Archinect
anchor

relocating for a job

x-jla

What would you do?  I may have a job in another city.  Nothing certain yet, but a friend of mine works there and I think I have a really good shot.  Since he recomended me, I don't want to take up too much of their time since it may reflect poorly on him if I seem flakey about relocating.  I want to know if I am 100% willing to make the move before I ask for an interview.  I have a family and my wife has a good job in my current city so relocating is a bit difficult.  I have been doing little freelance projects here and there and I know that If I keep at it my business may pick up.  This other job seems really cool though.  It's a new firm with just 3 employees, but an impressive number of projects that range from master plans to furniture.  The salary is roughly 32-45k.  Will it look bad on him if I apply before I am 100% certain that I am willing to make the move?  My wife is an lawyer, and will have to re-take the bar if we move.  She is willing to move if I decide to go, but I will need to go first and probably pay for 2 places for several months.  The current city I live in has very few opportunities, but I am getting small landscape design projects and remodels on my own.  Do I keep up my freelance work or move for a job?  I really don't want to move, but I don't want to regret passing up this opportunity.  I also don't want to regret giving up my freelance business.  What to do......           

Mar 7, 12 1:32 pm
geezertect

Your wife has a good job, you have the starting of your own practice, you don't really want to move, and the pay of the new job is modest to say the least.  You sound dubious and I don't blame you.  Doesn't sound like a worthwhile gamble to me.

Mar 7, 12 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
BrianYamagata

I agree with geezer. Keep cranking at your business. Make sure you get into social networking and everything else to help promote your work. Transform it from freelance to an established business. Get on Google Maps. The number of people that find businesses by zooming into an area, and searching something like "architect" or "designer" is astonishing. Even Youtube is a viable way to endorse your venture.

You have a family already established in your current location. Your wife has a steady job as a Lawyer, who I would imagine should be making enough money to sustain you all while you get your business rolling. The only issue is that it seems like you are looking for more! We are all very ambitious people; we wouldn't have gotten into this field if we weren't. I suggest taking whatever steps you can to satiate your needs as a designer while making it work at your current location. 

Everyone dreams of being their own boss! Take your work to the next level and gradually you'll feel more confident in your decision. It'll take time to get any business public, but I'm sure it'll be worth it! Best of luck in whichever decision you make!

Mar 7, 12 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

yeah i agree, it doesnt sound like you are too crazy about the idea of relocating, and it doesnt sound like it is a dream opportunity, which, with a family of my own, would be the only reason to consider relocating

plus, if you do relocate, then you have to go through it all again with your wife switching jobs as well.  Will the salary you get cover things while she re-takes the bar, and goes through a job search?

Mar 8, 12 11:13 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Thanks for the advice guys! 

Mar 8, 12 11:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: