Archinect
anchor

Northeast becoming the New Northwest

Jefferson

Are we witnessing a global shift? The last few years there has been large amounts of rain during the early summer months...so much so that it seems NYC and Boston are becoming more and more like Seattle. This past month there was 21 inches of rain, and much more to come. WTF is going on??!!!

Jun 26, 06 5:18 pm
e

jefferson, it only rains in the northwest in the winter. rarely in the summer. not to mention it is well known, at least i thought, that it rains more in many cities within the states than in seattle. nyc is one of them.

Jun 26, 06 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Jefferson

It rains more in NYC? Maybe in total but Seattle is constantly grey and misty...that can't be fun.

Back to the topic at hand, who believes in the severity of global warming that is going on? Is Gore/Hawking correct?

Jun 26, 06 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I can attest to the fact that it has been raining alot this year and boy does it screw up construction schedules.

Jun 26, 06 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Jefferson

who thinks the streets of nyc will be canals in 50 yrs?? i do

Jun 26, 06 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
e

yes, it rains more in volume in nyc than seattle. and yes, the winters are gray in seattle, but the summers are not. spring and fall are a balance of both. in addition, the summers and winters are tolerable in seattle unlike the brutally cold winters and hazy hot and humid summers of the east coast. when i lived there, i never wanted to go outside in either the summer or winter. that can't be fun.

Jun 26, 06 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

hi Jefferson,

I've been stomping my feet about this for a while.

Have you seen the movie yet? Also did you see that parts of DC are underwater today?

Furthermore, a nice old tree tried to take out Dubya......valiant effort, Mr. Tree, but you fell short. Literally. Ah well.

Jun 26, 06 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
hobbitte

Global warming, here it comes....

Jun 27, 06 3:55 am  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

finally got to see it last night... ah the freedom's of being effectively single. i was the only person in the theater who started laughing when gore was talking about living on his family's farm as a kid and he said, "I had a dog here. I had a pony here. I could shoot my rifle here.". there was something about al gore saying "pony" in his al gore voice that i loved. good movie though. i was kinda annoyed that all his graphs had truncated scales, isn't that an edward tufte no-no?

Jun 27, 06 9:38 am  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

But those truncated scales are the perfect set-up for "off the charts!"

"Talking about the weather," is no longer just apologetic idle chatter ... now it has a weightiness, an inescapable "We DID this."

Jun 27, 06 10:22 am  · 
 · 
AP

anything to offer?

Jun 27, 06 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

?

Jun 27, 06 10:31 am  · 
 · 
snooker

The Sun is shining...but I have to work...argh!

Jun 27, 06 11:57 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

i thought the northwest was more similar in weather patterns and climate to the uk than to the northeast because of the weather over the oceans. still, global warming is really kicking shit up over here in nh--it seems like we barely even get snow anymore, which of course leads to manufactured snow for ski resorts, resulting in increased energy usage, resulting in rising temperatures, resulting in less snow, resulting in the need to manufacture snow............

Jun 27, 06 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
A

I love how everyone in the NW always likes to say that it isn't as gray and rainy as people assume. Then whenever I visit - summer, winter, spring or fall - it is always overcast and drizzle. Not saying it always is, but it has been for my visits, which are in the dozens.

Jun 27, 06 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
e

well A you should come now. it was 90 and sunny yesterday, 80 and sunny today, and in the high 70s and sunny for the rest of the week.

Jun 27, 06 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
A

Thanks for the invite e, but that's the same weather I've been seeing here in Minneapolis for the majority of the summer so far. Work is taking me to Texas next and no time for personal trips right now. I'm sure it'll be rain and clouds by the time I do get out to Seattle or Portland.

Jun 27, 06 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
e

heh, well i'll hope that won't be the case for you A. funny because i had made several trips to seattle before i moved here. every time i visited it was sunny and warm. my friends made sure i understood that this was not par for the course for the entire year.

Jun 27, 06 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

i just got back from spending two weeks in seattle and the weather was absolutely beautiful for most of my stay...

the first week there was a light rain in the morning almost every day, but the rest of the day was perfect... sunny, breezy and about 70 degrees...

the second week was all 70 degrees and sun...

IMO much preferable to the 95 degrees and 90% humidity that i had to return to here in florida...

i'm ready to move...

Jun 27, 06 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

A and e -

(ha ha, A&E, you're a cable station)

I've had a similar experience to A with regards to Portland. Not as much for Seattle. But I was in Portland for 9 days in December and it was cold and rainy, and I found that to be really miserable. We had similar temperatures at home the whole time but without the rain. To check my theory, every day that it was gorgeous here in the spring, I made sure to check the weather in Portland. Rainy and cool, all the time. I don't think I could handle that.

Speaking of rain, I heard DC is due to get a bunch more of it this week. Yikes.

Jun 27, 06 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
AP

hot and muggy in Jacksonville.

Jun 27, 06 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
scharrera

You can't believe what it says on the weather channel or the paper. Many days here in Seattle start cloudy but by the afternoon it's beautiful. But the paper (NYT) will still say it's cloudy. Oh SNAP! I just let out our secret!

Jun 27, 06 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
e

yep. not uncommon for it to rain at night only to clear by day. now winter solstice a different thing all together. it wasn't the grayness or wetness that was difficult to get used to, it's the winter solsitce. light by 8a and dark by 4p. you are rewarded by the summer where the reverse is true [16hrs of daylight], but damn that lack of daylight in the winter...

Jun 29, 06 2:09 am  · 
 · 
Barrett

I feel like it rains a hell of a lot more in FLA in summer than NYC. FL in the summer you can almost set your watch to the daily 3PM thunder storm

Jun 29, 06 9:16 am  · 
 · 
bRink

Don't let the secret out. The Northeast wishes it was the new Northwest. ;)

Jun 30, 06 1:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: