Archinect
anchor

Work Study during M.Arch

somearchitect

I'm working on financing my M.Arch at Columbia and wonder if you all have advice on work study. Columbia offered me the standard $3K per year work study, and as much as I would love to shave that off my private loans, when I have been in school before, the last thing I had time to do was work.

Has anyone had experience with work study at a Master's level before? Is it worth it?

Jul 12, 06 12:50 pm
feelandtriple

depends on the type of job and if you're in a huge hurry to finish your degree
do you consider TA or RA work-study? I TA'ed (at UT) and it was very rewarding, not too many hours and you were learning (from the students and the profs and yourself) while you worked. more like taking another class.
if you take a desk job there is usually time to do any reading homework or paper writing while you're there.
but i don't know columbia...

Jul 12, 06 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

I'm actually teaching a class while starting my program. After a week of it, I'd advise you to consider waiting until you've been in for a semester and know how you will handle to courseload. For me, it already means getting up at 5 am every day.

Jul 13, 06 8:13 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

I found that non-workstudy options (TAships, teaching fellowships, a part-time job in a very nearby firm) were more lucrative and felt more productive.

I had a workstudy job for 1 semester - it was answering phones, typing, and helping people with the fax machine. It was easier to fit into my schedule (university departments are used to scheduling workstudy people in weird, short blocks of time between classes) but it felt like I was wasting time.

But: I wouldn't reject the workstudy award on your fin. aid package UNLESS the school is agreeing to replace that with additional grants (very unlikely.) You can accept the workstudy award and just not work any hours. This won't usually affect your eligibility for applying for slightly higher loans that the fin. aid office projected, and it lets you keep the workstudy option if things get really desperate.

Jul 13, 06 9:39 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I do a 4 hour a week shift in the computer lab. I just work on stuff there, or use it as break time. I laid out boards before mid review. I've done it all semesters. It's pocket change, but any income is nice.

Jul 13, 06 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

at the philly ive league:

work study = $10/hour if you're lucky

intern in an office = $15/hour (part time)

get a real job, your resume will look better too!

Jul 13, 06 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: