Archinect
anchor

Solar Decathlon

archtopus

So, is anyone else involved in any of the 2007 Solar Decathlon teams? I'm the project manager (ie. the non-faculty leader) for the University of Cincinnati team and it'd be nice to see who else wanders around here.

I know that many of the teams are run mainly by the engineering schools, but I'd of course argue that the architecture is more important. : ) Our faculty leader is actually an industrial design prof.

The schematic design deadline fast approaches . . .

May 23, 06 2:58 pm
WonderK

Oh really! What are you? Are you a DAAPer or an engineer? How big is the team, and is it very multi-disciplinary? I am very excited about this. I wish I had known about it in undergrad, I would have been all over it.

When's the SD deadline?

May 23, 06 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
archtopus

I'm starting the 2nd year of the MArch in the fall, and we have an undergrad studio (led by Anton) tasked with the schematic design and initial research right now, so I'm more in an administrative role. We also have an industrial design studio and some independent study engineering and business students involved. (And we've hired a graphic desing co-op to desing the team website.) Our initial submission is due to NREL (Natural Renewable Energy Laboratory, the DoE division running the SD) on June 13th. Then in the summer Terry Boling is leading a grad studio to push the design ahead.

The team isn't a very static size because we're integrating it with the curriculum so much.

May 23, 06 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I am very excited about this. And I'm not even in school anymore. Did you read the Dwell article about last year's winners? Dude, you guys have to perform. That Virginia Tech house was gorgeous. Also you should invent something.

OK I'm really going to bed now....

May 25, 06 2:01 am  · 
 · 

there has been a lot of unnecessary focus in schools lately on getting something built - 'real' projects. i've seen this go very (horribly) wrong. clients, patient or not, should not be subject to student projects.

the solar decathlon is a great solution for that pedagogical desire to have students try things out. if it works, great. if it doesn't work, hey, it was an experimental project. no one has to live with it. (i know, they're selling some of these. presumably that means that they are working.

and the goals are great, too. this is real r&d. new things will come from it, it's a great teaching experience, and the universitys can be proud of their architecture schools for buttressing to their 'research university' status.

May 25, 06 7:56 am  · 
 · 

one other observation: having been through this experience, these kids now already know a lot of things about building sustainably and well that i might never know.

May 25, 06 7:58 am  · 
 · 
A

Does anyone know when the 2007 decathlon is? Next time around I'm making time to come see the entries.

May 25, 06 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

archtopus, aren't you out for coop?

May 25, 06 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
archtopus

The 2007 Decathlon is, I believe, the first week of October, same as last year. I'm sure the website will say when it approaches: www.solardecathlon.org

5, yes, I'm on co-op in DC at the Smithsonian. Who be you?

May 26, 06 7:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: