Archinect
anchor

This is why I became an architect....

this_guy

I am a newbie to the world of office life. Still a student, working on an optional co-op this summer, it has occurred to me that the world of the architect isn't filled with magnificent concept models and beautifully rendered perspectives. The tedium of working in a small, hometown office is beginning to wear me thin. I feel I am losing the passion for my work that keeps me excited and ambitious in school. I am in dire need of inspiration. What I ask of you guys is:

Was there ever a point in your career that you said to yourself, “this is why I became an architect.”

It doesn't have to be glorious, simply justification of time well spent.....
Thanks-

Jun 21, 06 8:58 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

everyday sonny, everday....

Jun 21, 06 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

today i drew two beautiful details. not that it's hot modern stuff but hey i figured some things out and made it work.

oh, the satisfaction !!

and i quit in nine days to begin anew ..

Jun 21, 06 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

well, i don't know that i've had an epiphany, but i do feel generally satisfied lately... being an architect has allowed me to start my own office - recently had a baby, work from home, and my husband is also at home building an addition to our house, which is pretty great when I think about the alternatives. of course, the work i'm doing right at this moment consists of drafting for a landscape architect (circles and squares, circles and squares) and doing an 88 sq.ft. addition, I kid you not, but that's the kind of thing you have to do to try and survive on your own.
i digress - what i should be saying is that i often find myself working all night on something - maybe it's a paying job, or addition to our house, or a piece of furniture... and basically there's nothing else that I do so automatically and obsessively. I lie awake at night thinking about paint colors, tile, funiture layouts - can't say it's incredibly rewarding, but it does seem to fit with the way my brain works, if that makes any sense... I tried writing recently, well, over the course of a couple of years I started a novel, took a class, joined a writing group, and it was pure torture. So much more difficult to get myself to do what I do naturally with architecture - so I guess that confirmed that I've chosen something that at least comes close to satisfying some of my skills and desires.

Jun 21, 06 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

and i love seeing stuff built - i love jobsites - i actually love working with contractors, unless they're totally insane... buildings are just cool. even the ones that turn out ugly in the end are interesting while they're going up.

Jun 21, 06 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
bollocks

few months?

Jun 21, 06 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

4 years...still not built

Jun 22, 06 12:12 am  · 
 · 
mdler

i (heart) LADBS

· 
Becker

don't nitpick bollocks.

For me (also a student working and facing the same situation) its less the sense of the work that i am doing, but more the way that architecture has helped me to see and understand the world. sounds corny, but true.

· 
dibster

I'm also a student but have been lucky enough to work on a few Real life projects and i must say that the world out there is absolutely nothing like the one in school.I know of many who get disillusioned too.

I personally find joy in architecture itself. The thinking behind doing all these little details, the joy of figuring out how to comply with the clients' brief,regulations and everything else and come up with a decent design, the joy of thinking and discovering how to design.

And i agree with what mhollenstein said.. i see the world differently now.. thanks to architecture.

Jun 22, 06 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
cf

The Department of Standardizational Architecturalized Standards welcomes those new Standardizers who have reached the milestone of Standardizational Influence with merit. As one of the rightfully selected by the standardized process that is our own self appointed standard as Architecturalizationers, you have garnered the power and not only that but the authority, control, and governance that will bring worldwide adherence to the hierarchy that is our own standardizational influence, by will. This is a superb time in the development of the Standard as our fore standard bearers have so rightfully and respectfully guided our fellow Standardizers into this new era world standard as we so powerfully deserve. Please take a moment and realize the commitment our fore standard bearers willed onto themselves with such greatness and provide your rightful leadership to your area AIA president with utmost dedication to chairing a committee in the development and implementation of the Standard. We accept and acknowledge you!!! Stand in the power of your self appointment, by Will!!!!

Jun 22, 06 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
AP

my anecdote from this week:

Taking advantage of an opportunity to challange a client.

...having a client that is uncomfortable throughout the process, only to be grateful in the end because you truly understood the essence of their insitution, and provided them an outcome that exceeded their expectations and widened their imagination.

It takes perseverance to go through a process such as this - where the client is not comfortable. If you believe in what you are doing, and believe that you are serving the client's best and most essential interests, then this path can be very rewarding.

Our firm completed CA on one such project shortly after I started here. It wasn't until the institution (Health / Wellness /Spa / Physical Therapy facility) was open and functioning for a month that the client realized what the architecture did for them. They met 80% of their 1 year goal that first month (1 year goal - 1500 members. After first month, 1200 members).

Jun 22, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i never say that. my job is amazing. sucks to be you guys!

Jun 23, 06 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

I think most people are unhappy once they experience working in an office in comparison to their experience at school. I was in the same situation a number of years ago and the greatest dissatisfaction was with those who did not have a varied frame of reference for architecture. Those "who just went into architecture school" and started working hated the job at the firm or greatly disliked it. Those who were involved with other fields prior ( we had an ex-aeronautical engineer and an ex-physicist) really loved it. They had a different take on architecture and the work that was coming out of the firm.
Since I came from an architecture background, I sided with those who disliked working there.
Since then, I've had different experiences from furniture design to web design to construction, so that now, I understand the mundane and tedious task differently, or am at least willing to overlook them.

My advice is that after this co-op experience, put yourself in a different situation or experience something else, not directly related to architecture. Normally working at a smaller scale helps greatly. May be glass blowing or welding.

Make your work or study of architecture as multi-disciplined as possible, this will change your perspective and will be enough to inspire you.

Jun 23, 06 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
alexan

im sure everyone here can at least somewhat identify with the disenchantment of the transition from academia to the workplace.

but seriously,
you must consider that in school the farthest your design babies will get you is a pat on the back.
have you ever thought about the process that goes into even the most mundane?

Jun 23, 06 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

There's a project going up near my current office, that I worked on at a former office. It's the sort of project that will (hopefully!) bring a new life to a building that was having some big problems, so it's something the neighborhood is looking forward to. The first time I saw the construction signs and knew it was finally going to get done, I got that feeling.

Jun 23, 06 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

disappointingly, the Academy leaves too many students with an inappropriate or incomplete view of the reality of professional practice ... for whatever reason, too many schools of architecture cultivate this notion that everybody there can live their lives as the next Gehry or Meier and that life will begin immediately upon graduation. while that's an appealing notion, it has little, or no, basis in the real world.

the reality is that getting a building built -- even a bad building -- is hard, detailed work ... most of which is not the sort of elevated design activity one grows accustomed to in school.

i believe the best antidote to this gap between academia and practice is working in design firms and in construction every possible summer between your high school graduation and receipt of your architectural degree. this will help you establish a more balanced view of what's it like to actually practice ... if you find reality not to your liking, at least you'll know long before the completion of your academic program.

Jun 24, 06 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

reality. isnt that what tv is for???

Jun 24, 06 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
skizzil26

My Hero ;- )

Mike Brady

Jun 25, 06 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
skizzil26
http://www.tvland.com/shows/brady_bunch/characters/char2.jhtml

I screwed up the code

Jun 25, 06 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
bubpip

i did expect a lot to happen when i was a student. by now, i've realized reality of the profession. it does'nt work this way for architects alone.. for most professions, the beginning days are the same.
jdesp has a good suggestion there. i went into another creative field for sometime than jumping into architecture directly after undergrad. its given me a better perspective and more love for the field.
passion is not permanent.

Jun 26, 06 10:22 am  · 
 · 
nonarchitect

School was more stifling to me as "working life". I didn't enter the profession thinking I want to be an architect, I just thought at the time i wanted to learn abt. architecture. Now I have found a reason to be an architect; for all the social caches you get at bars and parties ! I now do architecture with my left hand and fiddling with a million other things with my right ! ( I am right handed...)

Jun 30, 06 10:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: