Archinect
anchor

Europeans are HILARIOUS

oe
the cellardoor whore

US Americans are a fortuitous association of saturated fat, sugar and obtuse naïveté. A nation of bubble gum buoys floating on a dead placid sea of oil and lard.

May 21, 06 2:55 am  · 
 · 
notone-co

Where are you from?

May 21, 06 3:45 am  · 
 · 
doberman

Yes they are.
...and as we all know the rest of the world is a heaven of culture, taste and refinement.

May 21, 06 4:33 am  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

no, the rest are mexicans, terrorists and potential terrorists. and none of them like bubble gum much.

May 21, 06 5:38 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

did he say "it's the aROCKalypse" ?????

May 21, 06 5:38 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

"On the day of ROCKening"

May 21, 06 5:39 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

needs more cowbell...

May 21, 06 7:53 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

yeah the finns might be hilarious but the lithuanians are the winners

...kind of reminds be of something that tenacious d would do

May 21, 06 10:27 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I guess nobody here has heard of GWAR?!? Welcome to Virginia, circa 1985.

May 21, 06 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

they were the kings

May 21, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Elimelech

wow that song sucks. I have heard about these guys for a while and expected them to rock... they sound like a cheesy ass archie band.

May 21, 06 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

yeah, they are like a less-awesome, less-musical, less-norwegian version of TURBONEGRO.

-andrew

May 21, 06 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
noci

americans are bam margera

May 21, 06 7:37 pm  · 
 · 

they were working hard though. gotta be SWEATING in those monkey suits.

oddly, the rest of the euro music on that site was about the same quality. pity.

May 22, 06 10:29 am  · 
 · 
tsq

Buts thats the whole point (if not the original reason) for the competition. Even in Europe as a music competition the eurovision lacks credibility.

Many countries do not put forward musicians who might have a chance of winning, as the national broadcaster of winning country then has to host and pay for the following years competition.

Like with many tv shows where the public decides who wins people purposely vote for the most 'outrageous' performer instead of more serious musicians. That combined with partisan political voting for the neighboring country, i.e. take Germany for example who usually gives maximum points to Turkey because of the huge expat Turkish population living there vote en masse, means that more often than not the result is farcical.

In some ways its similar to American Idol, where established musicians would not risk their repuation by entering and where its really about entertainment and not about finding the most talented performer.

Many people vote to subvert the chance of more serious contenders; for instance a transexual Israeli diva won it a few years back. While some countries treat it seriously most people see it as a bit of fun. Its also lame to admit watching it; so no I didn't!

May 22, 06 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

title;
'REAL FACE OF EUROVISION CREATURE'
and that says a lot.

May 22, 06 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

man ... that sucked big time !!!!!

May 23, 06 1:58 am  · 
 · 
Medit

Eurovision has always been hilarious.. more than hilarious it is usually quite pathetic, but people don't mind that, its just pure TV entertainment.. in fact, most people don't even care about the songs -less about the singers/musicians-, they wait for the polls on who votes who (neighbouring countries always voting each other, etc)... nobody takes it seriously because its not designed to take it seriously

May 23, 06 3:12 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

And now, as a finn, I have to say that mr.Lordi totally rocked! The music is 80's kiss-pastiche-shit and the joke is old - but in the context of the eurovisions this was absolutely great - mostly because we here feel that the whole Lordi-thing is absolutely genuine: the guy builds all the masks and everything at his own kitchen table with his wife - casting the latex-masks and doing all the work that is required - the group and everything about it is made with love. The succesful farce needs a big heart to actually be funny and/or touching, and this was it. (compared to lithuania, that was just a "prank" without the heart)

so. that's my 2cents from over here.

May 23, 06 3:48 am  · 
 · 
doberman

i saw the highlights on the news the other night and i cracked up when i saw the guy being given the prize, holding a bunch of flower in his scary homemade outfit... totally out of place and ironic but really funny... they really made a mockery of the whole thing, which is quite refreshing i think...

May 23, 06 5:07 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

yeah yeah actually, since i moved to europe i had seen so many weird things at TV (wont judge which TV is crappiest european or amercian, TV is in general the "idiot box" right??), but eurovision i have to admit was hilarious and saw some stuff i couldnt believe, my favourites where the Lithuanians with all the irony to say we are the champions from the beginning, LORDI which of course is a straight copy of GWAR, but still they where mocking everyone watching and the whole Eurovision (pop) nature but also keeping it loyal to it in certain twisted way (the kitsch part).... but one of my favourites where the Polish guys...damn funny...song which started w/ a white Polish MC guy, doing a reggeatton version between english/polish/spanish ending with the phrase "...a mi me gusta la gasolina..." (amazing i was already on the floor laughing at the end of the song's intro, just 10 seconds of song) and then appears a group of singers which was a blend between evanessence/locomia thing singing as bsb or abba style (i dunno something really pop) with a lead singer with a huge nose, and traight long green hair, with his wife being the seconf voice and the wife pregnant, that without forgetting the guy at the end of the performance rubs his wife belly and saying to the camera "my baby! is beautifull" hahahahaha havent seen so many kitsch/cliche elements in a performance in a long time...

the rest was a colection of ppl showoing breats and skin in order to compensante their lack of talent, so im glad those guys won, and im glad they r giving tribute to GWAR concepts....

dudes..is just plain kitsch fun, like amercian idol (actually amercian idol is worst since they try to say that is serious, eurovision is straight kitsch, and they wont ever deny it)

"...i know its only rock and roll but i like it..."

May 23, 06 6:39 am  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

true. u.s americans have a complete lack of irony. the institution is built on a deliberate mythology of retracting the rest of the world's irony = the american dream. and, how ironic, the un-ironic manner by which they use 'dream' ( always a dream away from reality). it is not surprising that venturi and the like are just too damn serious. lets generalize.

May 23, 06 7:33 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

those costumes are nice...and the battle axe/microphone is a great touch...but, really, it's the hat with the finnish flag motif that puts the whole performance over the top and captures the prize.

May 23, 06 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

oh my god what is your deal with scandinavians? you should be banished to the U.P. for your obvious bias to their kind.

May 23, 06 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Helsinki

join us. join us.

May 24, 06 4:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: