Archinect
anchor

Architecture of Pain

Nevermore

My friend wants to do his thesis project on an 'Universal Pain relieving centre "

Something like a hospital or sanitorium which will function as a pain relieving therapy centre which will be divided into sections for the alleviation of all kinds of pain
( Physical, mental, emotional ,spiritual etc ).
Therapy as well as actual medical services.

He also wants to incorporate an educational facility, a library etc which would trace and study all the various forms of pain and trauma known to man.
and also a laboratory for the manufacturing/testing etc of pain relieving pharmaceuticals.
an all in one place.

he wants to choose a spot in the middle of any desert as the ideal site for it.

well, I know its a bit vague and idealistic but I was quite intrigued by the topic and am particularly waiting to see the architectural form which he will develop for the centre.

Would be nice to get any thoughts and reflections here.Thanx.

Jun 2, 06 8:56 am
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

You could look, I guess, at Aalto's tuberculosis sanitarium? I don't think it has all the programmatic elements your friend desires. Or perhaps any late 20th c. tech campus may be of inspiration (i.e. Le Corbusier's, James Stirling's or Gabetti's and Isola's work for the Olivetti corporation).

Just thinking out loud.

Jun 2, 06 10:36 am  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

It seems like the generalized alleviation of pain would require (like aspirin) something that desensitizes or distracts you, which sounds like the opposite of what we often want architecture to do -- heighten the senses & a self-awareness in body/space relationships.

Jun 2, 06 10:49 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

I'd take a look at Herzog & de Meuron's Rehab center for spinal cord and brain injuries in Basel, I went out there last summer, I talked to a couple people who were in there and they said they couldn't think of a better place to recover

Jun 2, 06 10:56 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké
link
Jun 2, 06 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I think Heather is right. Also, the idea that an environment can soothe (i.e. contol or affect) behavior is overdone.

Jun 2, 06 11:23 am  · 
 · 
cf

When someone is in alot of pain, there is very little they notice be that other people or the built environment. Threshold of pain is greatly reduced so that a simple shot of drug into the arm can bring tears for 15 minutes. Bright light, colors, and loud noises can be a hammer to the head. Dark colors can be very soothing or depressing. Vision becomes tunnel vision. Disorientation can be a large factor.
In this condition, people want to be comfortable. This may require soft furniture allowing for odd sitting and laying positions. Allow for the possibility of drooling and urination on this furniture. People in pain may scream/moan/etc.
Ultimately it is Human Compassion that counts, second, the furniture, third...

Jun 2, 06 11:46 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

thanx guys so far.

My same friend told me an interesting bit of trivia which I never knew.
There's actually an unit to measure pain.
Its called "doull'.

Jun 2, 06 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

sorry ,that's 'DOL'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dol

Jun 2, 06 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

read the Body In Pain by Elaine Scarry fascinating book, I have read it twice. i have a lot of expertise in the area of pain. she goes into religion, torture and war so this makes a good link to the war thread...

Jun 2, 06 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

the architecture of pain.

Jun 2, 06 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke
Jun 4, 06 11:05 am  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

I think there seems to be a conflict with your friend's poetic/theoretical interest in the idea of pain and a programmatic intent that still needs to recognize itself to be within the dialogue of integrative medicine.

Some people feel that the answer to pain is to maintain wellness. This will fortify the immune system to prevent illness and the pain involved.

There are many pain centers that concentrate largely on the medical Rx of pain but really -- the new model is integrative wellness, something my sister addresses in her work as a physician. We went to an AIA seminar together a few years ago on designing wellness centers. Being the only doctor at the seminar, the architects descended on my sister with so many questions ...

So, one example to check out is the Cancer Treatment Centers of America - holistic centers with a healing environment that provide integrative medical care (mind, body, spirit, community) & perform research ...

Jun 5, 06 8:35 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Yes Thanks Heather, your observation is correct, It's pretty complicated although the 'philosophical' angle of the design is of equal if not superior consideration.

Let's put it like , say It would be something like a museum for 'pain 'cum an actual treatment centre /laboratory/library etc.

Now the question he's pondering about is about the iconic statement for the design.
How would one capture the idea of pain and 'relief' from pain as a
' form ' for the building/complex. ?

I was imagining something like a black structure with light bursting from within.I dunno..just thinking out aloud.

Jun 5, 06 9:54 am  · 
 · 
st.

I very strongly second beta's suggestion re: Scarry.

Jun 5, 06 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

nevermore ... does the 'philosophical' angle of the project really necessitate such a symbolic response? this desire for something iconic sounds kind of ego-driven and not that interesting. and visiting "a museum to pain" would be a rather dark and brutal experience ... sounds a little clockwork-orange as far as treatments go.

it seems like the research should lead to a philosophy towards the types of spaces that actually heal, not the forms that connote the idea of healing.

Jun 5, 06 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
AP

"I'm interested in more of a spatial complexity than a formal complexity," Ronan replies...

Jun 5, 06 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Heather, the technical and spacial aspects nothwithstanding and their integration with the function of the project..

when we are talking of the exterior form , friend's contention is that we have had architecture celebrating or denoting almost all facets of 'life' or human existence..except the topic in question --'pain'

from a philos viewpoint, its the only thing that is truely common to all of humanity ( besides being human )

A man may never be happy but will always experience pain at some point.
for e.g the process of birth itself is trauma for the child.
we come in pain itself !

I dont agree that its ego driven If we can have something like a tower to represent 'freedom' then why not something to iconize pain.

About the dark and brutal experience . I think representation of that should also be explored, cos it awakens us to the fact of them being an inescapable part of the cosmos and nature .

Jun 6, 06 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

I can't wait to see how your friend translates it! For me, it conjures up a whole host of imaginative potentials ... but when paired with "treatments," it just gets a little sinister and sci-fi ...

Jun 7, 06 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
psteiner

I would say read:
"The Problem of Pain" ~ C.S. Lewis...another viewpoint on the issue

Jun 7, 06 10:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: