Archinect
anchor

Which school is better?

carla p.

I have been accepted to both University of Toronto and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for the M.Arch program. I am having trouble deciding which one to go to... I know UofI is a great school, but being a non-resident, the tuition is much a lot higher than UofT.
I am wondering if it is worth going into debt for UofI, or would UofT offer me the same opportunities?
Please help!

May 28, 06 6:15 pm
zeth01

chicago is way better

May 28, 06 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
grid

Looks like a good thread for me to jump in...

SCI-Arc vs RISD (undergrad transfer from another arch program)

May 28, 06 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
Emerson123

UIUC isn't in Chicago, it's about 2.5 hours away.

May 28, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

from what i know it seem they're not different enough to take on the cost

May 28, 06 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

toronto is better

May 28, 06 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yeah but does toronto have this stunningly racist mascot???

May 29, 06 12:01 am  · 
 · 
carla p.

why do you think Toronto is better?

as for the mascot, that is unbelieveable!

May 29, 06 12:13 am  · 
 · 
circle

You could go intern at a firm in Chicago for a year,
establish residency and then go to UIUC for instate
tuition.

Also, some schools, such as University of Cincinnati,
allow you to claim in-state residency after your first
year attending undergrad if you support yourself.
Check their policy, sometimes there are loopholes.

Good luck

May 29, 06 1:33 am  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

Toronto does not have racist mascots.... it does have this guy though.....

May 29, 06 3:05 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

ricky? he just got sent to the CFL.

May 29, 06 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
j-turn

where would you rather be ... suburban illinois or Toronto? That should be the first question to ask yourself, and you answer will say a lot about you.

May 29, 06 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
carla p.

That's a very good question j-turn, and hands-down I would definitely prefer Toronto... I've lived in the city all my life...
I just thought that UIUC has a great reputation and would open up more doors... now, this could be overrated... and I'm thinking probably not worth it...

PetePeterson, besides Toronto not having any racist mascots, what else makes you say that toronto is a better school?

May 29, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

I'm attending there

May 29, 06 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

and parallel38 isn't

May 29, 06 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

ok seriously now....

I have a really hard time with the "x school is 'better' than y school" statement......

I think it's completely personal, thus you have to look at your academic and professional goals (and perhaps financial stuff too?!) and decide which environment is better for you.

I honestly know nothing about Illinois-champagne other than the geographic location... that alone to me would be a HUGE problem. UofT's al&d is located in the middle of toronto. I grew up/have spent a lot of time in relative rurality so this is what i"m looking for. For me this seems to be a much more effective laboratory for studying architecture than suburbia.

as for specifics, this thread on CDN MArch programs has some usefull specifics on the UofT.

see you in sept...?

May 29, 06 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

and as many many have said before: 'it is what you make of it'

May 29, 06 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

Just so you're all aware, UIUC isn't "suburban Illinois." The suburbs stop about an hour and a half north of there. Expect a college town surrounded by corn fields. Great environment for studying architecture, no?

.mm

May 29, 06 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

my school is better than your school
but, yeah, I heard that one too, that UIUC is in the cornfields

May 29, 06 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well i work for a guy who went to illinois and i work with a couple of guys who went to illinois and i worked with a guy who went to illinois and they are all quite talented fellows. except none of them really know about deleuze,

May 29, 06 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
skeerd

i love them both, equally

May 31, 06 12:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: