Archinect
anchor

Architectural Association SummerSchool

kay

Hey Everyone,
I'm an Architecture student, 2nd yer. Studying in Jordan.
Recently I have been accepted to join the AA School's Summer-School. I want to know what you guys think about it, whether it's worth it or not. Obviously the AA is an amazing school. But I'd like to know what else can I do while I'm in London to get used of that experience.

May 21, 06 10:43 am
kay

please any comments?

May 21, 06 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
TED

patience ...rome wasnt built in a day

May 21, 06 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

i have a friend who attended AA summer last year. She seemed to enjoy it. She's currently a high school senior but supposedly most people there are college students. typically summer arch programs are good exposure to what architecture schools are like. if you've never had such exposure to an architectural education, it's probably worth it so you can decide for yourself whether architecture is right for you.

May 21, 06 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
kay

no man I'm now passing to third yer already. And I'm doin great at Architecture. It's just that going to London for me being an intrnational student and other circumistances makes it really hard. But eventhough I thought I should not lose that chance. So I just wanted to know if I made the right decision.
And sine I'm there what else can I do to also get used of it while I'm in London.

May 21, 06 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
d-t

Think of it as a summer holiday - bootcamp in London, respectively you will get a chance to see London critical-working perspective, as opposed to eyes' of a tourist. Think of yourself as Londener for 3-weeks.

TED: Are you in London now?

May 21, 06 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
kay

No, not yet. I will be in London at the beginning of July. I might stay at a relative's house, Oxford Street.. Supposed to be close to the AA.
I'd really appreciate it if someone can help me out at least the first couple of days. Show me how to get to the AA, and I also would liek to visit Cooper. Please let me know.

May 21, 06 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova
Junkieonur

had gone for the AA summer school... I think last year.
maybe you should shoot him an email ? ..

May 22, 06 6:05 am  · 
 · 
kay

Alright I'll try contacting him/her. thanks supernova

May 22, 06 6:10 am  · 
 · 
henrik

The AA is very close to Oxford Street - walking distance. Nearest tube is Tottenham Court Rd. - basically you''re in the heart of London.

I think the AA summer school will keep you quite busy - whether it's worth it
or not I think will be up to you, which is an easy answer, but true a lot of the time :-)
If you're seriously considering applying/transferring to the AA at some later stage of your degree, I would say that it is worth it (I'm not sure if by "worth it" you mean the money/your time/the effort...or all of them)

If you already doing a degree in Arch, have you considered doing something else/related to this - if you're really set on going to London, the Slade school of art also runs a summer school, although I've been told this is often frequented by very rich American women (!?) - but maybe it would be nice to just practice some drawing/sculpture/photography skills that could inspire your course work in unexpected ways. Hmm...I made that sound a little dull...

Other than that, there's lot to see and do in London - check listings/gigs for your favourite bands/theatre company/artist whatever and chances are there's something somewhere that'll be of interest to you.

If you're able to come a little early you might be able to catch some of the LAB: http://www.architectureweek.org.uk/regional06.asp?region=13

Sorry about the long post.

May 23, 06 8:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: