Archinect
anchor

Arch Trip to Utrecht and Antwerp

notone-co

I am off to Utrecht and Antwerp this weekend. I have a good list already of what I should see, but am open to suggestions.

Also what is the best way to find these pieces of architecture?

Jun 9, 06 7:06 pm
strlt_typ

try galinsky.com...i'm getting an error message at the moment though

Jun 9, 06 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

buy this book

Jun 9, 06 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Schroeder House of course, but you probably have that one...

Jun 9, 06 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

gotta go to the university at utrecht!:

besides the educatorium, the restaurant/bb court by .nl architects, wiel arets' library, mecanoo's business school, science bldgs by un studio and neutlings. on and on. some great prefab dormitory structures as well as an absolutely sublime dormitory megastructure.

Jun 9, 06 11:13 pm  · 
 · 

i definitely second steven ward's suggestions at the university...

Jun 12, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 
a-f

I also second Steven's suggestions. It's an incredible collection of buildings on a small surface. The megastructure mentioned is Rudy Uytenhaak's 1001 student rooms:

In Antwerp, there's De Singel (Art & Architecture Museum), Mode Museum (The Fashion Museum), VAi (Flemish Architecture Insitute) + a lot of great fashion shops.

Jun 12, 06 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
AP

don't forget Miralles/collaborator Stadhuis in historic Utrecht.

Jun 12, 06 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

AP I agree about seeing Miralles' stadhuis.

Steven Ward is right about the university (uithof), it's starchitect-fest. The best way to get there is by bicycle (maybe rent at station), there's also a bus going from central station (I think the bus says Uithof).

My tip is 'de oude gracht', this is the main canal in Utrecht. Walking along this canal is always a feast for me. There are several levels of street and beautiful bridges and buildings.

Jun 12, 06 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

Miralles' stadhuis

Jun 12, 06 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

Here's a link to the most interesting pictures tagged 'oude gracht' on flickr.

Jun 12, 06 7:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: