Archinect
anchor

The Ethics of Online Portfolios

tralala

So, I'm in the middle of constructing my first post grad school website. I've seen loads of student portfolios and plenty of firm sites, but what about those of us in between those stages? What have those of you out of school, but still not working for yourself included on your websites?

Since I haven't done a lot of freelance work and I'm not running my own firm, anything post school is drawings and photos of work I have done for current and past employers. Somehow, it seems a little trickier when I'm publishing it for the rest of the world to see, rather than just using it as part of a conversation in an interview.

Is it enough to have a disclaimer or a description of my role in the work, i.e. "Millwork design for ______ Designer"? What about "Exterior details and construction management for _________ Architects"? Is there an issue with getting client permission or permission from the firm?

Am I just overthinking this?

Jun 16, 06 9:10 am
Josh Emig

I don't think you're overthinking it. Just make the necessary caveats. Sometimes it's necessary to include work that you didn't do in order to present the project as a whole. Do try to limit those things to what is absolutely necessary. I usually include one whole building rendering or model pic, even if I didn't do the rendering or build the model. I use attributions like "Rendering by .....", "Model by ...." And then I make it clear in the text exactly what my role was in the project. I don't think employers expect young people to have huge roles, but it is helpful to know exactly what you did contribute.

What you expose to the world is a judgment call. Don't publish a design that has not been cleared for public consumption. I think that once a project is published or built or otherwise released to the public, however, all's fair.

Jun 16, 06 9:21 am  · 
 · 
tralala

Thanks for the input, Public. That's basically what I was thinking. I've done a lot of high end residential and furniture design, so maybe I'll do something like fade out the portions of the projects that I didn't do, so that it's clear that I'm not taking full credit.

Jun 16, 06 11:17 am  · 
 · 
raj

i remember studying AIA ethics in college...deo they still teach ethics in pro practice classes??
i found this website that dictates exactly what a person is supposed to do in this situation:

aia guidelines for credit

enjoy!

Jun 16, 06 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: