Archinect
anchor

fresh graduate salary china

pjpf

I am a  fresh graduate architect, and I am considering to move to Shanghai or Beijing. I am receiving some offers from there, and would like to know what the normal salary for a fresh graduate is in China, as I am receiving offers very low from 2000-5000 rmb, and seems quite low, and dont know if i could live on that there.

Mar 4, 12 1:23 pm
leeben

That is about average. The cost of living in China is low and I assume you have no working experience? If you do then you can negotiate the number up.

Mar 4, 12 2:59 pm  · 
 · 

The biggest factor will be the size/type of company. Small, local firms will likely pay around 4000-8000 rmb/month for fresh graduates, regardless of whether they're foreigners or locals. Large, international companies can take on bigger projects, make more money, and afford to pay higher salaries, generally from 10,000-15,000 for fresh graduates. With a few years experience, double those numbers. 

Shortly after moving to China I asked a recruiter what salary range to expect - he told me "anywhere from 4000 - 40,000" rmb per month. 

Mar 5, 12 1:07 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

It's much easier to live in Beijing on 5000rmb a month over Shanghai but I can guarantee you'd have a rough commute living around 4th or 5th ring in "affordable" housing. For Beijing, living a semi-western lifestyle on 100rmb a day is entirely possible.

Mar 5, 12 2:00 am  · 
 · 

yeah, I should say my stats are based mainly on Shanghai numbers. Feel free to email me if you have any specific questions about moving/living/working in Shanghai.

Mar 5, 12 2:04 am  · 
 · 
junihaoni

i have my bachelors degree and get paid rmb 6000 in a firm in shanghai.

Mar 9, 12 2:13 am  · 
 · 
leaves

Dear Evan. I'm interested to work in Shanghai, but have no luck so far. I had one year experience in Australia and one in Singapore. And how crucial is mandarin proficiency to work in China? Many thanks.

Apr 9, 12 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
bliu07

I interned in Shanghai as an undergraduate rising junior and received 2000 RMB a month; the co workers I talked to made about 4000-8000 a month, plus yearly bonuses. 

an ad via ants, I think mandarin proficiency is a plus, but I've met many international architects who do speak any Chinese and do fine. 

Apr 10, 12 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Assuming that you will be applying to foreign-owned offices the majority of conversation from the top will be in English. The most important part is your portfolio, you have to distinguish why they should hire you (and pay you more) over a local.    

祝你好運! (Good Luck)

Apr 11, 12 1:05 am  · 
 · 

Hi bliu, thanks for the response. I have applied a few but no luck, so I thought probably I should start with a Mandarin course in Shanghai.

Hi LITS, thanks for the response. normally I look for job ads on ABBS, and its common where mandarin language is required and the resume is to be bi-lingual. 

Apr 11, 12 4:46 am  · 
 · 
ls004

Beijing and Shanghai are two quite different cities, although they are both very open and welcoming global perspectives.

In Beijing you can find more traditional Chinese characteristics not only in the buildings but through conversations with local people. People in Beijing, in my opinion, are very happy to know about western perspectives, mean while they also have some reservation of the traditional things.

People in Shanghai are super friendly westerners. But they kind of don't like interacting with people from other parts of China.

Life in both cities will be very convenient. And since China has increasing demand for international human resources, working in China will be good experience.  

Apr 11, 12 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
QianQian

From my experience, top level design directors and senior associates are exempt from speaking Mandarin, as firms like to have Western design leaders. However, because even the international firms in China are still primarily made up of Chinese designers, the junior level staff generally do need to have Mandarin proficiency.

There are enough expats in China's design firms these days that if you are a fresh grad with no experience and do not speak Chinese, they will pay you very little, similar rate as local new grads. It is however a way to get into the door, as after a year of China experience, you can start to demand a more western salary. If you can't find anything better than a non paid internship in the States, a year of low paid China experience probably isn't so bad.

Jul 5, 12 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
garethcooper9

I can't agree more with QuianQuian. Look at it as a starting point. It will be great experience leading to a great salary very soon.

Jul 6, 12 6:14 am  · 
 · 
ogis

oh I thought there must be a minimum 2 years of related working experience before getting the work permit. do u have your work permit done?

Sep 3, 12 3:18 am  · 
 · 

the "two years of work experience" requirement is pretty easy to get around. For instance, did you "work" as a TA during school, or do any summer internships?

Sep 4, 12 3:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: