Archinect
anchor

Is Architecture worth it?

Znaika

Questions to you all out there:

Is Architecture worth it? The education and the work afterwards?

What are the payoffs? What are the downfalls? 

I appreciate all feedback. Btw, I am a starting out architecture student. 

Mar 6, 12 8:50 pm
go do it

no it is not move to canada and be an electrician 

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/03/05/income-gap-oilsands-fort-mcmurray_n_1321666.html?ref=canada-business

Mar 6, 12 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
Znaika

Ha ha! But really....

I have been debating going into Transportation Design. How does that sound for an alternative? Thank you for the feedback! 

Mar 6, 12 9:18 pm  · 
 · 

Of course architecture is worth it.  Architects are quite cheap (sometimes practically free) and often add some good value to projects which helps their sale value.  

Definitely hire an architect, yo!

Mar 7, 12 8:49 am  · 
 · 

desna, I suggest you search these forums, we have debated this topic at length in the past.  You will find a wide range of opinions, from "do it, it's great" to "run for the hills, keep away" and everything in between.

Network and meet local architects in your area and have face to face meetings with them, ask what their experiences have been.  Call them up on the phone, introduce yourself and state why you are calling.  Some will meet with you, others will not, do not take it personally if they don't.

Also, try to find some recent grads who graduated within the last three years and inquire how are they doing?  What are they doing?  How much are they doing it for?  If you have student loans, your starting pay is a factor, not to mention paying rent.

The career path to becoming an architect is an arduous one which takes allot of time and money.   I think it is very smart and grounded of you to ask this question now and do your homework in this area, not just in the classroom.

Mar 7, 12 10:57 am  · 
 · 
theids

Take a look at this video and I don't think you will have any doubts that architecture is worth it: 

http://youtu.be/6TnT2lSLHxo

Mar 7, 12 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Sorry, theids, I still have doubts.  Living vicariously through another architect's building done 45 years ago isn't sufficient for me.  Just my opinon.

Mar 7, 12 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
theids

It is supposed to be meant for inspiration. Obviously you need to carve your own path out in life. ;-)

Mar 7, 12 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Znaika

Thank you all for the responses that you guys put here. I would like to especially thank Mr. Carlson for his thorough feedback. 

Mar 8, 12 1:26 am  · 
 · 
FederallyFunded

If you enjoy it, it's definitely worth it......!

Mar 8, 12 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
warchs

Pursue what your heart tells you to.

In any profession, especially in architecture, your patience really runs thin. What with long hours and harsh criticism, it's an ongoing battle and it doesn't stop when you graduate.

when your patience runs thin, the passion you have is going to be the cushion that you fall on that makes you wanna keep on going.  If the passions not there however, i would advise you to step back and chose another career path.

Mar 8, 12 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Don't do it if you are one that needs to have instant gratification,  the profession requires dedication, lots of up and downs,  success typically comes later in your career ( that's why most don't hit their stride til their 50's, 60's.... to late for many ).

I'm 50 and love going to work everyday and enjoy most everything about the stuff I do everyday.  Lot's of folks I know hate what they do but can't leave as they fear the loss of the lifestyle they've attained through a job they hate.  Live within your means and work for yourself, emotionally its tough but you'll have a greater sense of accomplishment and the autonomy that most architects find satisfying.

Don't go into a great deal of debt over it either.... your only as good as your last project, no one has asked where I went to school in twenty -five years ( my first job interview ).  after that they want to know where I worked last, not the school I attended, not meant to be a slam against expensive "name" schools just the cost of education.

Mar 8, 12 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
whyARCH?

@whistler

Do you think that in order to get into a top firm for your resume, you need a top school? I feel either way it comes down to the school. I really wish it didn't as I will be attending an average program.

Mar 8, 12 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

whyARCH - "top schools" are only useful if you plan on teaching.  other than that it doesn't matter.

Mar 8, 12 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Is there a correlation between getting a job "in a top firm" and being a good architect??? I would say not necessarily so.  If you work in top firm you do get exposure to better than average projects ... but you'll be fetching coffee for the folks actually involved on the projects, and won't be paid very well and went to an expensive school netting you a big, big student loan, just surmising!  I worked in a "top firm" for three months then realized I wasn't getting the exposure to the meat of the projects, getting paid poorly and incurring more debt and didn't see it improving for years, really.  

I left because the job market was good and took a job in a small 5 person office and immediately ( this was 6 months after graduating ) and was handed the design of a recreation / community center, and then moved on to a townhouse project and then two other community / civic projects in the first 2-3 years .. oh and did I mention I was the lead architect and had one other more experienced Architect and my boss helping me with detailing and specs.... good times!  They gave me a very long leash and I had a ton of support from others in the office. I had more experience under my belt on decent projects ( nothing that would be magazine grade, but they got better each time out and I learned a f___king ton!) 

Paid off student loan in short order, wrote my exams, got registered left job and started my own practice ( over a five yr time span ) .....  good times still!

My point is that the good school is awesome but only in certain circumstances and not necessarily the only trajectory for young architects.  Each path forces you down a road you may or may not want to be burdened with .... me I wanted to be shackled to my skis and bike with a healthy balanced life.  Not shackled to a student loan when I am 50!

Mar 8, 12 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

this guy might help  some

Mar 8, 12 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
whyARCH?

Good to know because I do not plan on teaching.

Mar 10, 12 1:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: