Archinect
anchor

duct sculpting

regalado

looking for some examples (preferably from around the 1960's) of architects who were experimenting with sculpting ducts, or any kind of building/mechanical system manipulation.

Jun 6, 06 2:21 pm

kevin???

not necessarily sculpting, but there was a library by hodgetts & fung in architectural record last month that featured some ducts shooting off at angles... thought that it was a nice detail... hyde park branch library

and of course their is all of the "high tech" stuff like renzo piano & richard rogers stuff from the 70's & 80's (i.e. pompidou, lloyd's, etc)

Jun 6, 06 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

It's not '60's but there's Kansai Airport by Piano.

"The terminal's roof is shaped like an airfoil. This shape is used to promote air circulation through the building: giant air conditioning ducts blow air upwards at one side of the terminal, circulate the air across the curvature of the ceiling, and collect the air through intakes at the other side. Mobiles are suspended in the ticketing hall to take advantage of the flowing air." Wikipedia

Jun 6, 06 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Kevin!

Jun 6, 06 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
theMan

I think you can do that out of foamcore.

*cough*

Jun 6, 06 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
dia
Jun 7, 06 12:14 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Check out Lucien Kroll's Medical School Housing in Leuven/Louvain. I can't find a good interior photo, but there is a lobby-type space which has some freaky ductwork.

His website is a trip:

http://homeusers.brutele.be/kroll/

Jun 7, 06 1:30 am  · 
 · 

nnlnn

Jun 8, 06 10:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: