Archinect
anchor

magnetic / electric fields & architecture

kiddroboto

Hey all

Does anyone here know of any links or information via web about electric fields / magnetic fields as analogues for architecture (particularily structure?) I'm trying to link electric force fields & strength to tensile / structural strength. But any researched analogy would be helpful. The project isnt particularily scientific, its more conceptual. I know AA DRL did some researcha few years ago on magnetic fields and architecture, but I couldn't find any links on the web.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jun 11, 06 9:27 pm
assbackward

Don't forget the right-hand rule!

Jun 12, 06 1:01 am  · 
 · 
atowle

Im sure a lot of Lebbeus Woods' structures were held up by magnetic fields!? Worth a search on google

Jun 12, 06 7:55 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

This is probably not what you're looking for, but Sanford Kwinter often uses scientific examples to undergird his own architectural writings ... if you search his articles, I'm sure you'll find something on the architectural significance of magnetism, wave particles. His stuff will probably be, as you probaly have surmised, more conceptual than not -- but perhaps it'll lead you on a good path?

Jun 12, 06 8:01 am  · 
 · 

i believe that the NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance) facility at the university of utrecht, which was designed by UN Studio, was designed by using the specific magnetic fields of each lab to generate the form... check it out here...

NMR @ Utrecht

Jun 12, 06 8:33 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Kazuo Shinohara "House under high voltage line"
One Architecture "6 under a tennis court"

Jun 12, 06 8:54 am  · 
 · 
MMatt

Reiser Umemoto's Flux Room is worth a look.

.mm

Jun 12, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
kiddroboto

thanks everyone! I'm going back and forth between the ideas and examples of architecture as an actual dynamic condition versus form generated from certain dynamic conditions.

very helpful links

Jun 13, 06 2:13 am  · 
 · 
trace™

watch Lost

Jun 13, 06 9:17 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i TOTALLY thought this was gonna be about the architectural significance of the magnetic fields' songs

Jun 13, 06 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
kiddroboto

well, it could be. I really like the Magnetic Fields, but never found their songs really "architectural." I'm probably not being creative enough.

Jun 14, 06 2:23 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

Maybe lost has something to offer - have you looked at hatch design for the Dharma initiaive - season 3 to reveal all architectural queries regarding magnetic anomolies.

Jun 15, 06 6:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: