Archinect
anchor

Lunch Time Adventures

Philarch

It is the time of day when we don't have to think about work or architecture. When I don't pack lunch (which is most of the time) I head out for lunch. Sometimes, I see a lot of strange things in the streets of Philadelphia.

Even though it is quite a walk, I like to make the walk to Reading Terminal Market for lunch once in a while. As I was crossing the street after the green light was on for a full second, a car almost ran me over. As I was glaring agrily at the driver, she proceeded to angrily BARK at me. And, yes, that BARK is to be taken literally. I was angry and confused. Today was the first time I've seen a blind person in the busy market. I really respect blind people that walk the busy streets (how do they see the traffic lights?), but seeing a blind man navigating through the busy market was something else. What was interesting though was that when he did bump into someone, they were all attractive women. I got my lunch at a Pennsylvania Dutch place that sells ribs. The woman there that served my lunch had more facial hair than me, although that embarrassed ME instead of being grossed out. On my way back from lunch, I almost got ran over again, but this time by a bike. This old man, who must've been over 60, was wearing spandex and things that no man should ever wear. He QUACKED at me. Again, that is to be taken literally. Is today some kind of "almost run over someone by accident and calm their anger down by confusing them with a sound made by an animal" day?

I have other stories, but I would like to hear other people's crazy lunch time stories.

Jun 1, 06 2:37 pm
sameolddoctor

why do you keep getting run over all the time?

Jun 1, 06 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

I'm guessing you haven't crossed streets in Philadelphia (or any other large city perhaps?). I would say about one out of 10 times, a car would try to speed across an intersection a full two seconds after the "walk" sign lights up.

However, that wasn't really the point of this thread. I just think it would be interesting to share crazy things that happen during lunch time.

Jun 1, 06 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

God Philarch that post makes me miss Philly with a physical ache in my chest.........I used to walk to the terminal too, and picked up my CSA share in the summer there. The fact that it is near the bus terminal makes for lots of crazy happenings in those couple of blocks.

Jun 1, 06 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

this thread title got my hopes up...

Jun 2, 06 8:22 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Sorry about the disappointing story... I was hoping other people had better ones

Jun 2, 06 9:12 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Philarch I like this thread idea, and if anything crazy happens at lunch today I will report so here.

For your entertainment on a Firday, here is a previous, though more food-related, lunch thread.

Jun 2, 06 9:18 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

its not you philarch its me. my mind is full of dirty dirty thoughts...

Jun 2, 06 9:57 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

I work in the Financial District in NY. I just walk around and snicker at all the people who have to wear suits to work.

Jun 3, 06 8:52 am  · 
 · 
TED

yeah, too bad as an architect you cant afford a suit or to eat you lunch in a proper restuarant that perhaps requires a suit. wonder what the suits say we they see us sad architects.

Jun 3, 06 9:19 am  · 
 · 
snooker

When I worked in Boston I had this female friend from Mississippi who used to come to the office where I worked at just around lunch time and we would go a grab a bite to eat. She was one of those women men just can't keep there eyes off of. It always worked out that a number of people were headed out of the office for lunch and would end up in the elevator with us. She would just start talking in that slow Mississippi drawl and you could see tge eyes of the male office countrparts rolling in there heads and their tongues sticking out like puppy dogs. We would go grab a bag lunch and head over to the courtyard at the Boston Public Library and enjoy one anothers company and then back to work for both of us. There was however one day in the elevator she ask me if I would go bra shopping with her, cause she needed to buy a new one cause she was going home to visit her parents the following weekend. Then she just said in the elevator, Goddd.....I hate to wear a bra.... Upon return from lunch I did get a good grilling from the male counterparts of the office.

Jun 3, 06 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

the question is if you did go "bra shopping" with her.

i've never heard it called that before. but that's a good one.

Jun 3, 06 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Yes we did!

Jun 4, 06 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Mark_M

Today I decided to eat out instead of the usual leftover dinner I eat. For going out on a limb I was rewarded with my new favorite Mexican place. Well its not really Mexican. There is a slight twist. I was expecting the usual “hola amigo” but instead I run into “how may I help you” in a Chinese accent. It was a Mexican take out with Chinese people. I thought to myself. “How good can this place be?” To my surprise the food was actually pretty good. And at the bottom of my bag there was a surprise……….A Fortune Cookie!!!!!!! What a great idea, Mexican and Chinese in one place. Think about it beef and broccoli burritos, egg rolls and enchiladas, general chicken chalupas, and endless possibilities.

Jun 30, 06 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

Was this near where a friend of mine lives off Torresdale Avenue in the Tacony section of Philadelphia, or just a fortunate coincidence?

It's becoming 24/7 adventures for me.

Jun 30, 06 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: