Archinect
anchor

Another thread about housing in NY

aesculanus

So I'm making a final decision today, signing the papers.

I got a nice little studio with exposed brick wall and loft on the upper west side, right on 103 and broadway.

the place is $1000, with an $1800 broker fee. god damn ass-rapers.

I've spent almost a week searching full-time, and this is about the best i've come up with. seem like a good deal?

got pictures at http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/fee/172333303.html

it's a first floor walk up. only concern is that light only shines through one window, but.... i just haven't been able to find anything else that even compares at this price point and location.

Anything better on columbia's off campus housing listings?

Jun 20, 06 12:00 pm
Living in Gin

Looks like a pretty cool little pad. $1000 isn't bad for that area. You might be able to find a one-bedroom for around that much in Washington Heights or Inwood, but you'd have a longer commute and not be in as nice of a neighborhood.

Be sure to check out the Cathedral of St. John the Divine at 113th and Amsterdam (I'm still a member there even though I now live in Chicago), and the Hungarian pastry shop across the street.

Jun 20, 06 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Why do people think exposed brick is a positive thing? I don't get it. Have you ever lived with it? Is it sealed?

Jun 20, 06 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

no brainer is right...'cept you better not have SAD

of course that applies to any location north of the 30th parallel

Jun 20, 06 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Jun 20, 06 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

my dad was born in that etching

no, serious...he was born in lowell MA

Jun 21, 06 9:49 am  · 
 · 
nerd

$1000 for a studio on the upper west side is a great deal. enjoy. i've been watching a close friend of mine go through this whole apt-hunting ordeal recently and i must say new york is a whole new ballgame compared to the cities i've lived in elsewhere. she and her friend found a decent 2 bedroom in park slope for around $2100.

Jun 21, 06 10:40 am  · 
 · 
nerd

oh, but the place my friend found was through craigslist and by owner so there was no broker fee at least.

Jun 21, 06 10:41 am  · 
 · 
adrineaa

does anyone know anything about the Columbia University apartments. I got one bedroom in a three bed apartment, but am not in NY yet and i have to let them know by Friday if I will take it?

Jun 21, 06 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

That's funny, my friend just signed the lease to that place. You might want to call the broker.

Jun 21, 06 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Come to think of it, he's moving in tomorrow.

Jun 21, 06 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

KIDDING. Great deal. Snag it.

Jun 21, 06 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

school getting closer... still no word on housing application/approval. i'm contemplating going there late July with the intent of moving in two weeks later. am i insane, or is this pretty typical for apt. hunting in NYC?

by and chance does anyone have a room they want to rent out?

Jul 8, 06 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

And I tougth Chicago was expensive....

Jul 10, 06 3:29 am  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

just got my university grad housing assignment today... 1.5 blocks away from avery. kind of a small room, though (in a 2br apartment). does anyone know if you pay less for the smaller room, or am i getting raped, paying equal $$ to the person with the bigger room?

Jul 11, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

all-

bringin this thread back up cause of a wake up call i received this
morning...my landlord is renovating our apartment into a store
sometime in the next two months. but there may be a four bedroom
place that he has available...for us to move to...sadly we only have
three people.

so two questions:
1. anyone looking for a place at the beginnin of the new year?
2. has anyone heard of any aparments opening up that sounded
cool, but you didn't need to move? (prolly, surface anyone?)

thanks

Dec 11, 06 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
tc79

larslarson
what's the story on the 4br?

Dec 11, 06 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
emilyrides

A thousand bucks for any apartment any where in Manhattan is a steal. The fact that it's at 103 makes it a really good steal. Sure, that's a pretty sterile neighborhood, but it's safe and fairly convenient to get most places in the city. A $1000 is about the cutoff for starting to move into sketchy neighborhoods, if you want to pay less than than, you'll end up with either a pile of roomates or getting mugged every 90days.

The whole broker's fee thing is such a racket. I've never paid a broker's fee, U just refuse on principal, because the brokers do nothing. They always show you apartments that don't fit your criteria, but apartments they get the biggest commission on renting.

All the best NYC apartments are hand=me-downs. Basically a friend, or a friend of a friend is moving and puts out the word they have a great apartment they're leaving, and you go right to the landlord and bypass all that other bs. That's another reason that you never see the best spots in real estate ads, they just go from friend to friend in perpetuity.

Dec 12, 06 12:24 am  · 
 · 
miro.m

You should consider Roosevelt Island. Look into Manhattan Park apartments. I share a pretty good size 3 bedroom apt right on the river facing Manhattan for $815 a month (around $2400 split) . It's a luxury doorman building ([4] 22-story buildings actually) with gym, pool, laundry, rooftop terrace, and dry cleaner. It's a beautiful 5 minute walk on the boardwalk by the river to the F train which takes you straight to Midtown at Rockefeller Center, Bryant Park and down 6th avenue. Or if you're feeling adventurous, you can ride the tram by the queensboro across to 62nd st and 2nd av and hop on the green line.

By the way- this was not a hand me down apartment. It was straight up walking into the management/ rental office and picking an apartment that fit our needs/ budget. It's quite a steal.

Dec 12, 06 2:08 am  · 
 · 
emilyrides

Yeah, Roosevelt Island is very nice, but the reason the rent is less expensive than other places in NYC is because it's isolated. Specifically, if you want something that's not on the island, you NEED to take the subway or the tram, which isn't always convenient. That would drive me crazy, because I walk and bike all over the place, but other than that, Roosevelt island is a good inexpensive alternative. It's also practically crime free which is nice.

Dec 12, 06 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: