Archinect
anchor

PS1: Warm Up

sloring

Has anyone been to the PS1: Warm Up yet this year? Was interested in how the structure is compared to last years. I'm thinking of going next weekend to check it out.

Jul 3, 06 6:01 pm
MADianito

the tell us what u think bout it ;-)

(take also some pics in full display of use, im tired of all the magazine-userless-images of architecture)

Jul 4, 06 4:46 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

It looks too much like the nArchitect's installation...

nArchitects

Obra

by too much I mean, nArchitect's installation was better.

Jul 5, 06 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
sa

really surprised how they chose such a "similar" installation, I thought PS1 was interested in innovating each year...

Jul 6, 06 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
pumakiro

gosh this really look like the other one...what a disappointment. Altough last years didn't last long eough and got deteriorated really quickly it was really different....and innovative.!!!

Jul 6, 06 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
RNNR

i'm terribly biased on this one... OBRA's is uninspiring, unoriginal (see nArchitects or Frei Otto), and should not have beat
Howeler+Yoon's entry.

take a look at the first project on the page (click for a PDF)

Jul 6, 06 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

rnnr

that submission was pretty impressive.. initially i saw it as
just another computer rendering..but then they actually showed
details..and built components..nice.

it seems as though it'd be more expensive than the budget to fill that entire courtyard with plexi and fancy fasteners may be the only
problem. it did seem innovative though..far more than the wreck
that is going to be obra's submission...

maybe they didn't provide enough shade.

Jul 6, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
noguy

how does one get selected to make a proposal anyways?

Jul 7, 06 8:54 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

i liked Ali Rahim proposal, but ppl would had said it looked like Alondo's last year pavillion... or maybe thats what P.S.1 ppl thought, yeah OBRA's is not too exciting...and i liked the nArchs pavillion cause it was cool, cause of the choice of the materials, and because they're my friends...hehehehehe

Jul 7, 06 10:33 am  · 
 · 
kenny

I'm pretty sure you have to be nominated by a previous winner (or maybe it's by the previous years top 5) ... either way 25 firms are selected to submit written proposals/portfolios then PS1 chooses 5 teams to submit design proposals.

Jul 7, 06 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Disclosure: I know nothing about either nArchitect's or Obra's installations. Saw pictures of nArchitect's when it was up and have only seen a couple Flickr images of Obra's.

But, I'm putting on my teacher hat here: You guys who are saying they look too much alike are not looking very hard! One is a consistent mesh of thin elements, a continuous canopy, very sinuous, organic, fragile, and flexible. The other has a heirarchy of structural elements: bays, beams, arches, a membrane. Much more traditional form, very butch (I love using that word to describe architecture) and logical. One is really a tree, the other is really a building.

Learn to not just look at a form but to see it: analyze why it has that shape, what elements make it, what was the concept around which decisions were made, etc. Pretty basic tasks of an architect analyzing any built thing.

Jul 7, 06 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

my favorite memory of that courtyard was visiting last feb 13 after i got stranded in nyc for a couple of extra days on account of a 2-feet-of-snow-in-eight-hours-snowstorm. the courtyard was completely empty save for the thick blanket of snow with a small, maybe 2 ft wide path shovelled through it to the main door. this was actually the day after the storm and quite sunny by afternoon. very peaceful, i wish i had snapped a photograph. wide open space...bordered by those tall concrete walls...eerily quiet...covered in snow and bathed in sunshine. all in all, an excellent contrast to the warm-up images that i associate with the place.

Jul 8, 06 12:02 am  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Check out the OBRA/PS-1 stuff on Gutter, pretty funny.

gutter.curbed.com/

Jul 9, 06 3:02 am  · 
 · 

you know what i find ironic is that while the architects at ps-1 are young and theoretically less afraid of breaking from convention, most of the installations so far have been rather conventional...going from the pics anyway. maybe they are more impressive in person...

but then on the other side of the ocean there is this 60+ yr old dude making a pavillion out of plexiglass and a crazy ballon roof thing...sort of ugly (again just based on pics and news from friends who took a peak), but definitely not the expected pretty form, or yet another experiment with cellular structures.

i don't know which is better but the images above are certainly similar enough that one might be forgiven for thinking they were iterations of the same project (LB's objections notwithstanding). And even last year's project lacks the maturity of rem's little picadillo.

Although it ain't their intention PS-1, for me at least, underlines the reality that architects need seasoning and that youth is, often as not, holding us back from actual innovation...

just a thought. don't mean to be an agist or anything.

Jul 9, 06 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i think is just different style's of aproaching projects, and thats what i like about architecture profession, variety, lets see narchs one which maybe is more american (whatever that means since, eric is canadian and mimi vietnamese), then Hernan Diaz-Alonso's i could say is more experimental and more adventrourous showing his latin or argentinian irreeverence, and on the other side, koolhaas pavillion could seem very "experimental" but i think is not that much...i dunno i cannot say one is better than the other, i just like to see all different aproaches... (on pavillions or in anything architectural)

maybe is more interesting to see what big names of architecture could do in countries with less developed economies as the U.S. and the E.U. or what local architects in those countries can do with bulky budgets in a (prime) class economy country...

Jul 10, 06 4:06 am  · 
 · 

more or less agree with you MADianito...

on the other hand can't help but think this isn't about budget or origins. when you mentioned the above i was thinking of the work of the profs in santiago@ the open university; really good examples of low budget but rich design approach that is also quite mature.

not pavillions, however, so maybe the comparison is not apt.

i wouldn't say koolhaas'pavillion is experimental at all. structure and construction is all quite straighforward, as are the details from what i hear. but the idea is startling. i think that is because he is not afraid to propose and build crazy (even BAD) things...while the young guns at ps1 (who are i think all quite good and interesting) are not at that point yet. takes either the right personality or a lot of experience to get there. least that is the way i see it.

Jul 10, 06 9:12 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell
you know what i find ironic is that while the architects at ps-1 are young and theoretically less afraid of breaking from convention, most of the installations so far have been rather conventional

I agree, jump. One of the reasons I was so impressed with Siza et al's Serpentine Pavilion last summer was that it came from a 70+ year old architect (working with collaborators well into their 50s) and was such a deviation from his earlier work. And it was so chunky, not really trying to be conventionally pretty, but being the result of a structural idea.

Similarly, I actually thought nArchitect's bamboo was innovative in its use of an unrefined material - and I think it was a beautiful idea and an absoultely lovely installation. The magic for me was that it seemed the material defined the form: while given a few anchorage points, the bamboo seemed to droop and arch according to its own structural integrity, so the whole form seemed organic and not completely pre-conceived. Again, I've only seen pictures so I may be wrong.

And of course young architects could be forgiven for looking at nArchitect's and OBRA's and even the Siza above and thinking they look "similar", but they should also see not just how something looks but why it looks that way.

Jul 10, 06 10:10 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

they don't just look similar...they all look like 3D-H! per, can we get a picture posted for comparison's sake?

Jul 10, 06 11:27 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

lb

i can see your point that they aren't 'the same'...however
when you look at the proposals that have occurred nA's and
obras stand out as being very similar to each other's (comparatively
to each of the others) although the structural concepts are
disimilar..their use of an arching form is not...each of the other's
is recognizably different from the other and approached the
problem from a completely different way with different materials.

personally i think i'd have a big grid of beach umbrellas suspended
on guidewires..with maybe a sprinkler system on one side...

i wonder if you're allowed to dig into the courtyard..and why noone's
considered that yet...cause i think that'd be cool too.

Jul 10, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

and fyi..

nA's was beautiful to see in person..the connections to the walls were
nice too. good project to see and i thought the fact that they used
bamboo was nice and responsible as well.

Jul 10, 06 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

yeah...given the context of the client i'm a bit surprised we haven't see some wilder ideas.

not sure if i'd still qualify as a young architect, but i'd probably chose a "not-installation" strategy and leave the courtyard as empty & ephemeral as possible. most likely i'd just show up one afternoon and start drinking until i reached that point of saturation where i constantly need to relieve myself...then eveybody would know why i'm called puddles

Jul 10, 06 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

maybe is easier to get wilder when ur a stablished STARchitect than when ur an emergent young gun who wishes to do a "cool thing" + media-wise so u can get more media coverage... i dunno, its tricky but as i said before, i apreciate the contrasts in the diff pavillions (U.S. + E.U. + E.T. maybe?) hehehe

Jul 11, 06 4:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: