Archinect
anchor

4 days in DC

i will be visiting our country's capital from June 8 -12, and was hoping to get some pointers on what to see...I'm looking mostly for the not-so-obvious.

don't need a place to stay.
not lookin' for a job.

so far, plans include the National Building Museum, Polshek's Newseum, the Finnish Embassy and food/coffee from some of the places listed in A's previously linked DC thread...

any pointers appreciated. thanks,
Aaron

May 25, 06 2:06 pm

the Phillips Collection on Q street near Dupont Circle

Eastern Market is fab, and awesome this time of year.

The Botanical Gardens are pretty cool. And free.

May 25, 06 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
n_

national musuem of art addition by pei.

also check out the holocaust musuem.

May 25, 06 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
raj

just so you know...the newseum is under construction...
i was there 2 months ago...it was still framing the interior walls.

native american museum was interesting...
also i really enjoyed the FDR memorial...

May 25, 06 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical
To See & Do in DC

Also, I'm always partial to the Sackler Gallery (Smithsonian) where you can see stuff like this:

and this:

and this:

and this:

May 25, 06 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
AP

thanks quizzical, that thread didn't come up on my search...

those artifacts are beautiful.

May 25, 06 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
AP

thanks raj, you saved me some disappointment...

May 25, 06 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Mark_M

go visit the National Cathedral in Georgetown. I beilieve it is off Wisconson avenue. Great Gothic church. In fact it is built exactly like how the gothic churches of Europe were built. I visited the building museum and I was rather dissappointed. It was sort of bland. Great gift store though. They do have some hard to find architecture books

May 25, 06 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
AP

...which reminds me, I need a new Moleskine...museum gift-shops usually have 'em...

May 25, 06 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

oh yeah! the national cathedral is really cool. take the tour of the catacombs. really great.

May 25, 06 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
tc79

Gund Partnership's National Association of Realtors HQ

Cablenet lobby of Roche's SEC HQ, east of Union Station. Behind the Marshall Bldg.

Also Roche's New York Avenue project under construction. Standard box but has 30 ft cantilevers to the edge of slab (no perimeter columns) and one-piece floor-to-floor C/W.

The Dubliner near Union Station.

May 25, 06 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
archtopus

Well definitely the Finish Embassy, Holocaust Museum and the FDR memorial. Try to avoid the WW2 memorial, unless you like irony (Speer, anyone?).

Unless you want to wait a couple years to come back, you might want to visit the National Museum of American History before SOM tears it apart and makes a new home for the Star-Spangled Banner.

There's also a lovely parking lot where the old convention center was (between 9th, 11th, H and New York, NW). Right through the middle is an odd exhibit called Art Walk that features some astroturf and large photographic art.

And you'll be there at exactly the right time to check out the gay pride parade and festival on the 10th and 11th.

May 25, 06 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
cosmoe32

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the Hirschhorn- its a must see. the sculpture garden is pretty excellent too...

May 26, 06 12:03 am  · 
 · 
AP

the Hirschhorn was mentioned on another DC thread... thanks for the reinforcement, though, and thanks to everyone for their input.

May 26, 06 10:24 am  · 
 · 
Gravitas

Not architetcure related, but, depending on whether or not you're into music, something I always like to do in new cities is check out well known music venues. The Black Cat is having the DC Mousetrap on Sat. 10th, it's a big britpop dance party which is always fun, assuming you like britpop. Also, in the area of the Black Cat is a pretty cool house designed by Division One Architects, which is at W and 11th street. It also happens to be just north of the world famous Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street, a must visit.

May 26, 06 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
e

good to hear division one is doing well. i went to school with those guys.

May 26, 06 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Gravitas

yeah, they're definitely one of the best up and coming firms in the city. One of my favorites at least.

May 26, 06 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
cosmoe32

ap- check your e-mail. i sent you a list of travel tips that i made for a friend. i used to visit there a lot a few years back...June is a great time to visit!

May 26, 06 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
AP

sweet, thanks.

May 26, 06 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

This is out of left field, but go visit the greenhouse at the Botanical Gardens. It's wonderful!

May 28, 06 11:35 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

I'm gonna put in one more plug for the Hirschhorn, it's one of my favorite museum. Right next to it on the Mall is the new National Museum of the American Indian, another great place!

But my all time most enjoyable museum is the Smithsonian's Spy Museum. My cousin designed it, and I have to say it's a pretty awesome place. Both fun and interactive, it has all these real live spy gadgets (like rings that shoot bullets!). Plus it has James Bond's old Austin Martin on dispay (with wheel spikes and everything!) Real stuff people! I would say if you only saw one thing, check out the spy museum! It's not on the mall, so make sure you plan out a way to get there first. And sometimes tickets can sell out early, so plan ahead your visit.

SPY!

May 28, 06 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

oh, and as far as music venues go, the 9:30 club is also a great place to visit if the Black Cat doesn't have anything to your liking.

May 28, 06 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
archtopus

Ha, the Spy Museum is definitely NOT a Smithsonian museum. Nor is the National Gallery or the Holocaust Museum, but it's a common misperception.

I would definitely recommend the Hirshhorn too. I work next door and visit during lunch occasionally. Unfortunately, though, an awesome Sugimoto exhibit that was paired with one at the Freer just ended. The Hokusai exhibit at the Sackler was pretty awesome too. Anyway . . .

May 28, 06 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
AP

too bad on Sugimoto...my girlfriend (who surprised me with this trip for my b-day) and I saw a Sugimoto show at the Cartier Foundation in Paris (by Nouvel) when we first started dating...that would have been a nice surprise for her...

May 29, 06 10:26 am  · 
 · 
e

superbeatle, how is the new 9.30? i left dc before it opened up and i am old enough to say that i saw many of shows in the original hole in the wall. for me, i'm sure the new doesn't compare to the old. i just have so many memories attached to the old dive. curious though.

May 29, 06 10:57 am  · 
 · 
hckybg

Visit Hollin Hills, a subdivision of modern homes in Alexandria, VA. Victor Lundy's Tax Court, east of the National Building Museum, is also worth seeing, although you won't be able to visit the breathtaking interior. And go to Southwest DC, which includes Breuer's HUD building and l'Enfant Plaza, an early project by Pei. Many of their failures (and successes) are visible, and they are important as part of one of the largest modernist urban renewal projects in the nation.

May 29, 06 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

the 9:30 is kind of the hotter of the two clubs right now. Although I'm still fond of the Black Cat's coziness, has that gritty club feel, and it really is quite small!

And yeah, the Spy museum isn't Smithsonian, I mispoke.

May 30, 06 8:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: