Archinect
anchor

Architecture/Design magazines

morfo

Any comment on Wallpaper, Dwell and Metropolis? Other recommendations?

Jun 26, 06 11:09 pm
chupacabra

Summa +

picked it up in argentina...it is good.

Jun 26, 06 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Comment is try searching past thread topics.you never know what you'll find.

Jun 26, 06 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

wallpaper has seriosly lost its edge since tyler brûlé split after episode 49. the whole thing seems to be about nothing more than buying the coolest shit...whatever that is this month.

i actually think that robb report luxury home and architectural digest are probably more relevant.

Jun 26, 06 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
RKTechture

I have a subscription to Metropolis...interesting read usually. Seems to cover all the bases; architecture, art, planning issues, product design and some social and political commentary worked in. One thing I hate is how one two page article is spread out over six pages because it's broken up with ads. I guess that's any magazine though.

Jun 27, 06 12:32 am  · 
 · 
fulcrum
Detail

Compare to some other architectural magazines, it's pretty expensive to subscribe but with Detail, you can actually use it as reference for several years after its issuing date. It's very resourceful. Metropolis has some good readings, but just like any other magazines, it's loaded with advertisements.

Jun 27, 06 7:41 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i was about to say Detail as well. fulcrum is 100% right.

It's an amazing resource and invaluable as a fixture in your library. i have a few copies on my desk as i type. all the copies at my firm are all dogeared and post-it tabbed quite thoroughly

Jun 27, 06 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i think MARK (by the guys from FRAME, and also FRAME) could be good options...mmhh DOMUS is ionteresting from time to time...mmhhh ICON, i definetly like ICON, by the way if someone knows where i can find ICON consistently at Barcelona i would apreciate if u share the location....Medit r u around?? know any good place to find ICON magazine at BCN???

MORFO, start ur own magazine, publish ur friends and u will have the best magazine ever ;-)
thats the way all magazines starts anyways

Jun 28, 06 4:25 am  · 
 · 
momentum

every time i get an issue of detail i learn something new, and am pleasantly surprised by the projects and the sections they show... detail never dissappoints.

Jun 28, 06 8:46 am  · 
 · 
kwarch

ABITARE has always been one of my favorites.
Also WOOD DESIGN & BUILDING.

Jun 28, 06 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
morfo

Hey MADianito, I was in BCN last year. I would be interested in starting a magazine too. Let's work on that idea?? BTW have you seen LOG or ANY? http://www.anycorp.com/

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I do find ABITARE and MARK quite interesting. Of course DETAIL is always good.

Jun 29, 06 12:05 am  · 
 · 
mikilee

Wallpaper= glossy fashion architecture, sexy
Metropolis= grassroots, intellectual; susan szenasy rocks my world
Dwell= like "Lucky" mag for architects

Jun 29, 06 12:45 am  · 
 · 
e

start your own indeed. pamphlet architecture, while not a mag, started that way in the late 70s. college roommates, steven holl and bill stout, conceived of the idea as a venue for the thoughts and works of a younger generation of architects.

Jun 29, 06 1:40 am  · 
 · 
cf

elle
interior design

Jun 29, 06 8:45 am  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

not totally architecture but has some interesting articles
http://www.poloxygen.com/

Jun 29, 06 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

e + morfo pamphlet started that way as also 306090 i had my own "architectural fanzine" when i was at school... i had a blast doin it, i dont have time to do it anymore, but is fun....

MORFO yeah ANY "was" cool, but long ago since they stopped printing those books... they had a magazine published after called LOG if i remember well... i dunno what ANY corp has been doing lately, we should ask Peter E.

STILL ANYONE KNOWS WHERE TO GET ICON at BARCELONA???

Jun 30, 06 7:44 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

sorry MORFO didnt read all ur comment, yeah ur right they have LOG now, still i think i had never seen/read any LOG magazine...i dunno if i agree now w/the whole ANY philosophy... i dunno if i agree with other philosophies in general, trying to build my own theories about architecture and design now maybe...hahaha, im taking over definetly!!

Jun 30, 06 7:52 am  · 
 · 
siggers

A10 magazine - I have just ordered two copies, not had a chance to read through them properly, but it looks very promising.

Jun 30, 06 8:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: