Archinect
anchor

autocad/ 3dstudio import question

allcaps

Fellas and Ladies,

Importing into 3dstudio from autocad (exporting a 3ds from autocad). I have a lot of individual panes of glass which need to individual objects once imported into 3dstudio. They are all on one layer in autocad, and show up as one object in 3dstudio. Is there anyway to get them into 3dstudio without them being grouped like this, but instead individual pieces.

Thanks. Back rubs are on me next time.

Jul 15, 04 11:26 am
allcaps

I mean besides putting each object on its own layer... or is there a slick way to put objects on their own layer in autocad, without doing it manually?

Jul 15, 04 11:27 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

you could link the file to 3dS and choose by color or by object

Jul 15, 04 11:31 am  · 
 · 
cyphonics

Yeah, what mau said might work but you could also try the following if you only want the glass as individual objects and not every layer in the scene:

Importing the glass layer into 3ds as a separate file, but select the "individual objects" option (or whatever its called... I dont have 3dsmax open) in the import screen. They should import into the scene at the original coordinates.

Also, you can just select the glass group and then modify-> edit by vertex subobject -> and select each piece of glass and press the "detach" button... it'll ask you to name the new object each time.

I apologize if the directions are a little innaccurate, but I don't have 3dsmax in front of me.

Jul 15, 04 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
btom

Just uncheck the "Combine objects by layer" and 3ds will import your glass layer into individual pieces.

Jul 15, 04 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
allcaps

Thanks guys. Got it to work.

Cheers.

Jul 15, 04 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: