Archinect
anchor

Rebuilding Library

bmyrum

Hey ya'll,

Been a long time since I posted. Hurricane Katrina forced me to leave NOLA...thank god though got a good job in Dallas and really liking it.

I am looking to rebuild my library of books. Focusing on things that are very useful. I ahd started aquiring books on housing and green design. If you had to rebuild a refrence library where would you start? Focusing on books on details, construction, sustainable building, and materials for the ARE. I have a big stack of study book for specific tests from a friend, so i am looking for books that would be useful on my desk for years.

I have the following:
Building Construction Illustrated by Ching
Architect's Studio Companion
Handbook of professional practice-student edition (survived the storm cause it was on the top shelf collecting dust)

any ideas?

also anything on theater design and construction?

Jun 13, 06 9:33 am
A

Umm, the atlas

Jun 13, 06 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

i don't like the atlas... 10x10 is a much better coffee table arch book, it has more and bigger pictures.

Jun 13, 06 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
outed

anything from the 'construction manual' series that detail magazine/birkhauser publishes:

glass construction manual
roofing construction manual
masonry construction manual

are the best of the lot

they also have ones on facades, concrete, steel, wood, etc.

as a feel good picture book, there is one simply called 'brick' which spans all over the globe and makes you wonder why anyone wouldn't want to work with brick...

Jun 14, 06 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

transmaterial by brownell
>not very detail informative but provides a good overview of new and different building materials

Jun 14, 06 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

When you say "theatre design and construction" do you mean the buildings? Or theatrical set design and construction?

Jun 15, 06 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
tc79

For theater design and construction, and if you can find and/or afford them, get George Izenour's books on Theater Design and Theater Technology (and any thing else he wrote, for that matter).

Mr. Izenour is/was the foremost authority on theater acousctics and design.

Jun 15, 06 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
bmyrum

theater buildings, cinemas, concert halls etc....I will look up Izenour's books. that's what I am looking for. I am not looking so much for happy picture books as I am for actual refrence books.

like should I get
MEEB?
Drawing Standards?
etc.

Jun 17, 06 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: