Archinect
anchor

architecture supply stores in Los Angeles?

superstarchitect

greetings, fellow LArchinecters.

long story short, I need to find an arch supply store in Los Angeles (preferably around west LA). Any suggestions for cheap places with a good selection? (well, i only really need basswood and a pair of basswood clippers, but for future reference...)

thanks in advance!

//nick

May 21, 06 6:58 pm
justavisual

pearl, the art store, and michaels all have basswood. not hard to find unless youre looking for something out of the ordinary.

May 21, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

the best store for supplies on the westsite is Graphaids on santa monica and bundy. Their website is a bit cheezy, but their prices and stuff are great.
Also there is Utrecht, which is also on santa monica bl, a few blocks east of graphaids.....

May 21, 06 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

There's also a Graphaids location on La Cienega, just south of the 10 Freeway, south of Washington Blvd.

May 21, 06 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
skeerd

graphaids is great plus you can usually get a student discount

May 21, 06 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
superstarchitect

thanks guys! will go to graphaids later today.

May 22, 06 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

The Graphiads on La Cienega kick's the West LA Graphaids's ass for selection, for architects anyway. The West LA one is more painter-ly.

May 22, 06 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i think it's more linear than painterly rationalist... note the defining black edge around the forms.

michaels is for grandmothers. go to graphaids or pearl.

May 22, 06 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
superstarchitect

awesome, i just realized the la cienega location is like 5 min. from home... haha... i can just bike there, really...

May 22, 06 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

yea michaels is for hobby-housewives and grandmoms

May 22, 06 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

haha. I meant the selection of supplies was painterly, not the shop itself...

The only good stuff I've ever found at michaels was dried foliage for scale trees.

May 22, 06 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
pourstone

SCI_Arc supply store...

and Roark in downtown LA

May 25, 06 3:00 am  · 
 · 

Roark moved, they're by USC now. At Figueroa just north of Adams, I think. I keep meaning to visit Rob in the new store, but my location keeps most of my business at Graphaids these days.

May 25, 06 10:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: