Archinect
anchor

Why is there an opportunity imbalance in the design/construction industry?

goldenoldie

I've noticed job opportunities are still somewhat common for structural engineers, mep engineers, civil engineers, landscape architects, interior designers, estimators and construction managers etc.... 

So, why are there few job opportunities for Architects?

Feb 27, 12 12:05 pm

Structural and civil engineers are perhaps bit better equipt to direct their services to other things such as industrial type projects that Architects are not involved in. Commercial interior people are probably busy with TI work, if no new buildings are going up, and there is an over abundance of empty existing buildings, firms that specialize in corporate interiors have an advantage. and so on and so on...

Feb 27, 12 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

golden - i think you're largely hearing anecdotal evidence. every structural engineer we work with was cut back to the bone and a couple went under over the past few years. they, civil engineers, landscape architects - all of them were hit as hard or harder than most architects.

if there's the perception of more ads right now, i'd think it was due to the fact that their networks aren't usually as deep as most architecture firms. meaning, architects may not be advertising the jobs they are hiring for (and many are hiring, even if it's quietly). they may be finding talent through internal networks and channels. for example, i know that one (formerly) very large firm in atlanta has added about 50 positions over the last year. not a single one was advertised that i can tell. people who were hired knew someone or just happened to have great timing with submitting a resume. 

don't be fooled though -the whole industry was incredibly hard hit. yes, individual firms and people came out fine, but overall i just don't see any direct evidence to say that we've been getting hit harder than everyone else.

Feb 27, 12 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: