Archinect
anchor

What's the big deal about that atrocious Apple Store?

bakema

Apple has to stop building such silly things.
Is there a shortage of good work out there?
b.

May 25, 06 4:41 pm
zeth01

yeah that thiing SUCKS!

May 25, 06 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

get the sand out people... just enjoy things once in a while

May 25, 06 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
Barrett

what would you have built in it's place?

May 25, 06 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
Barrett

its

May 25, 06 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

i;m going to go out on a limb here...

having only seen the photos i can't really judge, but i think the above ground portion is really reflective of apple's whole "function as object". the ipod is hugely successful because it is an attractive package for what is really just another electronic. so, myself, like this object sitting in a field. as for the downstairs, though, that could use a little improvement.

May 25, 06 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

What's the big deal?
For me, it's finally being able to get an appointment at the 'Genius Bar' so I can have my Powerbook and iPod fixed.

Do you not like the SoHo store either?

May 25, 06 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
blah

It's more branding than architecture... McFarlane's engineering is the most interesting bit. How the hell did he do that curved staricase? Who was the glazier? Who built it?

May 26, 06 12:06 am  · 
 · 
Barrett

TriPyramid did all the glazing connections in the Soho store, prob. did this project as well. Some pretty sick connection details on their website.

May 26, 06 9:48 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

Yeah, CompUSA is a much better looking computer store...

We've worked with TriPyramid a handful of times for some slick stainless steel fittings for railings and such - great people to work with. They got their start building custom fittings for racing sailboats.

I'm sure Depp Glass was involved at some point with the glazing & glass stair.

May 26, 06 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
bakema

OK. But what's the redemption in putting such promising detail work to use within such a meaningless, banal and non-provoking project?
Like masturbating without ever coming.

What's slightly more disturbing is that it does get featured as compelling, rounded work.

b.

May 26, 06 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

What apple store are you even talking about?! Location, please?

May 26, 06 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Am I the only one who doesn't have a working inventory of all apple stores in the world in my brain?!

May 26, 06 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Oh, I see, the NYC one.

It looks pretty fucking cool, to me! Except for the dinky shade over the front door. Rad!

May 26, 06 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

it does exactly what it's supposed to do: it advertises the product and brings in the customers. on top of that, it is elegant and restrained in basic form yet daring and innovative in construction and detailing.

it's, yes, like an iPod: a very streamlined, simplified, synthesized set of functions that have been condensed into one platonic form.

but also, i have no idea how it works downstairs

May 26, 06 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
bakema

fucking cool? daring? are you all kidding me?

Paxton's Crystal palace is from 1851 and Bruno Taut's pavilion is from 1914.

May 26, 06 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

sucks when you google for images and it links you right back to archinect

the thing about the apple "cube" is that the structure melts away (at least from the images i've seen, they tend to lie) whereas in both the werkbund pavilion and the crystal palace the structure is very much present and prominent. i mean, the werkbund pavilion wouldn't be the same without the rhomboidal panes of glass

you're pretty worked up about this

May 26, 06 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
bakema

not really. if i didn't have a passionate opinion about things, i'd be like a banal apple store.

i admit there's nice detailing and that's about it. it's meaningless and not daring. it belongs in a product magazine, not an architecture one.

i'll leave the taut and paxton discussion with the apple store for some parallel sci-fi world.

May 26, 06 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

it's a fucking retail space, lets gain some perspective here, it's not worth comparing to Crystal Palace. btw are you studying for PD or MM, because those references are right out of the ALS books...oh and from what i seen i like the little structure...

May 26, 06 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
e

yeah, i'm not sure what all the crying is about. there are far worse things to be throwing your arms in the air about. jeezus.

May 27, 06 1:00 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

its like an apple product: its all about the LOOKS

May 27, 06 3:13 am  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

They're nice looking computer stores built to draw people in from the steet. The think about steve jobs is that everything goes through him, i've heard he helped design it and the glass cube belongs to him so he can take it away if the store ever goes bust. My friend works at one an people keep on thinking it's an exhibition or a gallery space. he does mention that getting products around the store is very difficult and certain busy areas get really crowded. people also get really confused about how to purchase things. notice there aren't any signs on the shop floor. The look of the store goes with the products they sell, it's all about brand identity. Personally i find the interior to be dated (what is this the 90's?" comes to mind, all that's missing is the spice girls comming down the stairs). I think it would be cool if Herzog & de Meuron or Zaha Hadid were comission to design their high profile stores but there woulc be a huge bitchslap arguement with all those egos in the room.

May 28, 06 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: