Archinect
anchor

Jack of all Trades, Master of None

soulikeit

I've got a conundrum for you people out there. this thing has been bothering me for quite a while so i thought i should pose it to you guys. I've recently come up with this impression that architects are good in design, art, math, engineering, and speaking etc. but they are not exceptionally gifted in one area.

ie. the most mathematically inclined architect will not have math talent/skills that could better that of a mathematician. or artists have better visual art skills&techniques than architects.

Jun 17, 06 8:09 am
momentum

we are Master Synthesizors...

Jun 17, 06 8:44 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

let's see if i can remember this correctly...

an architect knows less and less about more and more until they know nothing about everything.

an engineer knows more and more about less and less until they kow everything about nothing.

Jun 17, 06 10:14 am  · 
 · 
moratto

we are the masters of AutoCAD

Jun 17, 06 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore
Jun 17, 06 10:36 am  · 
 · 
momentum

what about being masters of architecture? aren't some of us exceptionally gifted in that?

Jun 17, 06 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

momentum, most apparently you haven't encountered /interacted with the creator of this thread before (.i.e Soulikeit)

Jun 17, 06 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

i.e. Per

Jun 17, 06 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

an expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less, until eventually he knows everything about nothing

Jun 17, 06 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

2+2=5

Jun 17, 06 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

nevermore & FOG Lite,

warning taken and processed.

thanks

Jun 17, 06 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

thats just because of what architecture is... its a border discipline.

Jun 17, 06 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
gracie

media designers are the same...

collaboration is so important when dealing with the intersection of technology, design, programming...

Jun 17, 06 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Architecture exists at the intersection of two orbiting stars: the bright star of science and the dark star of philosophy.

Paraphrased from Dan Hoffman. And it's not exactly appropriate here, but I meant to post this on some other thread recently, the one about who says who architecture is, but I never got around to it.

As jeffe said above, I know almost nothing about a whole lot.

Jun 18, 06 12:21 am  · 
 · 
bRink

i prefer: jack of all trades, master of fun!

well its more interesting than most jobs, at least theres more going on day to day...

Jun 18, 06 12:54 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

I'm with bRink ^^ .. :)

Jun 18, 06 1:20 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

for my friends from india....this is one thing an old man in Haryana once told me...(a bit vulgur, bun very funny)

"Where there is no fun
Teri bahen di lund"

Im trying to make this my motto in life...

Jun 18, 06 3:56 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

well, that sounds about right. i've always been good at everything, but not great at anything. except architecture. in that field, i'm a genius.

Jun 18, 06 3:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: