Archinect
anchor

3d programs....pros/cons

binary

i need to learn some 3d programs and need some help in deciding the ones that are benificial for my usage.

i need to make decent 3d models and then use those models for cnc/3d printing. i'm going back for a m.a. in i.d. and would need to mill parts/models/etc...

pro/e
alias
3d viz
rhino
etc..

i heard my best would be pro/e

but i need it for both presentation ideas and milling.....

thanks
b

Jun 27, 06 9:48 pm
Kardiogramm

isn't pro e mainly for industrial design. I'd go for either formz or rhino since they are used a lot in architecture. the new version of formz even allows you to export to to colour 3d printers

Jun 27, 06 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i'm going for a m.a. in industrial design..... i already have a b.a. in arch.

i would use it mainly on the programming side... i'm not too worried about pretty pictures since you can always use photoshop to do that...

b

Jun 27, 06 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

You probably want to find out what hardware your school uses, or to what hardware you will be sending your output. At Penn, the mill ONLY allows files generated in Rhino. So it's more a question of what programs will work for the final output hardware. Max is solids, Rhino is NURBS surfaces. Very different stuff as far as the computer goes.

Jun 27, 06 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

you could also look into:

http://www.ugs.com/

(i find their website doesn't actually give you a lot of info about their apps, apple uses them as well as dyson)

Jul 6, 06 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

for Industrial Deign I would have to really recommend Solidworks,and Flash.......I never used pro-E but solidworks is a great parametric 3D modeler, and Flash is a great tool not only for web design but for presentation and Illustrating your designs, but if you prefer you can also use Photoshop for your Illustrations of your 3d Model...I also really like RHino (been useing for a few years now myself) its a great surface modeler that you can use, then Render it with Vray or even Flamingo(not first choice, but ok)

Sep 22, 06 12:45 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Solidworks can be used to model then you can actually use a 3d printer .....
http://www.3dsystems.com/products/multijet/index.asp

Sep 22, 06 12:48 am  · 
 · 
VampyVan

how abt 3ds max? i learn it but would love to try new software...
formz looks cool

Sep 29, 06 10:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: