Archinect
anchor

domain name registry

any suggestions as to what website to use? over the summer i'd like to get a webpage up of school/professional work + resume

these guys maybe: http://www.hostexcellence.com/

i think i'll be using dreamweaver or flash

what is important to consider, how much space i get or email capabilities? anything else?

Jun 4, 06 2:54 pm
kylemiller

after reading the old threads on this topic i realize there is more to it...

can someone explain the process of registering a domain name/ setting up a website / using software to design the website / uploading data? what kind of costs are associated with keeping a website.... assuming i have the software (dreamweaver/flash)?

much thanks.

Jun 4, 06 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I would probably prefer to have more space than worry too much about email capabilities. How many email addresses do you really need? Plus you will rout your email to Outlook or some other program in all likelihood, so that's not usually a big deal.

I had a web site before, got rid of it, and am about to start another one. It is fairly simple:

1) You register the domain name you want. This is the hardest part for me, lol. I just can't decide on a URL that isn't already taken! You can do this through register.com, godaddy.com or others.

2) You decide where you want the site hosted, sign up, pay, and link your URL to that space. I cannot for the life of me come up with the proper language for doing this, but they usually give you step-by-step instructions. Follow them carefully and you shouldn't have any problem.

3) You design your site. You upload it. Dreamweaver allows you to set up your site so that it uploads automatically when you update it, but I prefered to do it the hard way, i.e., design the site, save it back to my computer, and then upload via WS FTP. There are other uploading programs on Macs and such that you can use, but I can't remember their names. These are usually free programs that you can get from Download.com though.

Registering the URL shouldn't cost you more than $10. Hosting cost me about $96 a year, if I remember correctly, and that was for about 500 MBs of space, which was ample.

It all seems a bit complex but the initial set up is usually the most tedious part. Maintenance is not too bad.

Any other questions?

Jun 4, 06 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

expanding on:

2) when you sign up for hosting, they will give you the address of a couple nameservers. go to where you bought the domain name (i.e. godaddy), log in, an enter these in the properties for your site.

also, you have to be careful with hosts. for the most part, you get what you pay for. many resellers offer crazy bandwith amounts for pennies, but don't have anywhere near the capability to supply what they sold. WHT is a good place to research hosts.

Jun 4, 06 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

does it matter where i register my domain? or is the only important thing that i DO register it and the host i work with links everything to the address?

hope that makes sense.

i just want to register my badass site name so no one takes it...

Jun 4, 06 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

does the space i get correspond to the files i upload (ex. a 42 MB pdf) or is there more to it?

Jun 4, 06 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Well now I want to know what your badass site name is. Hurry up and register it so you can tell us. No it doesn't matter who you register it with.

PS. The space you get corresponds to the files you upload. I.e., if you have 500 MBs of space and you upload a 42 MB file, you only have ~458 MB left. Not including how much space your email takes up. You can change your email to download to your computer if you want, though.

Jun 4, 06 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I would register your domain with your hosting company. This way everything is at one place and they'll usually renew it for you (and charge you, but it's better than losing the domain name - there are companies out there waiting for domains to expire, then they snag it, and charge you a ton for it back).

I recommend Media Temple. I know it's been a such a 'designers' hosting service, but I've had good service through them and they aren't that expensive (less than a $100 year, $8/mnth for 24 months).

If you want super cheap, the big one right now is www.1and1.com Tons of options and really cheap. I have a few clients using there service and have found their tech support (in the Philippines) to be a long wait line. Damn cheap, though (starts at $3/mnth).

There are tons out there that are good. Anyplace will easily let you upgrade, should you need more space.

Jun 5, 06 8:20 am  · 
 · 
www.officelive.com

free domain and hosting. get'e, while they're hot.

really, it's free.

no crazy banners either, just discrete "powered by microsoft" logo in the corner.

Jun 5, 06 9:11 am  · 
 · 
not_here

godaddy's pretty cool.
5 gigs for 4 bucks a month or less.
that's what i use. and five gig's is a lot so i generally just host a few sites for my friends too.

Jun 5, 06 9:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: