Archinect
anchor

does anybody use sketch up?

post-neorealcrapismist

i have started to play around with the program sketch up and am amazed by the design possibilities this program has. i was just wondering if anyone else has used the program and if you have exported the model into autocad or max with any succes.

i am not now, nor have i ever been a post-neorealcrapist

Jul 13, 04 9:31 am
aKa

we need to collectively as a group stop using this software, it is useless on a long term outlook of modeling capabilities within the field of architecture, its a quick fix to the problem of the 35-55 year old architects inability to use the technology available.

Jul 13, 04 10:01 am  · 
 · 
35mm

our office uses it extensively for pre-design and schematics.
its very fast, but it definately has it's limitations.
it's just another design tool and you don't have to hire a cad jockey at $500/hr to use something like maya.

Jul 13, 04 10:08 am  · 
 · 
calatrava

sketch up for those who don't know the program is similar to it's 2d cousin squiggle. it diffirentiate itself from typical realistic rendering engine by producing hand drawn and non photo realistic drawings. although i do agree with aKa that sketch up seem to be lacking the modeling capabilities and technology of Viz, Max, Maya, Rhino, etc., and there are alternative to producing similar outcome (i.e. piranessi, etc.), there's always a place for a different type of media for those who don't appreciate the rigidity of the more realistic producing programs.

Jul 13, 04 10:12 am  · 
 · 
aKa

I wouldnt say my opinion is based on realism...its based on time and purpose.

if cad jockey 'A' sits down for an hour and models a building for predesign and makes a cute little hand drawn looking rendering in sketchup but then thats all they have.

and cad jockey 'B' sits down a models the same building in an hour and a half in forms z but now has the capabilities of doing a cute rendering, exporting the elevations, plans, interiors etc... into a drafting program for cds, or dare i say even do it in formz itself.

i only use formz as an example most other 3d packages can export the same information

the point is your wasting time..alot of peoples time...3d isnt just about renderings, if used correctly you can speed up the entire construction process.

Jul 13, 04 10:30 am  · 
 · 
calatrava

insert the inevitable BUT here.....why encourage anyone to stop using the program? there are many instances where people need a quick sketch for schematic design puposes and nothing more?

Jul 13, 04 10:35 am  · 
 · 
jhopkins

that's not even supposing building information modeling programs like revit which include 3d modeling into the drafting process.

Jul 13, 04 10:40 am  · 
 · 
db

for the early stages of design (pre-design/schematic) I've found in invaluable. While it's true there are more "useful" programs out there in terms of refinements throughout the design process, why would you want to generate 5 form*z models when only one (or more realistically, none) of them will progress directly into later stages of the process. I wold think in this instance that doing 5 SketchUp models in the time of one form*z one is more cost efficient. Once the client settles/decides, then commit the resources, and then do it for the long haul.

Besides, I've often seen clients wince at high-tech renderings too early on, it makes them feel locked-in (and hence locked-out) to the design process of the architect. Something "fuzzy/sketchy" is what seems to make them comfortable and engaged in the process. Of course, we could also just sketch by hand......hmmmmm.......

Jul 13, 04 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
aKa

db you dont have to do a 'high tech' rendering in formz or any other software, its in the manner of which your firms presents its work that is the issue. as for developing a refined model yes its true developing 5 versions at a high level is a waste, but that wasnt the point, if you do your little sketchup model, thats what you have you cant build off of it, its done and it sits there and you can print it but so what

with other packages you can develop it, refine it, detail it and export it

have any of you hacks ever tried to export from sketchup...see nightmare n the dictionary

Jul 13, 04 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Amandine

>its a quick fix to the problem of the 35-55 year old architects' inability to use the technology available

...ouch...

exporting out of sketch up is another story, but for importing 3d cad models into sketch up, if you first open them in 3ds max, then save them untouched back as dwg's, for some reason obscure to me (see aKa's quote above), they open perfectly into sketch up.

Jul 13, 04 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
aKa

sure you can bring files in...but if your already using the other software why trouble yourself and waste the time...

so Amandine explain to me how you export your custom millwork you model in sketchup to the fabricator to use on a cnc machine...

Jul 13, 04 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Amandine

I would go strait from my 3d model (cad, rhino) into lasercamm... sketch up is just for some quick client-pleasing animations with high contrast shadows which don't look like they're set in stone..

Jul 13, 04 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
Amandine

or MasterCad rather.. you know, it's because I just get students to do it that I'm unable to use the technology... checking out of THIS discussion... in over my head, shared what I knew..

Jul 13, 04 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
calatrava

aKa, i think you are missing the point here. sketchup is another media for the old school type who can't figure out your rhino, maya, viz, etc. and just want a quick and dirty no fuzz presentation. some clients actually do like this type of presentation the not the "set in stone" type. clients sometime gets turned off and gets scared of the more realistic drawings.

what's with the name calling? am i back in junior high? i bet my dad can beat up your dad!

Jul 13, 04 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

i think sketch-ups value is in the half an hour models with high contrast shadows. i use rhino and 3d viz allot, but they cannot create the same fast, raw feeling sketch up can produce. The drawings it can produce are excellent to take a pen or pencil to to add some detail. The time it takes to do a model and the final product are something i have not found with other 3d programs.

i do agree that any high detail model in sketch up is worthless, if the time is to be spent for a quality 3d model rhino, form z, or viz should be used.

i do feel sketch up definitely has its place in the early design process, whether you are a 55 year old architect or a 20 year old student.

long live the "i know you are what am i"

Jul 13, 04 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
aKa

calatrava, name calling? dont follow guy sorry

as for getting the point, i know why people use it, but i also know what the other packages can do, which is what sketchup can do and more, so why ad links to the chain. why ad to the complexity of a overly complicated profession that has a hard enough time doing the basics.

and just because the tools are there to do a 'set in stone' rendering doesnt mean you have to use them...

my root point is that the time your spending honing your sketchup skills you could have developed a better understand of a more powerful tool and thus grow as a firm instead of being comfortable and lazy.

Jul 13, 04 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
speck

you can export vector lines/dwg/ of elevations and sections and whatever the hell you want out of sketchup the same way you can do with formZ. no, its not as powerful; so if you know that your going to need high quality renderings of a project, then use formZ/Maya/Viz/Etc. But for the what the program offers and its ease of use, it has a definite place in an architects workflow.

Jul 13, 04 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
thumbs

aKa, I believe the name calling calatrava referred to is "hacks" and "cute little renderings" and "little sketchup model"...it's all about tone guy. You can lure more flies with honey. I haven't had a lot of experience with sketchup, what experience I have had I was not impressed. the point is, we should be moving toward integrated BIMs (building information models)...I can't say anything about any of particular software, as I haven't used them....but that's the direction that I think aKa is getting at...it's all about becoming more efficient...formZ is hardly efficient. You still need to export and add more and more information and create details...ideally with a BIM, all of this is done for you...all you need to do is score the drawings. Spending time...any amount of time, on an image or series of images for presentation is a waste of time if you can't use that same file to generate CDs...granted this all coming from someone in an office that still uses squiggle...

Jul 13, 04 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

i ve used sketchup for 2 years now and i think it is an awsome software, it is invaluable for pre-design sketching but also for final presentations, it all depends how you want to present your work.

I think it is also invaluable in helping students in college understand 3D, i think it should be mandatory in first year of school, it is fast and reliable.

Sometimes i use it to correct geometry before importing it into 3dMAX.

Photorealistic renderings are just one type of expression NPR is another, but the ability to make a model so quickly is unparallelled, later you can impor the same model into MAX and do the photoreal

sketchup ROCKS !

(mauOne is not an @last software re-seller, just a fanboy)

Jul 13, 04 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
35mm

BIM software is supposedly the way of the future, but aKa, it's not maya or rhino. it's microstation or revit (via autocad); in that order (check nbbj and other large offices).

we use sketchup to build quick 3d programming models. there is a definite point where you stop working in the program. we don't use it for photo-realistic renderings (or for wobbly-hand looking stuff).

it's a good tool for presenting the client with general massing concepts quickly. it leaves flexibility.

even after building an extensive site model in sketchup, if we want to study the sun shading in a room, it's quicker to make a small room model and put some detail into it (instead of revising the whole building).

Jul 13, 04 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
aKa

my point clearly stated without sarcasim is this:

if one wants a quick solution to creating images for the client to see..then fine sketchup works great i wish you all the best of luck with it.
but as i mention before it does not help" a long term outlook of modeling capabilities within the field of architecture" it actually hinders it by creating bad modeling practices because of its simplistic terms and tools.

i also never stated using maya(nor would I )for an architectural practice because it too has production flaws(mainly its propriotory files)
but as Thumbs pointed out what my root point was(muddled under saracasim) "we should be moving toward integrated BIMs (building information models)..." not having to jump around and repeat ourselves(which is what i feel like im doing now)

the idea of BMIs is simple because its about building on what you have to head towards production, and this includes pre design and presentation work.

I guess my frustration stems from seeing the firms Ive worked in jump from one piece of software to another because its the newest, tool without knowing the basics of the tools it already has.

example : "Sometimes i use it to correct geometry before importing it into 3dMAX'-mauOne

why didnt you just do it in max to begin with..last i checked you can model things in there too..you just wasted alot of your or your bosses time

Jul 13, 04 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

Dear Mr. aKa,

I disagree, i disagree the most with >> "we should be moving toward integrated BIMs (building information models)..."

Just because we should not be moving towards anything, I think we should use what we feel confortable with, and use the right tool for the right task, imagine the whole world moving towards just one thing, one tool for all, SO BORING.

On the drafting table u will find, pencils, pens and markers, each one to be used when appropriate and needed, you will find some tools even for experimentation.

MAX issue: I model in max most of the time, and i render there, i get awsome results and my boss loves me. Other times me and my boss sit on the computer and play with Sketchup, we make tons of different quick models and compare them......when we are happy with one, we take it to MAX and we make it look slick.

other times we make wood models,etc etc, this does not make Sketchup a bad software NOR a waste of time, it just makes it a singular tool, BIM is quite efficient and interesting, i used to work like that when i used Archicad, still now there are better tools for working that way, AND i will repeat myself saying that if that is YOUR way fine, but there are many oways that can be very interesting and fun.

Jul 13, 04 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

Remember it’s in Autodesk’s interest to push designers in o using a one stop solution (their solution). We use sketch up a lot in our office for early design and concept work partly because of the finish achieved and partly because of the easy intuitive way it works. (Even 35 year old Architects can use it).

It is one tool amongst many as we will export models in sketch up to rhino or max for detail or for a different quality on renderings and animations. Sketch up’s big bonus is that it’s fast, and in the outside lane of corporate practice - time is money.

mauOne makes some good points

Also software compatibility is critical if you are to get the best out of all the design software used, regardless whether you model in AutoCAD, Sketch up or Max.

Jul 14, 04 8:32 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I for one certainly would not mind more "simplistic terms and tools" in Maya and Max. And there is a "sketch" in the name, implying it's not for anything more than doing just that.

Jul 14, 04 10:34 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

I almost but stopped presenting with other 3d programs because they just looked fake to me...lines of sight, perspective - a little too mechanical. This however is because I spent most of my life as an artist.

Sketch UP is brilliant. It knows its corny, and it is. Its advantages are simple - its doesn't take itself seriously, its flexible, bloody fast, inexpensive in comparison to the touted 3ds, and old 35-55 yo architects can get off my arse

Jul 14, 04 11:22 am  · 
 · 
Jeremy

far as i know, sketchup is going to come as a plug-in to Architectural Desktop 2005, which integrates drafting and modeling with parametric objects (autmatically generating your door schedules right off your model for instance) and is linked to Viz 2005 (part of the package) where you can render it out and add actual light fixtures wiht correct lighting values.

this may be very useful. I have yet to try the sketchup plugin, but have been messing about with ADT 2005, which is a bit buggy so far, but pretty well thought out in terms of integrating modeling, rendering and CD workflow.

Jul 14, 04 11:29 am  · 
 · 
thumbs

Unbelievable...truly...some of you guys are pretty stubborn...it's not about one software or the other, it's about being efficient. It's about using your time as wisely as you can...do you want to spend a whole day on a door schedule...and then another day on the window schedule...and then during the CA process spend 4 hours revising 8 different drawings because you moved a window, or added a door, or edited some millwork?? My guess is probably not. So why would you want to spend x-amount of time working in sketchup, to then only have to go back and redraw shit?? You can tell me you can do all of that in sketchup until you're blue in the face, but frankly I don't believe it...sure you "can" do it, but how effectively?? How much detail can you have in sketch-up before it's not longer "so fast"...from what I've heard people think it's great for massing...umm...can you not sketch?? Can you not mass as quickly in other more sophisticated programs?? The idea of the sketch-up plug-in is intriguing...then it might have some merit...but whether you can admit it or not, you like sketch-up because of the rendering style...shit I do too...that's why I experimented with it, because I really like the almost comic-book style rendering...but I just didn't find it a practical software...mauOne...you said some pretty scary shit..."just because, we should not be moving toward anything". "It's about finding the right tool for the right task". Umm...ummmm........hhhmmmm....ummm....so I guess we shouldn't explore any new materials...because, shit we already have a number of materials...right?

Jul 14, 04 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
thumbs

Oh man, mauOne, I just read your post again...are you fucking kidding me?? I'm throwing my previous statement to aKa of "you can lure more flies with honey" right out the fucking window...you sir, need to be removed from whatever position you hold if it is within an architecture office. "We should use what we feel comfortable with"...seriously...you go right ahead using sketchup, and just sketchup because that's what you're comfortable with...and when they go under or are bought by Autodesk, and everything is now incorporated with a new software...likely called "Auto-whatthefuckelseareyougonnause-CAD"...you'll be answering phones because you just wanted to use what you're comfortable with. Christ dood, challenge yourself, everyday, or your brain will fucking atrophy...damn man, you're the fucking problem with my firm..."I don't want to try a new detail...we shouldn't be moving towards anything...and we're comfortable with the details we always use"

Jul 14, 04 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Dan

thumbs, i'm trying to understand what your opposition to sketchup is all about. It seems that you are saying that because the program is limited and the data is not easily exported. It is a waste of time to do any work on it at all because you will eventually have to re-do all of that work in another cad or 3d software program.

By this same level of reasoning, it must be a waste for you to do a freehand sketch or build a chip-board model for a client presentation. After all, you can't export an ink sketch into the computer or translate that physical model into 3d software.

Jul 14, 04 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

Mr. Thumbs,
you need to fukin' take it easy

and i'll take your Pepsi challenge on efficiency-BIM-modeling-drawing-rendering anyday of the week; but i wont get into that, because my productivity and my efficiency are all proven well by the results and awards i bring into my office.

If you dont like Sketchup, DONT-FAKIN'-USE IT. I will and i'll have so much fun doing it :o)

But don't come around here all messed up calling people things,

Jul 14, 04 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
thumbs

Actually Dan, you can do both of those things...more effectively with a 3d model...granted I've never used a digitizer, but they are out there...and have been for a few years...I'm not against sketchup persay, I'm against wasting time...when I used it, I wasted a lot of time...just to get an "image"...mauOne, you're right, I do need to take it easy, but let's be clear on what I was calling you out on...I was calling you out on your seeming complacency. I was commenting on your words, "we should not be moving toward anything"...it's called progress man, and progress is not accomplished through complacency. If you're an efficient jedi-master with your Sketch-up, then Bravo...I'd like to see your work, can you point me in the direction of your awards??

Jul 14, 04 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
thumbs

mauOne...you wouldn't by any means be Chet Chuang would you??

Jul 14, 04 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

LOL

Jul 14, 04 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
thumbs

sooooo??? You don't have any awards??

Jul 14, 04 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: