Archinect
anchor

Venice Biennale

Queen Monkey

Has any one of you visited the Architecture Biennale in Venice?
I’d really like to go this September (I’ve put it off for so long!) but, as no-one I know has ever visited so I’m not quite sure what to excpect…..
Is it worth going? And for how long?

Jul 1, 06 7:11 am

i went in 2002 and had a blast. so, i seriously recommend it.
i missed 2004, but have already made plans to go to this years.
a weekend is long enough. you kinda get "full" of seeing so much architecture after a while anyway.

Jul 1, 06 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

i went in 2002. it was great, but seeing Venice beats the biennale, so go for that anyway

Jul 1, 06 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
atowle

im planning on going this year too. any recommendations on places to stay? is it busier / more expensive while the biennale is on?

Jul 3, 06 8:57 am  · 
 · 

i think venice is always expensive. i would figure on 100euros/night.

Jul 3, 06 9:14 am  · 
 · 
AP

i went in '04, definitely worth it. There's no other chance to see the interior of the Arsenale. Don't forget to look past the exhibits and take the space into consideration...The Metamorph curators in 2004 almost over-curated the space...that's just my opinion...they created some kind of spinal/ribbed framework that was trying to be an architecture of its own...interfered with the Arsenale's over-whelming-ness...<pre-coffee nonsense words...

anyway, go.

if you look, you should be able to find accomodations in Venice for cheaper than 100Euro/night. If it comes to it, you could always sleep in Padova or Verona...or Vicenza...

Jul 3, 06 9:55 am  · 
 · 
AP

^cheap accomodations = hostels/dorms with shared rooms...

Jul 3, 06 9:55 am  · 
 · 
matteo

Does anyone know what the title is?
and who is the curator?

Here some hotels:
hotels in venice

Jul 3, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 
matteo

Found it La Biennale :

Cities, architecture and society
directed by Richard Burdett

The exhibition is open daily 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
from 10th September to 19th November 2006
Ticket Full price € 13
Students/Under 26 (Students with university card, Under 26 years of age with ID card) € 8

Jul 3, 06 11:59 am  · 
 · 
atowle

for those that have been before . . . will i need to pre book tickets or can i get access on the door?

I know Jeremy Till, previous discussion, is curating the British Pavillion, along with Martyn Ware, founder member of the Human League and Heaven 17, Ian Anderson of The Designers’ Republic plus others.

"An “urban catalogue” will be assembled in the four side rooms of the Pavilion, the composition of light, sound and images in each room reflecting urban experience at a particular architectural and social scale; either 1:1, 1:100, 1:10,000 or 1:10,000,000. The central room is a dynamic interactive space in which visitors will be able to create their own version of Sheffield – an Echo City."

Hmmm . . .

Jul 4, 06 8:44 am  · 
 · 

till, with human league and hc17 - oh boy i gotta see that!!!!
tickets at entrance is fine.
this years main exhibition actually doesnt interest me so much.
i personally prefer to just see new projects, not more so called research on ...cities, population trends, architects being sociologists...

Jul 4, 06 9:47 am  · 
 · 
matteo

"will i need to pre book tickets or can i get access on the door?"

No, I haven't had any problem in that sense.
But if you are a group of 10+ people you have to book to have tickets discount.

Jul 4, 06 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
24out1in

I agree with AP- stay overnight in Vicenza at their one hostel on Corso Palladio. Venice is too expensive and touristy to stay there.

...while you're there check out the VIA: Vicenza Institute of Architecture run by the Univ. of Florida.

Jul 5, 06 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: