Archinect
anchor

stupid shit you've seen built

beatmeofficer

this weekend i installed a custom concrete countertop and fireplace surround (side biz) at a 4000 sqr. foot home worth more than a million dollars.

but hmmm...where's the outside faucet? well, there's only one for the entire exterior, and its suspended at ground level above the staircase to the basement, hanging completely inaccessible without a stepladder and dripping water down a sliding door into a concrete basin with no drain! quality.

Jul 14, 04 7:22 pm
mdler

glass skylights at Guggenheim Bilbao. Occur where multiple curved masses converge. There is no way to clean them, and they get covered in bird shit / trash / etc.

Jul 14, 04 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
mbr

Interesting observation about Bilbao. Did you see that? I've always loved his skylights at interstections, but that's a pretty valid point.

They gotta find a good way to keep those damn pigeons away!

Jul 15, 04 8:19 am  · 
 · 
snarkitect

Second 'floor' consisting of 3/8" sheets of unfastened plywood and supported by small, hole-riddled L-brackets (the kind prefab shelving systems are made out of). Oh, and on one's way up to the "second floor," there's a 1' deep I-beam right above the staircase at about 4' above the "second floor" level. After one inevitably hits one's head on it, there's a sign about ten feet from the top of the landing that says "Watch out!"

Jul 15, 04 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
archit84

yeah you shouldn't have to put signs in buildings to keep people from hitting their heads.
how bout fog's M Park pavilion with meandering path, i admit i haven't been in it yet but it is impossible to even look in that direction on a sunny day. The glare coming off the metal is just crazy. I have yet to hear anyone say a possitive thing bout it. i hope someone likes it.

Jul 15, 04 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
archit84

i didn't mean to call his building stupid though, sorry

Jul 15, 04 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

Those London villagers! The clear spherical pods are obviously a rip off from a popular American import.

http://masala-pictures.djmasala.com/david.htm

Jul 15, 04 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

hey bots, wasn't it micheal jackson who said 'david blain your magic is real and i believe in you' when he thought he won an award for artist of the millenium? enjoy the island, which is really not your own because you are australian.

bye bye

Jul 15, 04 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
PostDepot

a very wealthy client wanted a 1000 sq/ft art studio for a 4 years old son. because toddler was a 'really good artist.'

Jul 17, 04 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

a 4-year-old artist? my kid could paint that !!

Jun 6, 10 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

Is this now a thread on stupid things rich people spend money on? Because that could be endless....

Jun 6, 10 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

FRaC - we discussed this over 2 years ago!

Jun 6, 10 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

If you go to Northern Minnesota to the Gas Station Frank Lloyd Wright designed go upstairs to the Mens Bathroom and check out the Urinal. There is a column (W)right in front of it. I guess Frank didn't pee standing up, and was morally opposed to people who did so.

Jun 7, 10 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

You should see the bathroom in the Guggenheim Rotunda snook!

Jun 7, 10 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/artifice/2499526310/in/set-72157605105516093/]oh...i have one for this thread.
lift opening mid-floor[/url]

Jun 8, 10 3:58 am  · 
 · 
pfff
Jun 8, 10 3:59 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

there's always this classic:

This page at skyscraper.com has a whole page of good ones:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164284

Jun 8, 10 9:24 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

NOAA has this classic up:

Jun 8, 10 9:34 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

that's not an actual photo, is it? the article talks about scale issues and potential for big screwups

Jun 8, 10 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

No, highway lanes a minimum 15' feet wide.

Unless those construction workers are super fat and tall.

Jun 8, 10 10:15 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

p2an's image and flickr caption:

people like to accuse architects of being complete fuckwits, well sometimes they are. a lift in student housing opening mid-floor.

maybe the 'fuckwit architect' wanted that bulletin board accessible to everyone! come on, people, be sensitive to the user's needs!

Jun 8, 10 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

the first image (the silly driveway grade) is really. The bridge is a photoshop image, as far as I know. I think it was put together as a joke by the engineers working on some bridge in Illinois.

Jun 8, 10 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: