Gunn pronounced his name Melvin all the time, a name that makes me picture a middle-aged pot-bellied guy drinking beer in a truck stop), but his outfit was terrible.

Baggy shorts guy (Shawn?) had a great idea for his outfit, it was just poorly made. I totally would have worn that outfit when I was pregnant - if the shorts had been reasonable and longer.

Qrystal's design from last week was baaad, but this week's was lovely. Last week I thought she might be booted. It really comes down to what makes good TV in any given week, I guess.

Aug 28, 09 10:13 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

I'm sorry, but no matter his issues, Malvin's design was MUCH better than shitty Mitchell's poorly-made crap. If Mitchell hadn't ALSO screwed up last week, I would have been more ok with this week's result... but come on, no matter how weird the egg concept was, I think Malvin as a designer deserved to stay in much more than Mitchell! Also, that Puma-bowling-ball-bag dress was HIDEOUS. It was much worse than Malvin's weird sling thing, in my opinion.

Aug 28, 09 10:43 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

I thought the winner's was EXCELLENT. I could totally see myself buying that if I were pregnant. All the top three were good, in my opinion -- and what a tough challenge!

Also, I was ranting and railing about how none of the designers seemed to think about breast size when designing their dresses... until we got to the girl who made the slip-dress, which had expanding breast cups -- too cool! I don't like slip-dresses, generally, but I was glad to see the thought she put into hers.

Aug 28, 09 10:46 am  · 
 · 

manta, I was wondering about the same thing. I was like, um they should have to put padded bras on the models as well as fake stomachs. The one thing that the slip dress didn't take into account though is the need to wear a supportive bra--those straps would never have hidden the straps of a decent bra.

I agree that Mitchell should've gone home. Two weeks in a row of that crap is certainly enough. I also just don't like the statement it makes to kick out the most conceptual designer in the competition two weeks running.

Aug 28, 09 11:04 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

You guys a re right - a critical part of a pregnant woman's silhouette is the inevitable huge boobs. They all looked a bit silly to me with their tiny supermodel cup sizes.

I can't remember Mitchell's from last week. And I share a bit of concern that the people left are all good but maybe none very experimental?

Aug 28, 09 11:14 am  · 
 · 
****melt

I agree Mitchel should have gone home yesterday. I wonder though if the designers are judging based more on the saleability of the individual's design than the design itself.

Aug 28, 09 11:17 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh, sorry I got confused - Mitchell is baggy-shorts boy and last week's nude, I was thinking Ra'mon, of the bowling ball bag: what did he do last week?

Aug 28, 09 11:20 am  · 
 · 

didn't he do the navy blue gown last week? That they said was good, but he needed to take more chances? I figured that explained how the bowling ball came about.

Aug 28, 09 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

That bowling ball bag dress was just AWFUL. and all of those tooth-pick models looked ridiculous with the tiny boobs and scary baby bump pillows. But I loved that they tried this challenge - something different! The winning dress was beautiful and I would have worn it myself when preggers. I might try to figure out how she made that detail at the waistline...elegant and something new.
I hated both Malvin and Mitchell's designs, but I too was sort of surprised that two weeks in a row they weeded out the crazies. hopefully the rest of the season won't suffer because of this.
I really like althea's work - however ill-sized those bra cups were - and she seems genuinely nice.
i think this season is setting up for some really cattiness - lots of people in their interviews are talkin' s#*t. bring it on!

Aug 28, 09 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
simples

i am so glad to hear you guys, 'cause we (the mrs. and I) were thinking the same thing...we absolutely loved the winner's (shirin) dress, but both ra'mon (puma dress) or mitchell (does he know how to sew?) should've gone before malvin...i think his concept was interesting, though way over literal, but his execution killed it...at least he was trying to push something...

mitchell's pieces, even if the were to be executed perfectly, were not creative or sophisticated enough, i think.

anyways, my wife is 8 months pregnant, so she really enjoyed the episode, and loved how elegant, sophisticated and strong the Shirin's (the winner) outfit was. Lastly, how come there is no good maternity clothing out there?! and when you find something half decent, it's so damn expensive...(and don't get me going on strollers) - sorry...back to project runway!

Aug 28, 09 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
eigenvectors

the best project ever

Aug 29, 09 1:26 am  · 
 · 
eigenvectors

the best project ever

Aug 29, 09 1:26 am  · 
 · 
jacbee

i loveeeeeeed althea's dress.
she did a pretty job.

Aug 29, 09 2:22 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

okay i am watching this as it is posted on the internets. designers gather round. wtf? how could they vote Malvin out? at least he had a concept and a well made garment. sure, it missed the mark but, hell the other outfit looked like it came from target (nothing against target but you know what i mean) plus the craftsmanship was way bad. the right person won. i personally am rooting for epperson as he is my age. and i don't know how to say this but i always find my self rooting for the straight guy. i also was thinking about the boob factor. it would have been a smart move to pad the tops of those girls as well. it may have helped a design and would have added to the realism.

Aug 29, 09 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

I keep on thinking about Laura from 2 seasons ago. She used to be an architect turned fashion designer? I want to ask her if she finds arch. harder than fashion? I can see fashion design being so much more fulfilling in the sense that you truly get that immediate gratification. It's so readily there for you to just touch and fix whatever you desire in 10 mins., etc. It must be so freeing in a sense. Watcha guys think? Any experience in fashion design and care to compare to arch?

Aug 29, 09 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

for the record, i hated Malvin and his literal, horseshit interpretation; didn't he realize that only in his little warped dome, women probably wouldn't like being compared to a hen, sitting on an egg? a bit sexist if you ask moi. i do think mitchell should have gone home though, two weeks of shit was enough for me; i could have sewn 2 garbage bag together better. although the winner's dress was awesome, how come no one asked - none of the pregnant women - how do you sit in that dress? rebecca when sitting down had this long flowing dress. so do women going to red carpet events never sit? if they did in that dress, you might actually get to see the twins....

Aug 30, 09 5:45 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

the bitching thread

Aug 30, 09 7:36 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

I liked Laura the baby machine until she went behind Jeffrey's back and accused him of cheating.

Aug 30, 09 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
treebeard

thank god mitchell is gone! i couldn't stand that guy anway, the personality bugged me. i think it's because he reminds me of a guy in my studio who never takes things seriously and is flippant about everything. grr... take some pride in your work!

anyway, i loved the winning design. i just hope that this is a continuing trend for ra'mon considering last week's design (bowling ball dress). the fabric he chose was perfect, and was impressive since it was done so quickly.

also, i really enjoyed the other top design that had the macrame in the back of the shirt. it was elegantly casual, however i didn't care so much for the advantgarde look that went with it. the detailing at the top didn't look right to me for some reason.

so who do you have your eye on? i know it's too soon to pick favorites, but i'm interested to see what epperson pulls out of his hat, he seems like he has the potential for good things. other than that its still too soon to tell. i hope we will be pleasantly surprised as this season develops.

Sep 4, 09 12:04 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I think Epperson rocks, the dress last night was great (I loved the billowy puff skirt, which the judges seemed to not like), and his dress on the very first show was overlooked but gorgeous.

Ra'mon's dress last night was, IMO, a very cool idea but looked very thrown-together-last-minute to me. Though I think it showed great creativity and intuition, I don't think it deserved to win. I would have preferred the macrame back to win.

Sep 4, 09 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Laura the baby machine was a complete biatch.

Sep 4, 09 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

coming in late as i have to wait for the show to be put up online.

i did not get this one. ra'mon's was okay. a "you're in" design. but a winner? i liked the macrame back as well. i also like the tie dyed macrame top quite a bit but they f'd the pants and the avant garde was totally mer-slut-maid.

i am pulling for epperson. except for the dreads, he and i have much in common. same age, straight and we have the same first name. go epperson. although i want shirin, althea and irina to stick around for obvious reasons.

Sep 5, 09 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Tonight's episode was wrong on all levels. A bad challenge, a boring predictable dress won, and the wrong person got booted. So, so disappointed. And I really can't stand how Heidi speaks.

Sep 24, 09 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
simples

i logged on just to say this: the ice queen dress!??! really!?!? you gotta be f'ing kidding me...

but since i am here, i was amazed they kept eliminating people who actually try to actually design (even though it was a disaster)

and lastly, who are these new judges?!...all the criticism was personal ("i really don't like this"..."i love that"...)...i am worried...

Sep 24, 09 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

WTF, seriously?! Epperson's and the other dude's (Chris?) were both AWESOME -- I LOVED Epperson's. The Ice Queen was boring, boring, boooooring.

Epperson's had some awesome designs and hasn't won anything for them yet. I'm still waiting for him to slowly become recognized and end up winning it all... I could see him as a "Little Miss Sunshine" kind of candidate.

Also, simples, I totally agree about the personal criticism. I was thinking the same thing today. Also, they cast too much of themselves into their criticism -- bad juror move #1. It's not about what YOU think the designer COULD have been going for, or what you envision their piece is theoretically about, it's about what they did, and what they really did think about. Not, What Could Have Been In Some Alternate Universe.

Sep 25, 09 12:04 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Also, who ARE these people?! The judges, I mean. I mean, really.

Sep 25, 09 12:05 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Exactly. Epperson and Chris did fantastic, risky, gorgeous dresses. That ice queen thing was discount Bob Mackie. Ra'mon has real skill and no fear of self-criticism, while Louise's was dull. ugh. I'm so disappointed.

Sep 25, 09 12:07 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Well fashionistas, I am guessing Nina Garcia is in Milan/Paris/London since many of the spring fashion previews are happening now.

And I'm assuming Michael Kors has to finish his summer/fall '10 collection for the like 8 labels he works for by the end of this month... so they are ready to show in January.

Sep 25, 09 12:16 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

I just rewatched the runway part, and was once again blown away by both Epperson's and Chris'. Man. They both look RUNWAY. I mean -- haute couture, classy but with actual wearability. You could actually see either of them on a real movie set. Man! Also, this is quite possibly the first dress of Ramon's I've actually liked. Well, I liked it walking -- but standing still and looking closely, not as much. Still, not the worst on the runway.

Giordana's is the worst by far. It is boring and has no story or personality; all she did was make a dress. The Ice Queen is totally totally lame. Not bad enough to be kicked off but boring, and all it is is a regular, typical dress form but glammed up with some applique crap around the head.

Meanwhile, Chris and Epperson both designed dresses that ... structurally are fascinating; they're both pieced in a way that I just haven't seen before. Very intriguing. I cannot, cannot believe that either of them didn't win. Total BS.

Juror comments as I listen:
"so cool" "i really really like it" "i'm bored" "i really don't like the dress."

Sep 25, 09 12:21 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Orochi, they shot this about 4 months ago or so, so I still can't figure it out. Remember, they wrap second to last episode with a couple months to go before Sept. fashion week (which was just a couple weeks ago). But even if you can't get Nina or Michael -- can't you at least get a knowledgeable designer? Even the knock-off show got Mizrahi. Man.

Totally agree on the knockoff Bob Mackie. Man. Also, did anyone else notice the irony that they kept saying the Ice Queen dress would photograph well in movies, and yet us sitting watching this on TV could barely make out the detail in the white? All white does not particularly photograph well, does it? You can never see any detail in white on screen. It gets too washed out in the high-contrast.

Sep 25, 09 12:24 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Also, you all don't know who John Varvatos and Zoe Gassney is?

That's as aloof as this years Von Furstenberg hats.

Sep 25, 09 12:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: